• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Sense Stopped Unexpectadly?

Wild182

Sep 30, 2009
I've recently got rid of ChompSMS and gone for HandcentSMS

On first impressions I was impressped with Handcent and although theres no major differences I prefer it to Chomp.

However, it seems everytime I get a text and the box appears on my homescreen with whos text me and the message, HTC Sense keeps closing and I get the error "Sorry! The Application HTC Sense (process com.htc.launcher) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again later."

Now, I've only had this problem the last few days since installing Handcent, but a restart seems to fix it for a short while.

Also the whole phone has seemed really really laggy at times, again, turning off and on fixes this for a while, while killing applications with Taskiller makes no effect, but a day or so later it just gets so laggy again and it never used to!?

Anyone else had similar problems? I'm running the latest MoDaCo Rom

I am running Vanilla HTC ROM on my hero & I have experienced these force closes with HandCent. I think it may be to do with the quickreply function of this application & I will try to remove the quickreply option off the application to see if this fixes the problem......

Loath to get rid of HandCent as it is a great SMS application otherwise.

Upvote 0
If you can, email the developer outlining your problems. I can confirm that I use handcent, with popup, and always use the quick reply without any problems.

You have to understand that it may be a problem with compatibility between handcent and some other app you have installed. Don't just jump to the conclusion that handcent is crap becuase of the problems you are having. It might even be another apps problem causing handcent to crash.

Anwyays if you have time email the dev, its very helpful to him and the rest of the community.

Just to reconfirm, I have NO problems with handcent at all, it is a fantastic application.

Upvote 0
I haven't just jumped to the conclusion that handcent is crap.. In my first post as I said I was impressed with it, liked it, and preferred it to Chomp.
If I assumed it was just crap I wouldn't of posted on here asking if anyone had any similar problems and asking for any ideas as to what it could of been.

All I've done is ask for help!

Upvote 0
I haven't just jumped to the conclusion that handcent is crap.. In my first post as I said I was impressed with it, liked it, and preferred it to Chomp.
If I assumed it was just crap I wouldn't of posted on here asking if anyone had any similar problems and asking for any ideas as to what it could of been.

All I've done is ask for help!

Lol no sorry I didn't mean you, my post was directed more to this:

This just started happening for me. I just posted about it. :( I forgot to search first. It happened after a handcent text came in for me...guess that app isn't as good as everyone raves!

Especially the last sentence!

Upvote 0
I've recently got rid of ChompSMS and gone for HandcentSMS

On first impressions I was impressped with Handcent and although theres no major differences I prefer it to Chomp.

However, it seems everytime I get a text and the box appears on my homescreen with whos text me and the message, HTC Sense keeps closing and I get the error "Sorry! The Application HTC Sense (process com.htc.launcher) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again later."

Now, I've only had this problem the last few days since installing Handcent, but a restart seems to fix it for a short while.

Also the whole phone has seemed really really laggy at times, again, turning off and on fixes this for a while, while killing applications with Taskiller makes no effect, but a day or so later it just gets so laggy again and it never used to!?

Anyone else had similar problems? I'm running the latest MoDaCo Rom
I have an HTC Evo 4G and had this problem over the past month...the serious lagging, "wait" or "force closes," and it was beginning to get very frustrating because it happened more and more frequently and I really couldn't operate the phone unless I turned it off for a second and then back on again. I had two errors that were similar about HTC Sense. I searched Sprint's support for HTC and found nothing; did a search on Iexplorer and I THINK I FOUND A FIX FOR IT because it worked for me thusfar....

In case you are afraid of links & viruses, here's their instructions which I copied from that webpage:
The only option available was Force Close, and soon as that was pressed the message would appear again.
The Cause
In this particular instance the problem was caused by the user deleting some old homescreens. However, it can be caused by any other action related to HTC Sense. If the HTC Launcher app detects problems it becomes stuck in this loop and makes your phone unusable by constantly springing up that error message.
The Solution
NOTE: by doing this you will lose all your custom homescreens and will have to customise them again.

These are the instructions I provided which seemed to solve the problem:
  1. Press the Search button on your phone
  2. Type in Settings and select it from the results
  3. Select Applications > Manage Applications > HTC Sense > Clear Data
  4. Press the Home button
  5. You should now see the default wallpaper and widgets
  6. Try adding a widget. Either:
    • Press the +icon in the bottom-right > Widget
    • Press Menu > Add to Home > Widget
    • Long-press an empty space on your homescreen > Widget
  7. If you find that the HTC widgets are missing from the Add Widgets list go to Settings and repeat steps 3 and 4
Final Word
This fix applies to problems caused by performing an action related to HTC Sense. In some cases it can be caused by incompatible applications, in which case the general solution would be to go to Settings using the method described above, then Applications > Manage Applications > Select the app you think is causing the problem and uninstall it.
In the worst case scenario, you would need to backup all your data and applications (MyBackupPro is great for this) and then perform a factory reset of your phone.

Anyhow... about a month ago, I went into the disk drive of the phone and began removing unwanted and unused items (pictures, folders, etc.)... perhaps that's why this happened to me and perhaps where this error came from?

Good Luck! I hope you fix it because I know how frustrating it is!!!
~Linda.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones