• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTC One M8, tried to convert to GPE, stuck in Fastboot

Ok,

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation, you're right, I dind't know what I wanted.

I don't affirm I know now, althought I'd like to think I do, so I'll be very simple and ask everything so that I don't make any silly mistake this time.

So, to try the Digitalhigh GPE ROM, do I follow the process as it's described in the XDA post right?
  1. Install Verizon 5.x firmware, which I'm thinking is the one that appears below "CARRIER FIRMWARES - VZW USERS" ?
  2. Flash GPE firmware on top of the VERIZON CARRIER FIRMWARE I installed in the previous step. I'm thinking I need the one that comes with HBOOT, don't I?
  3. Flash the 5.1 GPE ROM
  4. I suppose Reboot and phone should be ready!

But before all that, I assume I should do a backup to restore to my current state in case anything goes wrong. Can you point me into a good tutorial on how to create and save a backup as how to restore it?

Also, whenever they say Install and Flash I think they refer to the same right? Use the "flash...." comand in fastboot don't they?

I really appreciate your help! Thanks

Upvote 0
Here's what you flash with fastboot -

- recovery: TWRP or stock
- firmware (very usually)
- RUU (sometimes)

Here's what you flash (aka install, yes) with TWRP -

- roms
- patches
- updates to roms and patches
- custom kernels (very optional, not required)
- some firmware (very rarely and in such a case the thread will clearly say so)

Here's how you make an image backup, aka a nandroid backup -

- go into TWRP
- ok to choose RECOVERY from HBOOT
- choose BACKUP
- accept defaults (boot, system, data)
- optionally: ok to change to backup to sd card
- optionally: ok to choose compression, and usually a good idea
- optionally: ok to give the backup a name you like

How to restore a nandroid backup -

- TWRP
- RESTORE, choose a backup you made
- WIPE, ADVANCED, wipe only cache and Dalvik

Tell you what.

How about starting with easy, forget my earlier advice for now, and accept my apologies for going for the more advanced work first - I wasn't thinking.

Here's what you do -

- install the latest TWRP

https://dl.twrp.me/m8/twrp-2.8.7.0-m8.img.html

Place that in your fastboot folder, go to FASTBOOT USB mode and say in command window -

fastboot flash recovery twrp-2.8.7.0-m8.img

- On phone, go to HBOOT, RECOVERY and make a nandroid backup of what you have

- get the ViperOneM8 rom

http://venomroms.com/htc-one-m8/

Boot your phone up, copy the rom zip file over, and go back to TWRP.

INSTALL, choose the ViperOneM8 zip file.

The ViperOneM8 Aroma installer launches.

When prompted, choose -

- Verizon
- full wipe
- stock rom
- no other changes

Reboot and set up phone. It's pretty nice actually.

When happy everything is working, long press power for menu, choose reboot, choose recovery and presto, it takes you right to TWRP.

Make a nandroid backup of the newly installed rom.

Reboot system.

There - that will take you through a round of the basics with an advanced rom and give you safe practice on the mechanics.

Please don't take what I said about not wanting what you wanted in a bad way. I really meant it in a friendly way, sorry if it didn't sound like it.

Reactions: karlangazz
Upvote 0
Thanks again for the detailed explanation!

I'll try all these in some hours.

I didn't take what you said in a bad way, I honestly recognized I didn't know all what you explained and that's why I say I didn't know what I wanted... cause I didn't understand the differences and the process involved. So, don't worry man and thank you for explaning to me me all this!

To confirm.. should I use the latest version? ViperOneM8 4.5.0? or which one?

Upvote 0
Hi man,

I did as instructed but when the homescreen was supposed to load I got an error about a process failed. After that, all apps have got updated, one by one, and I could open and see apps after they've finished updating but I can't see the home screen nor choose apps to open.

This is what I see as home:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwRKcAC_V-OsdVkzNUZBWVdTNTA/view?usp=sharing

So.. I'm thinking I would need to reinstall the ROM?

Upvote 0
Hi man,

I did as instructed but when the homescreen was supposed to load I got an error about a process failed. After that, all apps have got updated, one by one, and I could open and see apps after they've finished updating but I can't see the home screen nor choose apps to open.

This is what I see as home:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwRKcAC_V-OsdVkzNUZBWVdTNTA/view?usp=sharing

So.. I'm thinking I would need to reinstall the ROM?
Exactly.

Every so often, a bad install or bad rom download happens.

Just redo the install and as before, choose the clean install / full wipe.

If it fails again, we'll assume a bad download and I'll show you how to get around that.

If nothing else, you're getting the learning opportunities but I wish you better luck so things don't get confusing! :eek:

Upvote 0
Hi man,

Everything went smooth this time, also I think they updated the Venom ROM becasue today latest version is 4.5.1 whereas yesterday it was 4.5.0. I used the first.

So, I didn't logged in my gmail account so that no app gets installed/sincronyzed according to my profile...but I suppose that's all that I need to do now right?

I should now finally enjoy my new phone!

Or do I need to do something else?

Regards!

Upvote 0
Hi man,

Sorry for the delay but I hadn't been able to continue because I didn't had my nano sim to test everything on my phone. I had a Nexus 5 that uses micro sim so I had to change that one for a nano sim... So, I just got my new nano sim today but I'm not able to use 3G o LTE Data Service. Whenever I reboot the phone I get a message that says "Non Verizon SIM" "This SIM card is from an unknown source".

I assume thats fine, I live in México City and my sim's carrier is Movistar... but I'm guessing that shouldn't be a problem, or is it?

Anyway, I've been looking on how to solve this issue but everything that I find says that I must add my operator APN, but I can't do that, no matter what "Preferred Network" I choose (LTE mode, LTE/ledacy 3GPP mode, Global mode), whenever I go into "Access Point Names" I don't have the plus "+" icon to add new APNs and the only thing I see is the message "Access Point Name settings are not available for this user"...

I've been looking for a way to solve that message so that I can add a new APN... but I haven't found anything other than enabling airplane mode and restarting the phone... which I already tried, but doesn't work.

Do you have any idea of what can be the problem?

Thanks a lot!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones