• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Sensation 4g, or Galaxy S II

ffenliv

Lurker
Nov 7, 2011
So, I'll be going tonight for a new phone, and I can't decide between the Sensation 4G and the Galaxy S II.

I do like the look of the display on the Galaxy, but currently have a Desire Z, and have never found the screen to be a disappointment.

The HTC seems to be slightly 'tougher', and I'm a clutz, but the SII is just so thin and light - I've always wanted to try such a phone.

The S II comes with more built-in storage, but storage has never been much of an issue for me, but I fear it will some day.

The higher resolution of the Sensation is appealing.

Can anyone offer an insight, either from personal experience, or general knowledge about these phones?

You should get the SII! I don't see what the Sensation has over the SII really.

Thanks for the speedy reply.

I, too, feel that the S2 does out-perform the Sensation, but I'm not much of a mobile nerd, and so don't trust my own opinions.

Perhaps I should have asked for specifics.

HTC:

Likes: Higher resolution, Sense UI, already have an HTC, and familiarity might be welcome, sturdier construction (or so it seems)

Dislikes: less vibrant screen, heavier, thicker, poor built-in storage

S2

Likes:Super AMOLED, bigger built-in storage, super-thin and light.

Dislikes: might be too flimsy (or at least not as sturdy), TouchWiz - not familiar with it, have not read too many rave reviews for it.

Can anyone perhaps give their own opinion on my likes/dislikes?

Upvote 0
you can't go wrong with either phone. We tend to get caught up in the details and popular opinions. They are both really good.

A note about lightness of Samsung phones: I believe this is a cultural issue that Samsung needs to address. In the Asia markets, lightness of a device is VERY highly valued; whereas in Western culture, a gadget that feels light gives the impression of low quality.

Samsung has a huge market in its home territory where lighter is better. And they've managed to make the lightest devices out there.

Too bad over here in the US (and elsewhere), a lot of people complain about the lightness and plasticky feel. If you can help it, try not to judge the phone on weight. I definitely prefer more heft to my phones, but in no way do I consider the Samsungs inferior because they are light.

I tend to be a display junkie, and I much prefer the Sensation's screen over the S2's. This is totally personal preference, so there's no right or wrong. SAMOLED to me goes overkill on color saturation, which makes things took artificial to me. Some people love that aspect because they feel it makes the screen pop.

I'm in love with pixel density. Higher the better, and I have discerning eyes. To me, even iPhone's 326ppi could be better. I still see individual pixels. Sensation has the higher ppi compared to the S2. The screen is also brighter than the S2 (in terms of luminance). But the S2 produces blacker blacks, earning it the higher contrast ratio - divide-by-zero effect.

Sense is way more than pretty look and feel. HTC gets it right and gives their Sense apps a consistent interface. For people who have never used any Android phone, Sense scores highest in terms of intuitiveness (I'll have to dig up the study). Personally, I think Sense is decent, but in some ways, it restricts some functionality that other apps provide. So I do end up replacing parts of Sense. Not a fan of Touchwiz. Some parts of it are well thought out, but it's not as consistent overall as Sense.

Samsung tends to shine on specs, almost always beating everyone else out. But in actual use, there are some really basic stuff that they can't get right, no matter the model. I'll leave it up to you to research the common problems of the S2. At the same time, HTC is also known for having problems. You may have heard of the security holes recently found in some 4G models, and in their spyware (CarrierIQ).

So yeah, advantages and disadvantages to both phones. But both are Android superphones; very capable. I have no issues recommending either. It's mostly up to you to figure out what features are important to you.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
I actually have both - the Sensation and the S2. It's really a matter of preference. I like the Sensation for some features absent from the S2 and vise-versa. Before I did an update on my Sensation, S2 was definitely more stable. After the Sensation update, stability-wise, they seem to be the same.

Upvote 0
I would generally go with the Galaxy S2 here, but should you choose the Sensation, why not the Sensation XE?

If this person making the question is a T-Mobile subscriber, why the Sensation when you can get the even better Amaze 4G?

Amaze 4G vs. Galaxy S2 is more of good matching battle.

Upvote 0
The Amaze wasn't an option on my carrier here in Canada. I ended up going with the S2 after playing with them both a bit in store. The screen really caught my eye.

It wasn't the lightness so much that concerned me I suppose, but rather that they might have gone cheap on materials to make it lighter.

In any event, after 12 hours, I'm happy so far.

Thanks to everyone who answered!

Upvote 0
The S2 is a lot sturdier than it looks. I've dropped mine a couple times on my wood kitchen floor from about waist level on accident, no damage at all. One thing to consider, the 'cheap' plastic on the S2 withstands more abuse than the 'pretty' glass backing on the new iphone (I know we're not talking about iphones here, but it's the most common comparison for 'quality' of materials) so it can withstand more punishment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones