HTC Sense.comGeneral

Last Updated:

1. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

2. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker Moderator

Perhaps HTC have listened and this will put to bed the whole issue of it not working!
  3. Casey_Chaos

Casey_Chaos Well-Known Member

I managed to get most of the site working, such as location and locking etc. Never got the backup to work though so if they fix the site now that'd be good.
  4. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

Yeah...the site was useless - they never finished it and got it working properly so didn't really use it. If it comes back as a useful resource then I might give it another try.
  5. BrutalUK

BrutalUK Well-Known Member

Has never worked for me at all. Bit of a disappointment when they advertised as a selling point of the phone.
  6. lucids

lucids Well-Known Member

When i first got the phone about a year ago I set it up and it worked for locating the phone and making it ring etc.

But there were only a basic page for account info and the page to make it ring and locate the phone. I NEVER set HTC sense to back anything up at all.

So i just got this email and downloaded about 5Mb of data in zip format.
    Once extracted to a folder I ran the html file as instructed and got the shock of my life!!!

HTC have collected EVERYTHING :eek::eek::eek:
    It had ALL my contacts, all my text messages (sent and received) and a complete call log.

I repeat i never set this as far as i am aware on their site and i don't recall ever being such an option.
    On the phone in Settings/Accounts & sync HTC Sense is there and is set to sync but i had no idea that would collect all this data and store it.

Did anyone else realise it did that? because the data that is now available via this download was never available on the HTC Sense site when logging in there.
  7. Netherdragon

Netherdragon Well-Known Member

ok... guess i should check this out. slightly worried now...
  8. El Presidente

I've a feeling it was just the web front end that was temperamental, all of the backup worked if you setup a HTC Sense account on the handset and had it syncing.
  9. TheBrit

TheBrit Well-Known Member

Yes, checked this and it's been quietly backing my stuff up too. I never knew that.
  10. lucids

lucids Well-Known Member

But no where on the phone or the web did it say it was doing this as far as i am aware. All i knew was you needed an HTC sense account to stop the phone constantly nagging for it and get updates and more screens and customisations for the display or ringtones etc.

There must be some serious data protection issues here both with regard to permissions and access with both local (UK law) and European legislation. It is a serious breach i would hazard a guess. I would be very careful about such things. How do we know how the info was stored (securely or not) and who had access, as obviously we did not...
    How do we know that there isn't other data ie GPS data, web history or passwords also stored with this as well?

Is this thread a sticky? i think if not it should be and marked as important for all to read.
  11. El Presidente

I understand what you're saying, but that was the whole point of, a place where you could (amongst other things) backup contacts, SMS, etc. It was one of the advertised features.

The T&C's are here if you want to take a look:
  12. BrutalUK

BrutalUK Well-Known Member

Well I've just logged in and there's no data for my account...suprise
  13. nigsy

nigsy Well-Known Member

Not being funny, but you really need to read the EULA before ticking the agree box. This was all covered when you agreed to the Terms when you set the account up for the first time.
  14. lucids

lucids Well-Known Member

now i feel like the kid in south park who agreed to the apple T and C when updating I tunes and got made into a human cent I Pad...haha

Ok so it may have been in the T and C but how many of us users knew it did this?

It wasn't obvious because when we logged into htc sense there was no option to actually view or access this data...nor did their seem any mechanism to use the data for restoring either.

On the time i reset the phone and re entered htc sense account nothing was restored so why keep the data if no restore and we couldn't access our own backups?

These are the issues, it all very well saying you agreed but it is still not right. And by agreeing it is technically a contract so if in the uk it has to follow the "The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999"
    So signing may mean nothing.

Regardless of that it is the fact that we had no access and it seeming had no function if there was no restore that gets me...

(No idea why this has suddenly gone into italics btw as it is off on the text?)