1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

HTC Sync and McAfeeGeneral

1. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Guys:

Saw some discussion on this on the Hero forum here, and one mention on the HTC forum, but no conclusive answers.

I cannot get HTC Sync to work on my computer. I am running XP SP3. I have downloaded the latest version of HTC Sync. I disable my anti-virus and firewall and install, and it reports it installs correctly, but that it will not run and it will not recognize the phone.

I read that it's a "known issue" with McAfee, but don't see a workaround or any detailed threads.

Anyone running McAfee and get it to work?

Thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Needsdecaf

Freaking HTC Tech Support = useless. Kept me on the phone for an hour, had me uninstall and re-install the whole thing and in the end their answer (well, after, "why do you want to use HTC Sync") was, "well, it looks like it's not going to work on your computer".

What kind of sad-sack, sorry-a** answer is THAT?!?!?
  3. Solitary

Solitary Well-Known Member

i think the easiest fix\workaround would be to get rid of a popular virus aka McAfee...
    I think only Norton got it beat in uselessness and slowing-down-ness of your machine
  4. bottlecap

bottlecap Well-Known Member

AVG is a great free anti-virus. :D
  5. Needsdecaf

Well considering I have paid for a subscription, any other suggestions?
  6. Solitary

Okay, the question is then did you install the drivers manually?
    The problem with XP is that its 8 years old, and should not even be supported anymore. Its time to move to a newer Windows version.

I would recommend to find the drivers and install them manually. Millions of people are still on XP, so that shouldnt be hard to find.

If the drivers wont help, let us know.
  7. pavirotten

pavirotten Well-Known Member

I have McAfee and have not had a single issue with HTC Sync. I guess, I can just chalk it up to blind (and good) luck.
  8. Needsdecaf

I did not install the drivers manually. I ran the executable and it installed the program and the drivers together. I do not know where to find the drivers separately. I will do a search.

Edit: drivers didn't work. I should mention that HTC sync, although it says "installation completed successfully", won't even start and instead gives me a warning triangle in a dialog box.
  9. Solitary

does it see your phone?Windows i mean
  10. Solitary

sorry, i didnt notice you said HTC Sync wont even start.
    Does it give you any kind of warning, error, or something like that?
  11. Needsdecaf

A dialog box with nothing in it other than a warning triangle.
  12. Solitary

Revo Uninstaller - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Id suggest removing the HTC Sync with Revo ( full uninstall with all of the folders and registry). Then try installing it again after you turn McAfee off (not pause protection).
    If it wont work, i am not sure what to suggest. I dont know how important this is to you and to what extent you want to fix this, id use Revo and get rid of McAfee ( again, full removal), install sync and then put mcafee back.