• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC one S doesn't start

cubicap

Apr 18, 2016
Hello,
I have HTC one S which is something around 5 years old. About a week ago it has, I think, discharged to zero. From the moment I am not able to start it up. First the LED indication was not shining but after some time in charger (I am not sure but it cold be an hour or two, maybe less, maybe more) the LED started shining orange - I thought it started charging. But the LED color didn't change to green after, again not sure, 20-30 hours. Now it shines orange everytime I connect it to the charger.

I have tried to dismantle it but even though I got quite deep I haven't seen anything what seems to be burned or broken (no, I haven't measured the parts with multimeter, I just have had a brief look at it and haven't seen anything, what seems to be burned). I haven't measured the battery, because I don't know the pinout of it but it doesn't seem to be inflated.

Now it is back put together and still doesn't start up.

EDIT: I forgot to say that the device is not rooted.

EDIT2: I have tried to plug it to a PC and it makes a "noise" that the device has connected but I can't access it even through adb.

Last edited:
Well, I have done the thing I had had to do first - I have measured battery voltage. I have measured something around 3.2 volts which is, I think, not enough to start the phone. Probably the battery is dead, because it doesn't charge even though the voltage on the output to the battery is around 4 volts (when the phone is connected to the USB charger).

I have bought new battery and now I am waiting for it.

Upvote 0
Well, I have received new battery but it doesn't seem to help. The phone still does the same - only orange LED, computer recognises it as qhusb_dload... I don't see any change.

And yes, I tried to charge the phone for about 30 minutes or so.

I have read this, it sounds like an "idea" but I can't find any drivers for 64-bit Windows 10.

Upvote 0
I've just discovered that when it's connected to the computer and I hold power button for, I don't know, 10 seconds the phone disconnects and reconnects again (still as qhusb_dload).

I've also found some qhusb_dload drivers for Windows 10 and QPST, with which I should be able to reflash the phone's bootloader. The trouble is that when I choose right files and click download button, window pops up and says something like "Cookie (if present) not received."

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones