HTC or MOTO

Last Updated:

1. bugsysdog

bugsysdog New Member This Topic's Starter

I just got the moto three weeks ago, and have untill the 18th to exchange. Do you guys think the HTC is that much better to make the change. Or should would you wait a month for the new Moto's to come out. I am coming from a moto Q9 so using the droid is like an upgrade from the NES to the PS3. I love the phone, but since i waited three years to upgrade want to get the best i can.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Chugworth

Chugworth Well-Known Member

Well I love my Moto Droid and I don't intend to replace it for a while. But if you have the option of switching to an HTC Incredible for free... It is a better phone.

However, Moto Droid has slightly better screen resolution. And I have heard that the Incredible's touch screen tends to freak out when it's sitting on certain surfaces. Incredible doesn't have a hardware keyboard either.

bugsysdog likes this.
  3. jamo

jamo Well-Known Member

I like the Incredible from what I've heard and having handled it, but I would want to see it in direct sunlight before I pulled the trigger. I've heard it gets totally washed out in sunlight, to the point where you can't see the screen.

4. JustROLLIN

JustROLLIN Well-Known Member

I think you should go read about the "Sense UI" as that would be a fairly major deciding factor when deciding between the two phones.

5. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Careful with posts like this...your likely to get an onslaught of our random opinions based on the things that we find important in a phone. :D

Would I take an incredible over a Droid...No.

Here's a question for you...What are the three things you like most about the Droid and what are the three things you dislike most about the Droid. Then what you want to do is compare those pro and cons to the Incredible.

Example - I love having a keyboard and I for one actually LOVE the Droid's keyboard. I have an HTC Touch Pro 2...and I prefer the Droid's keyboard (crazy right). Now the HTC Incredible doesn't have a physical keyboard (big plus for the Moto Droid :))

You picked the Droid 3 weeks ago when you could have picked the Incredible...why? Are those reasons still valid? If not...will the incredible fix it.

Here's another consideration for you. There are some rumored phones coming out in the next 6 months or so that are REALLY nice. You could send the droid back (pay the restocking fee) pick up an ERIS on ebay for $200 and see if sense is something that you like. Then when a new phone that beats the Droid and Incredible...you'll still be eligible for the "New Every 2" upgrade through Verizon. It's not the best decision for now...but you may wish you did this in 6 months :D

Edit - You could pick up a used Droid on Ebay as well...but you'd spend more...just an afterthought.

dmodert66 likes this.
  6. stevehy

stevehy Well-Known Member

UBRocked is correct, there will be an onslaught of opinions, so here is another one. :)

Moto (current production) phones are better constructed than HTC phones, although the HTC phones are more slickly packaged (Sense UI, etc.). Moto phones have better radios than HTC and generally better phone functions. Lastly, all plastic phones while light are not quite durable IMO.

7. MicroNix

MicroNix Well-Known Member

And as another random opinion, I totally have disagreed with UBRocked in the past and will take a Touch Pro 2 keyboard any day over the Droid's crammed keys. There's nothing like a little space between the keys. The Droid's KB is flat, all the keys are crammed together and the probability of hitting 2 at the same time is, well, let's just say I'd like to have those odds when playing the lottery!!!!!! I'd be a rich man!

The Incredible is a very nice device. HTC's onscreen keyboards are much nicer than stock too though there have been articles on how to get them installed on the Moto Droid.

My bottom line: If you don't mind rooting the Droid, you can make it quite the little power house. If you don't want to root the Droid, then I'd take the Incredible because of the speed. It makes for a much nicer experience when comparing stock to stock. But weigh what is best for you. The *total* experience.

8. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

This is a highly contested stance that I've taken...but it's my opinion...

Can't contest this :D

Running Froyo (2.2) @ 1.0GHz (might be a long time before the incredible gets 2.2)
    [​IMG]

9. Dmordarski

Dmordarski Well-Known Member

Although the htc does have a few specs that are impressive... I hate htc build quality, I can never get through a two year contract without it breaking

10. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

If you don't like to root HTC....is you do like to root MOTO.

11. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

Yes, you will get a lot of random opinions. And here is mine.

My coworker lost her Droid and ended up getting the HTC Incredible. I played with it for about 30 minutes the other day. It is fast and the Sense UI is quite nice. However, I felt like I was holding a toy and not a tool. It is extremely light and just doesn't have that "can stand up to some real wear and tear" feeling to it. My Droid, on the other hand, feels like a massive power tool. When I pick up my Droid, I feel like it can stand up to anything and everything I could ever possible do to it (aside from throwing it in a wood chipper or something crazy like that, but you get the point).

I love my Droid more than just about anything in my life (with the exception of myself and the people in my life). The physical keyboard is one of the deal breakers for me. I love the physical keyboard, though it could be a little better. The Incredible is lacking in the physical keyboard area, literally. I also love the "real android" feel that I get from having the Android system that is only slightly tweaked to suit Verizon's needs. The Sense UI makes me feel like I am using something other than the Android system. And that may be because HTC took the Android system and twisted and contorted it into something completely different.

Yes, my Droid may not be as fast as the Incredible, but if I were to root, I would be able to blow the Incredible away. Besides, stock speeds on the Droid are just fine with me. I was able to do everything on my droid just as well as I could on my coworkers Incredible. The only thing I noticed was that the apps (market for example) would open and load data a little faster on the Incredible than on the Droid.

It seems that some of the apps available are just better suited for the Droid compared to the Incredible. Take for instance my number one favorite app at this time, LauncherPro. My coworker had LauncherPro installed on her Incredible and it just seemed like it wasn't working properly. It would lag from time to time between screens and the 3D app drawer would cause a FC every time I tried to use it. None of this has ever happened with LauncherPro on my Droid. I have a feeling that this is due to the Sense UI conflicting with LauncherPro. Another app that just wasn't playing well with the Incredible was Gemini Calendar. Gemini Calendar is my second favorite app right now. It is a front end tot he Google calendar and is awesome. I installed it on my coworkers Incredible and, upon opening it for the first time, it FC'd. I have never had a FC with Gemini since installing it. It would work fine for a little bit, but then would FC again. So, it seems that there are some apps that work just fine with the Droid, but don't with the Incredible.

Overall, I like my droid better than the Incredible. I may have only played with the Incredible for about 30 minutes, but that was enough time for me to make an educated decision. I'm sure that if I had no choice but the Incredible, I would be just fine with it, but since the Droid is an option, I would definitely choose the Droid over the Incredible any day.

One last thing, I agree with UBRocked that if you are really that undecided, pick up the HTC Eris for $200 (or less if you can find it for less) and return your Droid. Save your NE2 for one of the rumored better phone that are coming our here soon. Besides, if you do it that way, you will always have a decent backup phone in case something were to ever happen to your main phone. I'm actually considering looking for an Eris for a real cheap price just so I can have a backup phone, just in case.

I hope this helps you make a decision as to what you want to do. I am giving all of this based on my own opinion and having used the Incredible for about 30 minutes and my Droid since February. This post may seem a little biased, but that is probably because I love my droid and just plain old didn't like the Incredible. Take this post and my opinion for what it's worth.

Good luck with finding the right phone for you. I hope you are happy with the phone you choose.

Kratos

12. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

FYI 2.1 on the Eris is awesome but there is a ringing bug where it doesn't sound off sometimes. There aren't many custom roms for the Eris so people think it's an HTC thing. Seen it with my wife's Eris.

13. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I know setup by bosses incredible and have showed her how to use basically everything about android so I have used the inc enough to hand out my opinion here.

The two biggest items that you need to think about when deciding between these two phones are the following.

Do you need a physical keyboard
    I would assume you dont since you are even considering the Inc

Do you like Sense UI
    Personally I cant stand it when compared to plain android. While I dont like it I do think it is nicer to look at and slightly more user friendly for the most part. The biggest downside of sense is slow updates.

If it was my choice no way I would get an Inc. I just dont like sense at all. To put it in perspective if the Nexus One would have come to VZW i would have strongly considered selling my droid and buying it. Im not tied to a physical keyboard at all.

14. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

If you want a large screen then the Droid X is worth consideration . http://phandroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/droid-x-side-by-side-1.jpg
    I would be very tempted to wait for new phones because I really want a larger screen. Might be too big for some.

The Incredible is a very nice phone, but because it has the Sense UI, operating system updates can lag. Not liking the sense UI is not a reason not to get it because you can always install launcherpro over it.

Personally, i like the Droid better. It is built like a tank (I have dropped my droid dozens of times and it still works fine), as a better 3d processor, has a large modding community, and a hard keyboard for games (google gamegripper), and when you need to fine edit text.

For me the only advantages of the Incredible is that it is thinner and lighter.