• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] HTC One X Factory Reset Problem

I have an HTC One X. I purchased it from a third party. The device is rooted and unlocked.

My phone's battery died. Once I went home to recharge it, the device was unable to get past the white HTC quietly brilliant screen. I would reboot it by pressing the volume down button + power button to reboot it and factory reset it. However, it continued to do this action. Then, I chose to reboot it under some setting. After I rebooted it, the device went to a "teamwins" screen. I erased everything, including the rom. Once I did this, it re-booted the device and continued to be on the same screen. Since this action happened, I connected it to my Windows 7 PC. I noticed that my HTC One X could not be identified as an external hard drive, it was identified as a CD rom drive.

I tried to fix this problem by looking at other forums containing this topic. Here is what I tried:
- I tried to go to HTC X support. I downloaded the current system, and tried to use it. When I tried to use it, it kept saying error.
- I uninstalled the driver and tried to re-install it, it came back as a CD rom drive.
- I restarted my computer, pressed f8, and put disable driver signature.
- The driver re-installed as a CD rom drive.

Can anybody help me identify my problem, and a solution for it?!? Thank you so much :).

When trying to mount it, I got these options:

- mount system, mount data, mount cache, mount sd card

For some reason, I was only able to mount system, data, and cache. I could not mount the SD card until I did all three other steps first. I did the three steps, unplugged the device from the PC because it said 'please remove device from pc before mounting.' It didn't show up as a drive on my computer. Next, I did the other three steps, connected it to my PC and it said I had to reformat it. I did reformat it, and it came out to be an external hard drive.

I unplugged it, and re-plugged it back in to see if it would come as an external hard drive again. It didn't. I went back to the TWRP menu, tried to mount it, and I was able to mount the SDCard. I did all four options, and it still didn't show up as a drive though.

I did the steps you told me to do, which was only Mount the SD card. I did that, and now it appears as an external hard drive.

What do I do next? Sorry for explaining every detail, but I really want my phone to get fixed and just to make sure what actions I was doing could have triggered something else.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Because your bootloader says "tampered", I'm not entirely sure what options are available to you re reverting back to stock (I'm not sure RUUs will run if that's the case, although I could be very wrong there). If you want to go for a custom ROM, that's relatively easy.

Let me speak to someone and I'll let you know. :)

Upvote 0
Ok, Post 2 of this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1868236

There's a downloads section, you want the top file (the 649MB one), download that. Also, download the mini SDK from here: http://androidforums.com/faqs/443072-adb-guide-updated-12-05-2011-a.html (it's only a small file, much better than the full SDK).

1. Install the Mini SDK using the instructions in the above link.
2. Open (don't extract), the ROM zip file and look for a file called boot.img, place that in the folder you've extracted the mini SDK too.
3. Boot your phone into Teamwin, mount it as USB Storage as you did before and copy the rom zip file to the root of your SD Card.
4. Unmount the phone, and reboot to the bootloader, selecting fastboot once there. It should say Fastboot USB about a 3rd of the way down the screen.
5. With the phone still connected, open a command prompt on your PC and navigate to the folder you've installed the SDK. Ensure it contains files called boot.img and fastboot.exe
6. On your PC, type the command fastboot flash boot boot.img, press enter
7. Once done, type fastboot erase cache, press enter
8. Once done, using the volume keys on your phone select bootloader, confirm with power, then select recovery
9. In recovery, select Install zip from SD Card, then Choose zip, then select the rom zip file.
10. If it asks for a full wipe, say yes. After that, just follow the install process through to completion. If there's a default install option, you want to go for that. If it also asks about a custom kernel, you're not running one so you just need whatever the stock option is.

I can't be sure about the exact install process once in TWRP as the ViperXL install differs slightly to the version for my phone. If you just select the default for everything for now, that should be good enough. We can start with messing about with settings and other options if we get you back up and running.

Anyway, once completed, it will give you the option to reboot your phone which is what you want to do. Bear in mind, first boot can take 10 minutes or so.

Hopefully that should work. It's quite late here so I'm heading to bed so I've asked someone much wiser than I to keep an eye on this thread so if it doesn't work, just let us know and someone should be able to help. :)

Upvote 0
I have downloaded the mini-SDK and the Viper-Rom. I opened the command prompt. I extracted the SDK file to my local disk drive C:/ ... I typed in this:

c:\sdk-tools
^^ I opened the command prompt on my desktop, so it was entirely this command: C:\Users\_______\Desktop\cd c:\sdk-tools

The response to my command was: The system cannot find the path that is specified.

Could this be because Viper-Rom hasn't completed downloading yet?

Sorry for the late response, I was without a computer :c

Upvote 0
I have been stuck at the command prompt. The command prompt has stayed at ' <waiting for device> ' for 30 minutes. Is this normal?

This is what the command prompt looked like:
c:\Users\_____\Desktop\sdk-tools> fastboot flash boot boot.img
<waiting for device>

I'm going to leave the device over night, if the process takes much longer than that. Please let me know if there was some sort of error in my step, or this is normal! Thank you :)

Upvote 0
It says Fastboot USB.

This is what I did:
- I pressed Fastboot, and went to the third option
- The third option says: Factory Reset

It does say Fastboot USB, but it's at the top and highlighted in red. It's not an option, it is where Hboot or Fastboot would usually say where it is.

I tried to access TWRP, and I mounted the SD card. I was unable to, I had to reformat the disk. The storage is completely empty now, and I'm going to try to re-do my steps again.

I did these steps to get to the command prompt:
- Download mini-SDK
- Extracted mini-SDK to my desktop
- Opened viper rom, but did not extract it
- Put the rom's boot.img into the mini-SDK folder
- I moved the viper rom zip into my phone, but it was in the TWRP folder. In the TWRP folder, it contained nothing and I just put the viper rom zip
- Then, I used the command prompt, and got stuck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones