• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC One M9 or Samsung Galaxy S6?

Which smartphone are you more likely to get?

• HTC One M9

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Samsung Galaxy S6

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Some other phone being announced at MWC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some other phone already released

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Some phone you know will be announced later this year

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Are you crazy? I can't afford no stinkin phone this year!

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
According to an unnamed source claiming to be a European carrier executive, speaking on condition of anonymity, and not confirmed by Samsung.

Will be great when it's known to be true.

They talked smack with the S5 and backed down after analysts called them out, months later. Sell-in product sitting in warehouses and listing units unsold on a P&L as future revenue doth not maketh real sales. I think the S6 is going to have an indentity problem with the iPhones and more share will be lost. I greatly appreciate my Note 4, but IMO they have made bad moves with the S6- as they did with the S5 in the opposite direction. The design direction with the Note 4 that is selling well would have been better IMO. They could have made the device "purty" and not compromised the practicality of the S and Note brands.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Whomever came up with the bright idea to slap the biggest camera on a phone without OIS will get fired.

By "biggest" I assume you mean "biggest pixel count"? Funny then that Sony, who know a bit about designing and making cameras, saw no need for OIS with a 20.1MP sensor. ;)

Image stabilisation improves IQ by reducing softness caused by camera shake. A higher-res sensor won't cause this - if anything it will help as the lens is likely to allow more light in, which allows faster shutter speeds to be used.

Seems like they [...] did not know bigger camera doesn't equate to the best pictures...lol

Actually the size of the sensor, and to some extent the resolution of the image, DO equate to "the best pictures" in terms of IQ. The quality of the lens and the in-device image processing also play a big part.

Samsung has been showered with 20 million orders for their new flagship.

All of which are, right now, based purely on retailers' speculation and hope. Not a single end-user order has been placed yet, and until real-world demand becomes clear any figures bandied about are meaningless.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I'm not sure what I'll go with. I can tell you it most likely will NOT be Samsung. It's been my experience that these phones are all hype. My first Samsung was a Charge. OMG. Worst phone ever made, 'nuff said. The next one I got was the Galaxy S3. Second worst phone made. Oh, I like the phone, love the screen, but it's just not dependable at all. In fact, I'm on my FOURTH one. First one burned thru the battery so bad that the Verizon store deemed it unusable. Second one turned off anytime I tried to use the camera. The third one just flat out died. Shut off one day and just never restarted. That was all in one year's time. I've had the fourth one for almost a year, and while it works, it seems like it lags constantly. Given the fact that when the S3 came out it was "all the rage", I'm hard pressed to believe that the S6 would be any different. Looking at HTC and others.

Upvote 0
UK networks are usually at least equally bad for only offering the smallest capacity version, but I can see the 64GB versions on pre-order with my network and the 128GB version on offer through the largest independent chain here. Hopefully Samsung will have been able to push the US carriers into taking the larger versions as well.

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones