• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC ONE X speed issues

Perhaps.

But good kernels work wonders.

Example, the Atrix complaints I've heard are not shared by Photon users - both have the Tegra 2. In fact, most Photon users are adamant about its snappy, lag-free performance. No idea why Motorola hasn't squared that away so both models perform the same, but there it is.
Ah! I did not know that about the photon users not having issues, so I see your point about implementation at the kernel level... Interesting... At the very least it's solveable so long as somebody hops on it
I'm quite used to seeing launch day or launch week or launch month updates from HTC, so much so that I expect some out of box problems until users feedback what's wrong.

HTC still has a great update record and they do listen.

I agree that htc has a pretty good track record for fixing major issues especially on flagship devices like this. We can't really express the consumers right to bring this to their attention enough.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Well, I joined to add my voice to this. Long time reader though.

Picked up my HTC One X yesterday after my faithful Desire was getting a bit old for modern apps and webpages.

Figured I'd try out the Car Mode, so I went out with some music on and dialled in a destination. As expected, the music cuts out when voice guidance is due. What wasn't expected was the delay between the music going off and the voice coming on.

I don't know whether I haven't configured everything yet, but sometimes the delay was so bad, it was after the junction. And this is a feature that's been advertised quite a bit.

Thought I'd post, since my Desire didn't really miss a beat when navigating. I assumed it would go like stink on a flagship model, but it would appear to lag also.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums, Cessquill! :)

Thank you :)

Just checking at lunch and it's about a 3-4 second lag between cutting the music out and speaking the instruction. Then the music comes straight back on (annoyingly it doesn't fade out/in or pause, but hey). Other things like rerouting and the display are super quick though.

There's also another very noticeable lag in Navigation - when it's giving you the next instruction, the voice will say something like...

"in quarter of a mile" - { 5 second gap } - "turn left onto Main Street".

Finally (and a bit OT), I don't have an official cradle - I'm just launching the car app. The navigation software that comes up on mine does not match ones I've seen in the video. It appears to be launching the stock Google Navigator, and not one optimised for car mode. That is, I don't get a full screen mode (got notification bar along the top), and there's no now playing, clock or car mode notifications down the bottom.

Video example is here HTC One X Car Stereo Clip hands-on - YouTube

Is there a difference between car mode when cradled and launching the car app? And can anybody else confirm these Navigator lags?

Upvote 0
Hi again guys. Like I said before, I took my One X into the Carphone warehouse where I bought it and I'm now on my 4th handset. The 'Geek Squad' people had a look, then looked around phones they had in store running ICS and found they were all doing exactly the same. They therefore concluded that the One X itself isn't having problems, it's ICS and they need to bring out an update. From their experience, when a new version of android comes out, it's never perfect at first but they often quickly bring out updates.
Hope this helps guys, it's helped me and now it's just a matter of waiting for some updates.
Good luck

Upvote 0
Hi again guys. Like I said before, I took my One X into the Carphone warehouse where I bought it and I'm now on my 4th handset. The 'Geek Squad' people had a look, then looked around phones they had in store running ICS and found they were all doing exactly the same. They therefore concluded that the One X itself isn't having problems, it's ICS and they need to bring out an update. From their experience, when a new version of android comes out, it's never perfect at first but they often quickly bring out updates.
Hope this helps guys, it's helped me and now it's just a matter of waiting for some updates.
Good luck

Huh... I see very little lag in my Galaxy Nexus (stock 4.0.2) other than the multi-task switcher and occasionally opening the camera...
Do you have a setting under "developer options" to "Force GPU rendering" ? that was causing a few headaches with older games early on in the Galaxy Nexus world... try it both checked (on) and unchecked (off)

Upvote 0
As ICS was developed on the Galaxy Nexus, it ought perform as a model citizen.

Other handsets are likely to need a bit of catch-up.

Things that are obvious to us as issues somehow seem to make it past a lot of testers.

I won't even guess why, that just is what it is, regardless of brand, model or Android generation.

Very true... I suppose it might either be a sampling issue for QC test units, or just differing opinions/definitions of "acceptable/negligible" issues. As purchasers we traditionally set bars rather higher for manufactured goods (as opposed to crafted goods), while manufacturers are constantly trying to speed up production as much as possible while trying to guess at where consumers have their bar set. Its the constant Idealism/Realism dichotomy...

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I've lost all faith in the One X and HTC's solutions. I'm taking it back tomorrow for a replacement to see if all One Xs are the same. If so, I'll demand a refund so I can maybe buy the Galaxy Note. Never thought I'd say it but the One X has really let me down.
Guys, get your phone and set a live background, then try navigation aross the home screen. Watch the background, it's heart-breaking :/

Me too, I've made my mind to do the same as you. Anyway it was a good experience to know the extendability of android. Now i don't think i'm ever gonna get back with iOS (but still pros and cons exist). Just could you keep posting about your queries to HTC please?

and also I unlocked my HTC one x to test the phone with the issues and not sure if i can get a replacement or refund if i re-lock it(when phone boots in recovery mode, there is a line saying 're-locked' damn it)...

Upvote 0
Me too, I've made my mind to do the same as you. Anyway it was a good experience to know the extendability of android. Now i don't think i'm ever gonna get back with iOS (but still pros and cons exist). Just could you keep posting about your queries to HTC please?

and also I unlocked my HTC one x to test the phone with the issues and not sure if i can get a replacement or refund if i re-lock it(when phone boots in recovery mode, there is a line saying 're-locked' damn it)...
The HTC rep. I was talking to has said he'll take it to a higher level if I provide details of my phone, apps that lag and a video to demonstrate this. I've just done that so I'll keep you posted on their replies. Hopefully he can get the message to developers :)

Upvote 0
The HTC rep. I was talking to has said he'll take it to a higher level if I provide details of my phone, apps that lag and a video to demonstrate this. I've just done that so I'll keep you posted on their replies. Hopefully he can get the message to developers :)

Cool. I contacted HTC via their website today detailing the issues I've been having. Never sure whether it'll amount to anything, but we'll see.

Upvote 0
Hey guys,

Ive been playing with my phone (HTC One X) and i found that if the following is selected it slows down the phone. It loads everytime i pressed the home button (middle bottom) for about 5secs or longer as i assume its shutting down your previous operation/app. Have a go yourselves:

Go to: 'Settings' - scroll down to 'Developer Options' -scroll down to 'Apps' section - UNCHECK 'Don't keep Activities' and 'Show all ANRS'

That might solve some problems, might not have been selected in the first place.
Hope this helps

That's brilliant, I enabled that just before I connected the phone to Eclipse and that's when I noticed every time I went "home" it'd say "Loading..." for a good few seconds - I guess it's the Activity reinitialising.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
For me, the lag when switching between screens (or mainly the initial swipe after unlocking) isn't as noticable if I don't have any of the HTC Widgets active on any of my homescreens. I don't know if any of you want to try that, see if it works for you?

I've not noticed lag in games though, but I've only tried Sonic CD and Samurai Vengeance THD.

Upvote 0
Well, I opened a support call with HTC regarding the lagging on the Navigator software (plus the fact that the Navigator app wasn't displaying well within the Car Mode).

Their initial response was to put it into the Car Dock (which I'd already told them I didn't own), but after further clarification they offered some solutions (cache clearing, factory resetting).

However, in waiting for this final suggestion the Maps application auto-updated with a "critical bug fix" in the list of updates.

Fingers crossed it's been OK since then.

I'm wondering whether apps will need a rewrite/tweak/recompile to optimise them for a combination of hardware that's not been considered before.

Upvote 0
I hope I don't jump into conclusion here, but I guess this whole discussion just proves that aSMP in Snapdragon SoCs seems to work a lot better than Tegra 3's SMP and Snapdragon SoCs have better backward compatibility with older apps. A lot of apps need to be fixed in order to work with Tegra 3. Personally, I believe Qualcomm' statement when they said that their aSMP approach does not require further complicated software adjustment.
Given HTC's long standing relationship with Qualcomm, I expect them to have better software implementation with Snapdragon S4 than with Tegra 3 as well. Guess we have to wait until the One X LTE becomes available to have a better comparison between S4 and T3.

Upvote 0
hi i'm new here and finally found people who have been having the same problems as me. My home screen was pretty much unresponsive, it was infuriating. It turns out it was the live background i had on, which really is a shame because a phone of this power should be able to handle that with ease. There are still slight lags when swiping on the home screen but not enough to be an issue, my home screen is quite cluttered anyway. But yes a lot of my games aren't running smoothly either, the most notable being MegaJump. It's a free app, so try it on yours and see how it is. I'm just glad it's a universal problem that will probably be fixed and not just my phone.

Upvote 0
Been reading through this post with interest and just wanted to share my thoughts so thought I would sign up.

Basically I had the same issues as described here. I thought my phone was faulty and I was gutted. After reading a post on xda I thought I would try out a new launcher because I prefer the stock android look anyway.

I have to say that with this new launcher (I picked Nova in the end, but there's loads of others) my phone runs amazingly smooth and battery lasts longer. Theres even options on most to set live wallpapers not to scroll which cuts down on lag. I know we shouldn't have to customize to make our phone run in an acceptable way, but isn't that what android is all about? Isn't that what set's us apart from the Apples?

I do have full trust that HTC/Nvidia/Google will sort all these issues out with updates. My previous HTC devces, leading back a fair few years before anyone even knew who they were, were all great for updates.

Plus I've seen the news about Jelly Bean coming to our One X, who fancies a bit of project butter? I know I do.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones