• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC One specifications and discussion (Keep thread on topic)

Upvote 0
According to HTC, that's the case, 2 frequencies, as the Sprint version isn't the GSM model -

HTC One Overview - HTC Smartphones

EarlyMon, so according to that page the One on Sprint should have the following:

2G/2.5G - GSM/GPRS/EDGE:
850/900/1800/1900 MHz

1900/2100 MHz with HSDPA up to 14.4 Mbps

3G - CDMA:
800/1900 MHz for Sprint

LTE
1900 MHz

I guess this is correct since the 2G/2.5G did not specified that is is specific to a particular handset or company?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
From AnandTech | Print The HTC One Review (empasis below is mine)

Receive diversity is mandatory for LTE, but even the UMTS/WCDMA only One includes it since is is again required in part to enable the all metal design. All of the One models are based on Qualcomm's 28nm 2nd generation LTE baseband, the MDM9x15 platform we've seen a bunch of, and its DC-HSPA+/GSM-only (LTE blocks fused off) sibling, MDM8215 for the UMTS/WCDMA only model. This is a big step up from the international edition of the One X and One X+ which both shipped without receive diversity and were based on the aging Intel/Infineon XMM6260 platform.

Like any LTE-enabled handset right now, there's still no way to deliver a single SKU with support for all of the bands that are required, even with active tuning, just due to what transceivers we have. As a result there are a number of different announced variants of the One, which I've outlined in a table. There's also the rumored Verizon model which will no doubt just be a cousin of the Sprint version but instead with support for Band 13.

53723d1367108538-htc-one-specifications-discussion-keep-thread-topic-htc-one-bands.png

htc-one-bands.png
Attached is the datasheet for the Qualcomm modems used in the various models.

The Sprint model's modem will do GSM/GRPS/EDGE, but we've seen this same confusion on the releases for the Evo, 3vo and LTEvo - the modem support is there, but the limiting factor is always the actual radio transceiver chips.

The ifixit teardown is for the middle model with the MDM9215, so I don't have the transceiver chip to show (yet).

Could I be wrong? Yes. But it's rare for either AnandTech or I to get this one wrong.

PS - when clean, this will go into the FAQ were it belongs, it also helps answer questions about the DEV phone and what carriers it can work with.

PPS - Big thanks to marctronixx for the reminder and tip here! :) ;)

Attachments

• gobi-product-specs.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 97
Upvote 0
ok, so I'm thorough confuse by this phone. Sprint keeps telling me it is a world phone yet cannot tell me the frequency this thing have....

That last column with the Sprint model shows only two GSM bands and the CDMA and LTE for sprint. The GSM is for data I believe. How then will it make phone call if it is a world phone unless it has the other bands....

Thanks everyone for trying to shed light on this puzzle for me.

Upvote 0
The two bands on the Sprint phone are popular elsewhere in the world - world phone.

I was in Korea, in an area with CDMA coverage with the same exact frequencies we used - even with the radios matching, I had no coverage.

I've been in parts of Asia with AT&T GSM phones where I could call but not get data.

AT&T's model has 3 frequencies rather 2 or 4.

More frequencies = more coverage...

... supposedly, but even when the frequencies match, you don't get guarantees and when they don't - you're stuck.

Closest you can get here is the ATT or T-Mo phone (but so far as I know, that last one is doing its own thing with AWs on one of those channels, so for world coverage) - you'll still max out at 3 with those.

UMTS frequency bands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS - you can do voice on UMTS - http://www.umtsworld.com/technology/wcdma.htm

Upvote 0
Here's an oldie but a goodie from 2006 - GSM, EDGE, WCDMA, GPRS, HSDPA

1- GSM: 2G Europian standard and the first digital mobile system. It offers only circuit-switched traffic (i.e voice calls, SMS...etc) and data transfer at very low bitrates 9.6kbps.

2- GPRS: also reffered to as phase 2+. It offered packet-switched traffic with new network components integrated over the existant GSM core network. This allowed data bitrates to increase to 171kbps. It is also considered as the first step towards 3G networks.

3- EDGE: It was made to cover the delay of delivery of 3G/UMTS network. It supported data rates upto 384kbps.

4- UMTS: the first 3G Europian standard network. It is the optimal solution for GSM operators to support 3G services. The Air interface technique used for this network is WCDMA. This technique allowed data rates to reach 2Mbps.

5- HSDPA: It is actually a software upgrade to the UMTS network using the same air interface technique used in UMTS (WCDMA) and supporting data rates upto 10Mbps.

hope this data is useful.
These standards are part of 3GPP Evolution.

They evolved as below.
GSM-->GPRS-->EDGE-->WCDM(UMTS)-->HSDPA.

GSM did not support packet data.
GPRS supported packet data at 171.2 kbps theoretically with new network elements in Core network (SGSN and GGSN).
EDGE uses same network elements as GPRS but with new Modulations (8PSK) instead of GMSK in GSM/GPRS. EDGE supported 384 kbps theoretically.
WCDMA(UMTS) is a 3G evolution for GSM family. it supports 2Mbps on forward link. WCDMA uses different radio access network (node B and RNC) rather than BTS and BSC in GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks.
HSDPA is nothing but the improved downlink packet data transfer on UMTS networks. IT supports upto 14.4. Mbps theoretically.

*Note:- GPRS,EDGE and HSDPA are DATA networks only i.e. they do not support circuit switched voice. GSM supports circuit switched voice and circuit switched data both. UMTS supports circuit switched voice and packet data.
Pretty sure that (most of) France won't be a problem.

Upvote 0

Some updated legal info/news on the HTC/NOKIA/ST MICRO situation:

HTC found blameless over Nokia microphone technology used in the One

What do y'all think the deal with Nokia and the microphones?
HTC One HDR microphone disappears from spec sheet after Nokia injunction (updated)
Will HTC find and use something high enough quality that we who waited will not suffer?
On that subject, does anyone know of any other productions changes or concerns moving forward?

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
http://focustaiwan.tw/news/ast/201305160033.aspx

One production doubling this month and increasing again next month on the heels of the SGS4 release is just huge.

Pretty sure that the microphone isn't an issue now, and they're getting screens from Japan Display, the as in the supplier from Japan, so I'd be very surprised to see a component change there as well.

I'm interested to see what the increased production will bring. They planned for it, so we'll see.

Upvote 0
Production capacity for HTC One to double in May: executive | Tech | FOCUS TAIWAN - CNA ENGLISH NEWS

One production doubling this month and increasing again next month on the heels of the SGS4 release is just huge.

Pretty sure that the microphone isn't an issue now, and they're getting screens from Japan Display, the as in the supplier from Japan, so I'd be very surprised to see a component change there as well.

I'm interested to see what the increased production will bring. They planned for it, so we'll see.

This is huge news for HTC and Android in general. I've always considered Apple to have the best quality built products including phones. This is no longer the case I think. I personally have seen a few Ones already while I have only seen one HTC One X from last year.

Upvote 0
This is huge news for HTC and Android in general. I've always considered Apple to have the best quality built products including phones. This is no longer the case I think. I personally have seen a few Ones already while I have only seen one HTC One X from last year.

This is a little tangential to your point - but last year's Sprint variant of the One X - the HTC Evo 4G LTE - actually set the stage for this year's One.

HTC has done aluminum before on their old Windows phones but the One is in a whole other class - and a big part of that is because it's not their first attempt.

Check out the statements on machining and metallurgy in the following and you'll see why I think that the LTEvo was in many ways actually a prototype for the One.

Opening line - "We're always looking years in advance..."

The chassis construction of the One has been the product of evolution as much as invention, that's why it's so good right out of the gate - in my opinion.

Until recently, while the biggest thread here was what accessory to get, the biggest thread (of about the same size at the time) in the SGS4 forum was comparing it to the One.

HTC, as you say, is definitely winning with their design specs.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I understand that this is not HTC's first attempt and the Evo LTE is also aluminum. However, the Evo was nowhere close to this in terms looks and feel due to the fact that half of it was that shiny plastic. The worst part was that they were two different colors. I think look wise the One is just that much better which was why I did not bought the Evo LTE although I could have upgraded.

:)

Upvote 0
This is a little tangential to your point - but last year's Sprint variant of the One X - the HTC Evo 4G LTE - actually set the stage for this year's One.

HTC has done aluminum before on their old Windows phones but the One is in a whole other class - and a big part of that is because it's not their first attempt.

Check out the statements on machining and metallurgy in the following and you'll see why I think that the LTEvo was in many ways actually a prototype for the One.

Opening line - "We're always looking years in advance..."

The chassis construction of the One has been the product of evolution as much as invention, that's why it's so good right out of the gate - in my opinion.

Until recently, while the biggest thread here was what accessory to get, the biggest thread (of about the same size at the time) in the SGS4 forum was comparing it to the One.

HTC, as you say, is definitely winning with their design specs.

In my opinion of course, I think even down to the naming of the device shows their degree of planning. It seems to me that the letter X has a long history of being associated with prototype naming schemes. From golf clubs to guns to airplanes.
One X -> One, while confusing and frustrating helps exemplify the timeline of moving from iteration to improved iteration of a device.
Variants, which can also be confusing and frustrating helps allow the company to try different builds, materials, and processes. Which can down the road help hone in on what works the best and what didn't work.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if this phone supports Bluetooth AVRCP 1.3 or higher? My car can display track info and album art when I use Bluetooth audio, but the Nexus 4 (or really stock Android) only supports AVRCP 1.0. This means I can play audio through my car over bluetooth, but I can't see track information. I previously had a Galaxy S3 and that supported AVRCP 1.3. I'm hoping HTC has made this modification to the One. Does anyone know?

https://support.htc.com/en-us/070-HTC_One_X_ATT/0M0/What_Bluetooth®_Profiles_does_my_device_support?

EDIT: NVM.. that was the X :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Post @21 in this thread:

EM says it best:

But there will be simultaneous voice and data on LTE?

I remember being very excited that WiMax allowed simultaneous voice and data. Having it would completely change the way I am able to do my job, as I often need to be on my laptop and phone at the same time, and I tether to my laptop. Simultaneous voice and data would allow me to leave the house during times that I'm not at the office.

I never did get WiMax in my city.

:mad:

Yes, normal voice plus 4G data, where available, will work - same as for WiMax.

The coming thing is VoLTE, simultaneous voice and data over LTE alone. Last year at the intro of the LTEvo, Sprint CEO Dan Hesse said that from that phone forward, all Sprint LTE phones would have that capability. I don't know that it's been implemented anywhere on the network yet though.

Upvote 0
I've just upgraded to this on Sprint's network from the EVO 4G LTE and i didn't really think about it but...it appears i'm not able to place calls and surf at the same time. My prior phone was capable of this. Is the ONE not able to do this?

I'm guessing you're in an area where 4G LTE hasn't been deployed just yet.

If you're on 3G,it's not possible.The EVO 4G LTE & SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 have the capability (SVDO) on 3G.

SVDO - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I found this post from ANDROID CENTRAL which pretty much sums up why your SPRINT HTC ONE doesn't have simultaneous voice & data on 3G:

The Samsung Galaxy Victory was the last Sprint LTE phone released to support SVDO. Sprints SVDO capable phones were setup so that EVDO and LTE shared the same transmission path thereby leaving the 1X radio to transmit independently from EVDO. Due to the buildout of Network Vision, that feature won't be needed for very long. I wouldn't let it get to you. If you want that feature, use your old phones until LTE comes to your area

It's one of the reasons I switched to T-MOBILE.If your purchase of the ONE was tied-in to a contract renewal,I'd consider a return/refund & release from contract without penalty if possible,& select a GSM carrier (T-MOBILE or AT&T) which have simultaneous voice-data on 3G.

Or,as the quote above suggested,if you still have the EVO 4G LTE,I'd just hang on to it until 4G LTE is available in your area.

Reactions: rangergrrl
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones