• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Htc one x no screen rotation

Tried the following:

Checked settings and auto rotate is ON

Reset phone
Turned phone off for 2+ minutes
Cleared HTC Sense cache (as instructed by HTC)
Forced stopped HTC Sense & Reset (as instructed by HTC)
Factory Reset phone

Nothing works, no rotation in any application

T mobile just said straight away that they would send a new one and it will be with me within 48 hours.

Other than that the phone is the cats conkers.

Upvote 0
The guy from HTC said he had never heard of this issue.
The guy from T-mobile said he hadn't but while we were sorting out delivery of the new phone he searched on google and saw a number of people having issues with ICS.

I agree and hope it is not the start of something bigger as the phone is fantastic but trying to email, web search, txt and play the odd game is very difficult with the screen always in portrait.

New phone arrives in the morning so fingers crossed,

Upvote 0
I just called my vendor, to complain about the auto rotation issue, and here's the step to fix, which worked for me.
Restart the phone, and go to safe mode (restart, and once you see the HTC logo, long press the volume down button), it'll restart again and go into safe mode.
Go to Settings, Display & gestures, G-Sensor Calibration, then calibrate, make sure to put the back of the phone on a level surface, this time, it shows calibration complete not aborted when I did it before in the normal mode.

Restarted the phone and it works fine now.

Thanks,
Mohamed El-Ghazaly

Upvote 0
Same problem, phone One day old. Internet crashing too.... Why did I bother thinking anything could be better than an iPhone . Think this thing might be going back.... IPhone 4s or 5 me thinks .....

Welcome to AF! :)

Sorry you're experience with the One X hasn't been great so far, if you take it back to wherever you got it from, the retailer may well be able to offer you a replacement. Unfortunately, you can't garauntee every shipped unit is going to be perfect (that counts for all electrical goods), so get a replacement and see what you think, don't be so hasty to give up yet.

Upvote 0
Tried the "safe mode" recalibration, it didn't work.

A friend said that there could be a dedicated orientation sensor as well as the accelerometer and linked me to a Sensor DV,

I tried that and the phone just crashed. That may have been down to me as I aint the best at the real tech stuff.

Decided to put it back in the box and make sure I don't screw it up any more than it is.

I am just waiting for the new phone to arrive, thanks for the feedback.

Does anyone know what T-mobile are gonna do with the faulty phone when they get it back?

Upvote 0
Hey there! Its been over two weeks since i got the phone
. Yesterday my accelerometer stopped working... AT ALL! Ive tried absl everything, including the safe mode boot, the factory reset and the g calibration. None of these things helped. It cant even rotate the flash video to fullscreen on some pages and it cant rotate the videos from my gallery.

Upvote 0
My HTC One X had problems with the auto screen rotation. I got it replaced and the new one has been fine so far.

It is a hardware fault. Reboots sometimes fixed it but sometimes the functionality would just come and go at random. My wife's One X has never had a problem, so I went down the replacement route while I still could.

HTC should know about the problem as I reported my issues to them on a couple of occasions and I know other HTC devices have been affected in the same way.

Upvote 0
I ended up getting mine replaced for this issue.

I had a chat with one of the HTC reps via the HTC website and as soon as I told them what the problem was, they told me to send it in for replacement/repair straight away, so I'm guessing they're very aware of the problem. :)

Just sent my device for a replacement... this is my second time, btw! First it was the display and its yellow spots, and now this... If the new one turns out defective... it will be Quietly Leaving You... :( And I do hope they replace the unit, instead of fixing mine, cause then ill be cracking like hell...

Upvote 0
Hi Guys!I fallowed all the instruction but nothing worked until I downloaded one of the apps Ultimate Rotation Control from Play Store which has option called force rotation(can also rotate main screen).At the beginning it did not work so I switched back to SAFE MODE and fallowing another tip I disabled Fast Boot in battery settings.Back in Normal Mode phone started rotating almost everything.It took me 4 hours,I tried almost everything and I was more and more convinced that it was hardware problem but not.Only this combination brought G sensor back to life.Now Im more than sure that most of the problems you have are because of software not hardware and do not give up guys just keep on trying and Im sure u will get it going again:)

Upvote 0
Dear Friend,

It's not Hardware fault also. Don't try flashing or Installing ROMs. Its an unknown error. You can have the solution I mentioned below. Try this friend.

Its an unknown error of HTC one X. I also discovered it. When it was ICS 4.0.3 it was very good. After updating to 4.2.2 Jelly Bean the problem happened. Please follow my instruction that may help you. When you will find your G sensor calibration stopped.

1. Just Disable Auto rotation from Setting--> Display Gestures & Buttons. Or you can disable your Auto Rotation from anywhere you can find in your device setting. Just Uncheck the Auto Rotation.

2. Power Off your HTC one X. Remember No Restart. Just Power Off.

3. Leave it for 10 minutes or 20 Minutes.

4. Now restart and see what is happening. Your G sensor is working or not. You may go to Camera you will find it is Auto rotating. Leave your Auto rotation Setting. Just open the Camera and see Auto rotation is working or not.

5. If it is OK now you can check Auto rotation if you want to open browser in Landscape Mode.

6. If you failed or you have the same problem you just Go to the Power and Uncheck Fast boot and again follow from number 1.

I am confident because that really worked for me. I don't know it will work for you or not. I already told you this is such an unknown Error. May be a conflicting issue with HTC one X tegra Hardware to the JB 4.2.2 Android.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones