HTC People & SMS Widget QuestionsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I really love the HTC Sense UI, which is why I bought the Eris over the Droid. But I have a couple questions about a couple of the default widgets:

1) For the People widget (favorite contacts), it seems that for a contact I have to specify whether it calls a certain number or sends a text message. It would definitely be better to have the option of opening the contact so you could choose. Otherwise I'll have to setup multiple 'shortcuts' for each person - one to call, one to text, etc. This is not very efficient at all. Possible???

2) For the Text Messages widget, it's all working well, but I switched to using a different default SMS application (Chomp SMS right now). The messages show up OK, and if I click them it opens my alternate SMS app. But if I click the 'All Messages' or 'Compose' links at the bottom, it opens the built-in Messages app. Any way to change these links? Don't want my default app to open at all (for battery-saving reasons).

Advertisement
  2. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

for the people widget, instead of clicking the picture click the name below the picture, that will open up their info and you can call specified number from there.

for sms widget, i think those buttons are locked in unfortunately. i would love for handcent or chomp admins to create a nice widget to use.

3. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thx! The people trick works but is nearly impossible to hit the name with thumb. Maybe got it 1 out of 5 times. So a lot of blank texts (or worse - calls).

Any way it can b modified of is there another similar app/widget?

4. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

if there is i haven't found it.

5. enkode

enkode Well-Known Member

Regarding the Messages Widget, are there any new developments on this? It is VERY irritating!! I want it to use GV as my primary texting service. How could they overlook this?

6. ttran97

ttran97 Well-Known Member

When you're in the People widget and you click "Send Message", a window should have popped up asking you which program to use to send the text. I selected Google Voice and so every time I do that, it sends text through GV. Then just use the Google Voice app to read new texts.

7. Chopstick2U

Chopstick2U Well-Known Member

For your first problem, don't use the HTC widget. Try the following:

Add to home/folder/live folder/starred

Personally, the only good reason for me to have shortcuts to specific people is so I can dial their phones without looking while driving. What I described requires too much interaction to meet my needs, but maybe it'll meet yours!

8. 10_eris

10_eris Member

Is it possible to use multiple People Widgets? In other words, on one of my home screens I have a People Widget f/ my work contacts, and on another I have one for my personal contacts?

9. MJL

MJL Well-Known Member

Yes, as long as you have enough open screens since the people widget takes up the whole thing (if you chose the 1st style). Just slide to dif screen or create an open screen by deleting a widget you dont use and press + > HTC Widget > People and select your style, then add your selected contacts for work or personal.

10. 10_eris

10_eris Member

Except, if I add a favorite, it puts it in both widgets. I'd like to know if it is possible to have two different widgets with two different sets of favorites?

11. ttran97

ttran97 Well-Known Member

I don't think you can do that. The widget is getting the data from the Favorites tab in People. The icon of the person with the heart. You could set up groups, nlbut that's so many presses to get to the person you want to call.

I think it could work if you set aside space and add shortcuts to the individual contacts. The icons will be a bit smaller, but you can set a whole screen for one set if people and use another screen for another set.

Do this by long pressing, then shortcut, then person.