• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Htc releasing firmware update for 30FPS cap... let's be more proactive!

In order to install a different kernel you need to root the phone - rooting is the part that voids the warranty.

The superuser account name on any unix variant is called root - as the root user, you're free to configure the system however you prefer. This is identical in concept to having Administrator privileges on a Windows PC.

For all intents and purposes, Sprint owns root on your phone as opposed to you. They don't like people changing that, so they void the warranty.

There's no real danger to being root - except for the bozo cases where someone decides the point of root is to destructively remove essential processes and then whine to Sprint to fix it. (And you can make your phone equally goofy just using a task killer abusively, so it's really not something to loose sleep over, in my opinion.)

You can also back root out and never be detected. Theoretically, you can root, and back out and still have warranty coverage. In my case, I thought in the back of my mind that made a good safety net. Instead, I so prefer the advantages of root, I've emailed Sprint's CEO that I'm rooted and so there's no question in anyone's eyes that I have nothing to hide and prefer my freedom over my warranty fears. You'll have to let your conscience guide you on what's right for you.

But back on topic - yes - with the right configuration, input tracking is vastly improved. That really and truly is a separate part of the code, but because of how things are architected, it gets tied topically to the fps cap.

Here's a vid made by jmxp69 - he's a kernel developer and so all of his posts in this thread you can accept as "from the horse's mouth" - iow, firsthand _knowledge_ as opposed to secondhand info (such as myself) -

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/111266-video-demo-evo-blowing-past-30fps.html

The vid in the first post shows some fps stuff, and other posts of his on that first page tells the _true_ story of what does and doesn't relate to the HDMI port, as well as provide the negative comparison of the stock EVO to Droid X (and uncripped Nexus One, that runs our same processor (variation only due to GSM vs. CDMA radio controller)).

In your case, ShoxV, you'll want to pay particular attention to the video in post 53 on the second page of that thread - it shows the finger tracking - with a comparison of custom to stock.

Don't be discouraged about stories of things not working in custom kernels. That varies by custom kernel and these last two months have nearly been an eternity in kernel development and evolution - the kernel devs at XDA are really quite excellent. (_Everything_ works on my phone, in other words.)

And a final note on 30 vs. 60 fps - 60 fps is _not necessarily_ the holy grail.

Virtually everything you've seen in any American theater - and virtually every movie you might have on Blu-ray - is at 24 fps. The only time you'll actually see 720p at 60 fps is when you're watching an HDTV channel dedicated to that performance - typically, that's the realm of sports broadcasts (or your own _higher quality_ HD camcorder).

Even DVD movies are 60 _fields_ per second - the result of telecine processing of a progressive 24 fps source into the NTSC interlaced field spec of 60 Hz.

That means that if your concern is movies, anything in the 30 fps is aok - not because that's all the eye can see as HTC claims, but because that's what our movie source material typically does.

If you're a purist, then 60 fps is the ATSC holy grail. If you're a more typical user, then 30 fps for 2D content is completely sufficient.

If you're a true gamer with a hardcore Windows PC setup, you already have a gonzo system set up for 90 fps and beyond, with 120 fps not being uncommon.

If you're unrooted at 2.2, you'll have to wait for the root exploit to be announced - novox77 is tracking that for you here -

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/151430-2-2-root-exploit-status-subscribe.html

Hope that's helpful and not too opinionated.

Upvote 0
As a tech junkie, I have to agree with you guys on this. I mean, how much did XDA do for Windows Mobile or some of the BB coders do for the BlackBerry community. They are always releasing better quality software than the manufacturers - partly because they don't have the restrictions from the carriers.

I think the point I was trying to make is that Sprint, not known for their cutting edge hardware has 500k of these things out there. More than likely, 450k of these went to Mom, Dad and Junior on the family plan for $150 a month and they don't care that the swipe animation is a bit choppy or that the device isn't as fast as it could be with some tweaking. Most of the people that came on board are recovering from the poor-performing Pre, and look at the larger screen and the number of apps and just smile.

Again, I'm not defending HTC since the device is obviously capable of performing, but saying that they aren't throttling the device for a reason is simply guessing. They have said the cap is in place due to the hardware limitations of the HDMI port. Is this true? Doubtful since others have proven this wrong, but maybe they know something the programmers at HTC don't. Of course, maybe they found in testing that if they run the GPU at 60fps and 4G data, the battery lasted 30 minutes. So their answer was to dial back the power to the GPU and cut it to "What the human eye can see", cut the signal strength to WiFi and limit the camcorder to 24fps and the battery can go 4 hours.

While to the demanding 'perfect phone lovers' of the world want an answer to this, I still stand by my original thought that most users could care less about it since the phone shows their movies, plays their games and is the first 4G device on the market - even if it is slower than Verizon's 3G network in most places around here... lol

Thanks for the insight though, you have a ton of great data about the cap - and it's all a great bunch of info!

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I just sent My 2nd email into HTC.

I recently recieved an email back from HTC about my questioning of the 30fps limitation on my htc evo 4g. It read " The HTC Evo 4G uses significant resources for the HDMI output and therefore displays graphics at 30 frames per second on the integrated display. This a hardware limitation" I know this can be fixed. Look at what Motorola did with the DROID X, they have an HDMI output and that phone easily crushes the 30fps and most of the time hits 60fps. And look at one of your own products the DROID Incredible, that phone also goes above 30fps. I know that increasing the fps also decreases battery life but the DROID incredible has a smaller battery than the EVO and runs more fps yet has about the same battery life for the battery size it has. If battery life drainage is really a huge concern, cant there be a performance mode for the phone to run higher FPS? Also the human eye emails that I've read about that HTC has sent to others wondering about the 30fps cap, i can see my father's samsung galaxy S run more fps just by looking at it with my human eye side by side compared to my evo. I would like to know any other reasons as to why this fps cap on the evo cannot be fixed or OTA updated.

Thanks

Upvote 0
It can be fixed, VERY easily... I rooted yesterday actually for the EXACT reason of the current sh%$ty framerate cap. I have no decreased battery life, my phone doesn't run slower, the HDMI out works fine, and, guess what, so far HTC has been 100% wrong as to why it's there stock. They just don't know what they're doing...

Upvote 0
Rooted on Saturday for two things specifically:

The frame rate fix and the audio fix (with some audio gain) on 2.2.

I'm using the latest Fresh-rom and netarchy's kernel that is compatible with it. I had zero problems, but it takes a little while if you aren't into rooting all your phones. I used the guide to root 2.2 over at Xda and flashed the latest fresh rom and netarchy's compatible kernel. Everything works great. Wifi, 4g, Bluetooth. No problems so far. Don't be intimated to root, just follow the guides. The smoothness of the frame rate is beautiful now. The audio sounds amazing. My phone runs like a dream with no sprint bloatware. I can't go back.

Reactions: Jayo619
Upvote 0
I can make a case for the necessity of stock 60 FPS. I almost converted a friend of mine to make the switch from his iPhone 3Gs to the Evo. But after playing with my Evo (stock at the time), he kept complaining about how choppy things were.

I had no clue what he was talking about, since most of my experience up to that point had been exclusively the Evo. But once he handed over his iPhone, I immediately saw what he was talking about. The UI was perfectly smooth, and it tracked your finger very precisely. In a word, the presentation was simply POLISHED. Granted this is a largely cosmetic issue, but it goes a long way toward the overall presentation. And I have no doubt that the average Joe, who could care less about tech specs and rooting were to play with a stock Evo and any iPhone side-by-side, they'd say the iPhone was so much "faster."

I played with the Samsung Epic 4G yesterday. It is super smooth with excellent finger tracking. Why do HTC phones have to settle? I really hope that HTC's next flagship phone is not nerfed like this.

Whatever reason HTC had for making the decision to cap the FPS, the Evo devs have PROVEN that it wasn't a necessary decision, as evidenced by netarchy's FPS fix that's in pretty much all custom ROMs now. Therefore, HTC should not have to make the same decision again for a future phone.

Upvote 0
Rooted on Saturday for two things specifically:

The frame rate fix and the audio fix (with some audio gain) on 2.2.

I'm using the latest Fresh-rom and netarchy's kernel that is compatible with it. I had zero problems, but it takes a little while if you aren't into rooting all your phones. I used the guide to root 2.2 over at Xda and flashed the latest fresh rom and netarchy's compatible kernel. Everything works great. Wifi, 4g, Bluetooth. No problems so far. Don't be intimated to root, just follow the guides. The smoothness of the frame rate is beautiful now. The audio sounds amazing. My phone runs like a dream with no sprint bloatware. I can't go back.

Can you post up a link for instructions on how to root step by step?

Upvote 0
Can you post up a link for instructions on how to root step by step?

Wait until unrevoked 3.2 is released again, I used it for my replacement evo that came with stock 2.2. Very simple, just install the drivers and then run the program and you have full root within minutes. They took it down because some people had issues, but it should be back soon.

Upvote 0
Wait until unrevoked 3.2 is released again, I used it for my replacement evo that came with stock 2.2. Very simple, just install the drivers and then run the program and you have full root within minutes. They took it down because some people had issues, but it should be back soon.

Yeah Im waiting and waiting and waiting some more. And I cant wait. :eek:

Upvote 0
htc has said that its a hardware limitation just root and install a kernel problem solved i know people will say i shouldnt have to root but thats how it is if you dont like it dont complain or get a different phone.
HTC should make an announcement that the FPS has been unlocked on the EVO and then link to XDA's website to root. lol

For people who have not rooted, there is a huge difference in the way the device runs after unlocking the 30fps. It feels like the screens are on air and they just float on by.

I got to play with a stock EVO the other day, and boy did it feel like laggy crap!

Upvote 0
For people who have not rooted, there is a huge difference in the way the device runs after unlocking the 30fps. It feels like the screens are on air and they just float on by.

I got to play with a stock EVO the other day, and boy did it feel like laggy crap!

This has been my experience as well. Yet some people I know swear that they don't see a difference. I am convinced some people can't distinguish between 30fps and 60fps the same way some people can't distinguish between green and red. Sometimes it's just genetics. Poor people :)

And even if you can't see the difference in FPS, the improved tracking is night and day.

YouTube - HTC Evo Framerate + Touch Sensor Comparison - Capped at 30fps vs Uncapped

Note the tracking at 1:20 - 1:32 (before uncap) and 2:16 - 2:28 (after uncap).

Upvote 0
I just finished flashing netarchy's fix. All I have to say is WOW!! Such a huge difference. The transition animations look like they're floating on the screen. I didn't think I would notice this much of a difference. It's literally like a completely different phone. I really hope HTC comes out with an official fix and soon.

btw I'm running AndroidCentral's AC-ROM-Froyo 2.2 in case anyone's wondering

Upvote 0
rooted stock rom with custom kernel will get you the FPS/tracking fix. See my sig.

Oh my, yes, that was REALLY annoying stock. It seems as though the finger tracking issue is 100% related to the FPS lockout at 30, who would've guessed? To make this even better, HTC is continuing to say that it's not related to that, at all. How come now that I'm running 60fps my finger movements are tracked spot on on-screen?

They need to get off their high horse, accept help from the community (XDA in general), and get this ****in' phone fixed. NOW. We shouldn't HAVE to root to get it to perform as intended.

If I went out and bought a Nissan 370z brand new off-the-lot right now, only to find out that 3 of the 6 cylinders were firing to 'save gas', and have to go get the engine rebuilt, I would be FURIOUS. I am furious still at HTC for pulling this shit with the Evo and then not saying anything about it, then blatantly lieing to us. For one thing, I've actually got HELLA better battery life over stock, even with the framerate unlocked, which according to HTC, should drain my battery twice as fast by making the GPU work twice as hard. I think not, because before rooting, the phone was still running 60fps, but just throwing out half the frames.

Upvote 0
HTC should make an announcement that the FPS has been unlocked on the EVO and then link to XDA's website to root. lol

they have said they looked into it but they are not gonna use it for some reason not sure why cant remember.

Upvote 0
Oh my, yes, that was REALLY annoying stock. It seems as though the finger tracking issue is 100% related to the FPS lockout at 30, who would've guessed? To make this even better, HTC is continuing to say that it's not related to that, at all. How come now that I'm running 60fps my finger movements are tracked spot on on-screen?

They need to get off their high horse, accept help from the community (XDA in general), and get this ****in' phone fixed. NOW. We shouldn't HAVE to root to get it to perform as intended.

If I went out and bought a Nissan 370z brand new off-the-lot right now, only to find out that 3 of the 6 cylinders were firing to 'save gas', and have to go get the engine rebuilt, I would be FURIOUS. I am furious still at HTC for pulling this shit with the Evo and then not saying anything about it, then blatantly lieing to us. For one thing, I've actually got HELLA better battery life over stock, even with the framerate unlocked, which according to HTC, should drain my battery twice as fast by making the GPU work twice as hard. I think not, because before rooting, the phone was still running 60fps, but just throwing out half the frames.
this makes me pretty pumped to root.

Upvote 0
Once rooted and the replacement kernal installed, does the HDMI port still work?
Yes, unless you are on CM6 ROM which has no 4G / FM Radio / HDMI Out. It is the only true AOSP (Android Open Source Project) Rom you can put on your EVO. It has absolutely no Sense and it pure Android.

Even without offering those 3 features yet, it is still one of the most preferred roms out there.

I believe all of the Sense Roms offer HDMI out and all the other standard Evo features.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones