HTC Sense UI vs other Homes

Last Updated:

1. phunni

phunni Member This Topic's Starter

I really like my HTC Hero and the Sense UI is brilliant. My main problem ,though, is that I don't really need 7 home screens... It looks stupid having some empty or full or useless widgets.

How does the HTC Home com[are to others such as aHome or OpenHome? Will the HTC widgets runs on those Homes?

Alternatively is there a way of reducing the number of home screens in the HTC Sense?

Advertisement
  2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Member

I could wrong but, as far as I know you can't use HTC widgets on other Home Replacements.

I use 3 homes only and the rest are empty but after this upcoming update I will be adding a widget per home.

Hope this helps.

3. KojakWeb

KojakWeb Member

Tiramisu is correct, the HTC Widgets will only work on HTC's TouchFLO. You could always put a picture frame or two on the blank home screens.

I've played around with a few of the other home apps (Sweeterhome/Panda/aHome) of which I liked aHome the most (I only tested using the free versions of each app). It allows you to add however many home screens you want (from 1 to 10) just by draggin a widget/app to the right of the last home screen. It's highly customisable, and you can even get it to autorotate the home screen, as well as automatically getting rid of empty screens. Android widgets have to be written to support aHome specifically (a list of them can be found within aHome's menu) so there not so many as of now, but out of the box it comes bundled with several widgets (not as extensive as the HTC TouchFLO ones). One the best bits is the abiliy to add a dock on the bottom strip of your home screen. You can populate the dock with up to 4 of your favourite apps/folders. The cool thing about the dock is that it's persistent no matter what home screen you are on, so you'll always have access to your 4 favourite apps/folders. However, no matter how useful I found aHome, I found it's performance to be noticeably slower than TouchFLO (e.g. scrolling through menus, etc.). I don't know if this is because I was using the free version

On balance, I do prefer TouchFLO's more polished feel, it's well designed widgets, as well as it supporting most (if not all) of the Android widgets. But I do wish it had aHome's level of customisation and dock bar. Oh and I've just playing around with OpenHome, similar in many ways to aHome (including autorotate, dock, between 1-7 screens) and it's performance seems to be very snappy.

4. Jacqueline

Jacqueline Well-Known Member

5. Quazar

Quazar Well-Known Member

Wow, I love the UI of the hero, but this just blows it out of the water! Amazing.

6. Archon810

Archon810 Well-Known Member

I actually don't think it's any good. It's ugly (doesn't look polished to me and the keyboard is ugly as hell) and not practical. That's just my opinion. The X3's 1Ghz processor is enviable though.

7. Jacqueline

I'm not sure which phone you mean. The X3 does not have a keyboard, and I personally find it to be an attractive phone. Look at the pictures here:
    http://phandroid.com/2009/09/21/xperia-x3-unboxed-and-beautiful/

8. Archon810

Archon810 Well-Known Member

9. Jacqueline

Ok, that makes sense. I liked the looks of the UI on it, but that is very subjective.

10. computerboyo

computerboyo Well-Known Member

I agree it look crap.

11. poopieboy

poopieboy Member

That Sony UI looks pretty fancy but impractical. Doesn't look like it's easy to use at all. Sense UI is nice but hopefully it gets better with updates.

12. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

I have the opposite problem. Once you have a large clock and a few icons on the middle screen, a Facebook and Twitter Widget taking up the best part of two more screens I easily fill up 7 screens.

Why does it have to be limited to that?

13. makfi78

makfi78 Active Member

I've got the same problem ;)
    Weather-email-sms=home with big clock-people with some switches-bookmarks-and apps....so u have 7 screens...i need a few more ;D