HTC People widgetGeneral

Last Updated:

1. xtiger

xtiger Active Member This Topic's Starter

Is there a way to make it so when select the person icon, it doesn't automatically call? Is there a way to make it go to a selection screen, where you can select mobile or home or even email?

Advertisement
  2. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

Click the name below instead of the picture

3. stmartin84

stmartin84 Well-Known Member

Great Question. I would like to know how to do that as well.

4. stmartin84

Good to know, thanks Caddyman. Have you gotten your update yet?

5. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

I wasnt able to find a way to do this, so I created shortcuts to view certian people ... I like it better than the widget anyway.

To do this, goto the home screen and click the + button > shortcut > person > select the person > view contact. If you have bettercut or anycut (free) you can change the text to anything you want.

Edit: Guess there is an answer!

6. Copa Native

Copa Native Well-Known Member

This works, but its kinda tricky.... I have called many people when trying to just access their contact info.

7. Caddyman

Nah not yet....anxious...although i hear it is rather anti-climatic

i would use what tomlin posted then

8. stmartin84

Caddyman, by setting up a scene for work and one for play, home, etc. does that change your ringer and notification settings as well? Apps that you have running in the background will they not run active until you install them to the new scene?

9. Caddyman

it might, not sure, i dont use scenes.

10. stmartin84

I don't either. I just downloaded an app called Foxyring. Found it quite cool and practical. Not one to install, install, install then complain about battery life. Even though mine is still rather disappointing.

11. Caddyman

I THINK, Scenes, only controls the actual setup of your homescreen(s) the widget, icons, layout, wallpapers, etc.....no internal settings are affected.

12. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

Is there a way to set the People widget to only show your phone contacts? For example, when I go into the Phone app, only my phone contacts are listed. When I go into the People app, it shows me EVERYONE (e-mail contacts, phone contacts). I don't want my e-mail contacts listed with my phone contacts, because many of them are e-mail address only.

Is there any solution for this?

13. Caddyman

dont you pick and choose who is added to the people widget yourself?

14. DDustiNN

Yes, sorry, I meant the app itself though. Whether adding people to the widget, or looking through the contact list when you directly open the app, they both show the same "mixed" list. I just want a way to get to my list of phone contacts alone, so when I call someone I don't have to scroll through all my e-mail addresses.

Also, when you open the Phone app, it keeps your recently called people at the top (in call order, not alphabetical order), and removes them from the list below. But this list is exactly what I want, I just wish it had all people alphabetically. If you call a lot of people, it can be difficult to find someone, not knowing where they are.

Of course, you could just start typing, but I like scrolling ;)

So I just want something that will show my phone contacts only, all in alphabetical order, but so far have been unsuccessful :(

15. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

So you just want a button that brings up your contact list? Thats the "People" button.

16. DDustiNN

Sorry, I don't mean to sound rude, but read my posts again and you'll see why this does not do what I want ;)

I guess I will repeat though...

The People button shows me ALL people, including phone contacts and e-mail contacts. I do not want this, because I have many e-mail address that have no phone number associated with them. I want a button that shows me my Phone contacts ONLY, all in alphabetical order. The Phone button somewhat does this, but it takes the recently called people out of the alphabetically ordered list, and places them at the top (it is basically the Call Log, but limits to one entry per person). I do not want this. I want all phone contacts ONLY (excluding e-mail contacts), in a single, ordered list. That's all :(

17. Caddyman

in people you can do groups. you can manage these online in your google account. pull all the either emailers or phoners into a group

then when you go to people icon you can slide to group and pick one.

thats all i got.

18. W4LLY

W4LLY Well-Known Member

I have all mine set to automatically text. This way if i slip, it just goes to my text message.

The other cool thing is, I don't know if other programs other than Handcent do this, but if i'm in text message conversation, there is an icon on the top left that will call the person.

19. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

Got ya! I dont have any email contact that I dont have a ph number for ... so I dont think it was registering. I dont think there is a way tto do what your asking. Perhaps an app will come out in the near future that allows you to customize the people screen better.

Come to think of it ... did you try using a folder? I vaguely remember someone saying you could put contacts into a folder. When you select the folder it would give you a list of the contacts you chose to put in there. Anyone know how to do this?

20. Caddyman

you can do a live folder for either "people" (all people) or "starred" (all starred people)

21. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

Starred people? Like favorites?

22. Caddyman

yessir

23. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

So he could make all his contacts with phone numbers "starred", then create a live folder with only the "starred" contacts. That should solve his question then.

24. DDustiNN

The problem is I have many phone contacts who are not gmail contacts. And I have many gmail contacts who are not phone contacts (i.e. I send an e-mail to my professor once, it saves his e-mail, but I never need it again).

As far as the starred contacts, a.k.a. favorite people, they all have to be added individually, unfortunately :(

The Live Folder for People still does the combined contact list. They sure do make this difficult! I just want to access the same list that the Phone app accesses! :(

25. DDustiNN

I would really rather not go through my entire phone list (lots of people) and add every single one as a favorite, when I know there is a direct way to access the list (Phone app does it somehow)...