• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC setup Profiles.

dale303

Sep 3, 2009
My previous phone was a Nokia N95. It had a feature called profiles where I could set up different configurations for different situations.

Is there something similar for Android/HTC Hero?

My ideal situation would be if have the ability to assign ring volume/notification volume, vibrate, wifi, gps, bluetooth etc to each profile.

Example profiles might work like this...

Work: ring volume medium, vibrate on, wifi on, gps off, bt off
Cycle: ring volume full, vibrate on, wifi on, gps on, bt on
Bed: ring volume low, vibrate on, wifi off, gps off, bt off
Meeting: ring off, vibrate on, wifi off, gps off, bt off.

Even better if I could schedule profile changes at different times of day/week.

My previous phone was a Nokia N95. It had a feature called profiles where I could set up different configurations for different situations.

Is there something similar for Android/HTC Hero?

My ideal situation would be if have the ability to assign ring volume/notification volume, vibrate, wifi, gps, bluetooth etc to each profile.

Example profiles might work like this...

Work: ring volume medium, vibrate on, wifi on, gps off, bt off
Cycle: ring volume full, vibrate on, wifi on, gps on, bt on
Bed: ring volume low, vibrate on, wifi off, gps off, bt off
Meeting: ring off, vibrate on, wifi off, gps off, bt off.

Even better if I could schedule profile changes at different times of day/week.

Try Timeriffic app ... it is made to do this for any number of profiles ...

Upvote 0
Oooo, Almost.

Perfect for scheduling but I also need to be able to manually switch for meetings and other random events that don't have fixed start and finish times. Having some shortcut buttons placed on the UI to quickly switch between profiles was more what I had in mind there.

Try Anycut or check Cyrket - Android Market Browser to find other Shortcut apps

Upvote 0
So, the Themes in the Hero don't work like this? I just assumed it would when I saw the demos for the phone.

I think you are referring to the "Scenes". You can have multiple Scenes on the Hero, but they control the look / contents of the home pages. So you can have your phone look one way for work, another way for home, another way for weekends...

You are looking for manual and automatic situational application reconfiguration. The aps mentioned should do most of what is needed there. I think Locale can even change settings based on your gps location... ie; enter work building and turn on wifi , turn off 3g automatically.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones