• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC One. Worth it or is there something better?

Niceitup

Lurker
Mar 10, 2013
So I've been following this phone for months now and I've been incredibly excited to make the switch from iOS. My only concern is not about the actual phone, but the company. They are in a world of hurt and now they are facing delays and angry customers. Not to mention the launch date of their last hope will be right in line with Samsung. I prefer this phone hands down to the galaxy line, since I have owned a note 2 and G3. I'm planning on using this phone for 1-2 years so that being said I'm extremely nervous that if something were to happen to htc I would be stuck with a phone and no updates or support. What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are that my second choice is an EVO LTE, and I would be in same boat anyway. My wife and I like the HTC phones and sense. If something should happen that makes me think HTC is doing the deep six, I'll wait for the Google/Motorola phone (name escapes me). I don't care for Sammy or touch whiz. Great devices, but not my cup o' Joe.

Upvote 0
At the end of the day, your contract will be with your carrier I would presume? So if anything happened to your phone it is to them you would turn, rather than HTC themselves. If this means that there aren't any more HTC Ones left then I would like to believe that you would be offered another phone if the problem and contract permitted it. I hope they wouldn't just say "Sorry, there is a problem with your phone and although the agreement allows us to replace it, HTC don't exist anymore so tough." If you bought the phone direct from HTC, it's a different matter of course.

I will grant you that updates might not be forthcoming but i'm sure a work around could be found that didn't require you to root the phone once some of the community devs got their heads together.

Also, if the reason you are not buying a product is because the company might go to the wall, if everyone felt like that, it would hasten their demise.

I say go for it, live with your heart rather than your head. :)

Upvote 0
Also, if the reason you are not buying a product is because the company might go to the wall, if everyone felt like that, it would hasten their demise.

Most people aren't such nerds they come to internet message boards researching the phone they want. They just walk into the carrier store and let the salesman sell them something.

So, I wonder how much the perception of what people who really follow these things matters.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones