HTC Sync can't find ErisGeneral

Last Updated:

1. dingebre

dingebre Member This Topic's Starter

I can't sync between my PC, Vista 32 bit, and my Eris. I can mount the SD card and transfer pictures, etc. I have enabled USB Debugging. I have installed/re-installed HTC sync several times. I have disabled my virus software.

I get the HTC Sync notification when I plug in the Eris, but when I tap it to start connecting, nothing. The PC bleeps at me as if it has recognized a new device, but the Eris never finds the HTC sync software (yes it is open). It finally reports that it can't find HTC Sync on the PC.

The first time, Windows installed several device drivers, including the HTC driver. "My HTC" driver is visible in the Device Manager and reports it is working properly.

This last time, I got a Windows Error stating the HTCVBTServer module had stopped working.

I can't find any information on this.

Thanks,

David

Advertisement
  2. pjsockett

pjsockett Well-Known Member

Which version of sync are you using? If I used the 2.0.8 Hero/Tatoo version I could not get a connection. I had to use the version listed as Droid Eris 2.0.8.

3. pjsockett

pjsockett Well-Known Member

4. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

Stupid question, but did you push the button to "mount" the phone?

5. dingebre

To pjsockett: I am using the Eris version 2.0.8 from this link:

http://www.htc.com/us/SupportDownload.aspx?p_id=307&cat=3&dl_id=767

To Needsdecaf: Yes, I tried it mounted and unmounted.

When I pulg the Eris in, the Eris shows me two notifications, the USB and HTC Sync.
    My gut tells me something on the PC is getting in the way but I don't know what.

Thanks

David

6. dingebre

OK, so a small update.

I manually uninstalled all HTC drivers, the developers kit, all other USB mass storage devices, portable device drivers, etc.

I re-downloaded the Eris HTC Sync installed it.

I got it to recognize it once, got a sync, then not again. I've re-done this about 10 times and I can't get it to connect.

Does anyone have any ideas? please?

David

7. tispectrum

tispectrum Well-Known Member

My wife has the same problem, and did what you did. An HTC rep said to call their help desk and they would try to work her thru it. She plans on doing that after Thanksgiving. I have the Eris and have not experienced that problem. Than again, I use XP. She hates Vista.

8. xene97

xene97 Well-Known Member

I also had problems but finally got it to work. Here's what I do:
    1) open HTC sync on your pc if it's not already running
    2) open the notification area on the Eris and click on HTC sync
    3) use the Sync Now button at the bottom of the notification area

Hopefully this will work for you.

9. tispectrum

My wife tried that too. Doesn't work. Her Eris stops communicating with the PC.

10. dingebre

Thanks Xene97. However, because it either never connects or immediately disconnects, the "Sync Now" button either is never shown or remains ghosted.

I have been able to randomly establish communication since my last post, but it is sporadic at best.

Since I'm mostly wanting to be able to download and install music, video, and applications (I have never really used a portable calendar) I guess I don't really need HTC Sync. It would be nice if it did work however.

Thanks for the advice. I have also sent email to customer support and they gave me a number to call. I'll get to it after the holiday.

David

11. beanguy

beanguy New Member

The first time I loaded the htc sync software, I was able to perform a sync and get all my contacts and calendar info on my eris. After the initial sync, I have had absolutely no luck.

I re-downloaded, uninstalled and reinstalled - twice.

No luck getting the htc synce software to recognize anything since the very first install.

12. cdeen

cdeen Active Member

I have had the same problem, I can't sync my Eris. I have mounted ect. and my pc tells me there is an issue with my hardware. Would love some advice on this.

13. dingebre

Last follow-up from me I guess. I got hold of HTC tech support and the tech was polite, he knew owners are having problems, and then he punted. basically he said to wait for the next HTC Sync update. He recommended using Google Mail, Calendar, etc. as that doesn't require HTC sync to synchronize.

I should also add the link to the Eris HTC sync version 2.08 is now dead.

It used to be:
    http://www.htc.com/us/SupportDownload.aspx?p_id=307&cat=3&dl_id=767

Oh well.

David

14. rigamrts

rigamrts Well-Known Member

HTC Mobile Phone Support - DROID ERIS by HTC (Verizon) - Downloads

here's a good link just downloaded it yesterday at about 10pm est

15. dingebre

Thanks. That link does work.

Unfortunately, it's still the 2.08 which doesn't work on my laptop :(

David

16. h0ser81

h0ser81 Member

Any of you happen to be using Windows 7? There is a current workaround for Windows 7 folks right here.

17. ggangi

ggangi Well-Known Member

Has there been any resolution to this. I downloaded Doubletwist last night as well as the software to sync with Outlook, from HTC.

Doubletwist didn't recognize my device, and I didn't try syncing the phone with Outlook yet. I am not sure I am going to, being that I am satisfied with Googles contact site as my main site.

Help Thanks
    OH it said something about opening my Memory card or something like that. Not at the current pc right now. And yes the phone was mounted.

18. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

I am having similar problems. Running XP, and cannot get HTC sync to start. It loads properly (or says it does) but when I start it, I get a dialog box that contains nothing but the warning (yellow triangle and exclam. point) icon and nothing else.

My phone says it can't find HTC sync.

I have downloaded the version from the HTC website shown above.

Help!!!

19. ggangi

ggangi Well-Known Member

Anyone Please?

20. Cellmate

Cellmate Well-Known Member

I was having problems syncing my Outlook contacts and calender on win 7...then I found this on the HTC site:

HTC Sync allows synchronization between a Phone and PC. The USB debugging check box in Home > Menu > Settings > Applications > Development needs to be selected for the phone to be able to synchronize with the PC using HTC Sync.
    Also after you know its working check the settings as they are on Outlook Default folders which is the Inbox on mine...as soon as I set it to Contacts and Calender Folder... bingo!

Hope this helps

21. jgrant

jgrant New Member

I was having similar issues and called customer support. I thought I should post what the CSR told me in case it may be the same cause for others. She told me the HTC Sync software does not work with MS Windows SP3...

I mentioned to her that many people have, or will be, updating to SP3, and asked if there was going to be an update soon to fix the issue. She had no idea.

One of the main reasons I bought this phone was the ability to sync with MS Outlook...:/

22. tispectrum

I use XP pro with SP3. No problems syncing with Outlook 2007.

23. kraze0g

kraze0g Well-Known Member

htc sync is only useful for outlook users correct?

24. torxhead

torxhead New Member

Mine synced at first, but all my contacts were doubled up. I read somewhere that gmail creates a contact from every message sent or received, whether you want it too or not. I only wanted to do cable syncs between home and work PCs and the Eris; I never use gmail. I TRIED to start fresh and delected all contact and calendar info from gmail, then from the phone and tried to sync. Wouldn't, no matter what I tried. Bit the bullet and reset the phone to force setup again. DIDN'T set up gmail on Eris, only my home ISP (roadrunner). Works now like I wanted it to, but I don't have access to Market because that requires a google (gmail?) account.

Is there any way to download apps w/o using Market? If not, I'll wait a bit before I set that up and when I do, try not to change any sync settings. If it screws up my ability to sync, or changes how it works, I'll start again and do without Market. I like some of the apps I downloaded while I had Market, but the phone already does more than I'll really ever use. Miss the ability to add ringtones, though.

If you'd like to try this and want to know what any of my settings are, let me know and I'll search them out - can't remember them off hand - there are so MANY and in so many different places. I confused :)

25. Cellmate

Cellmate Well-Known Member

I'll post what I had to do to get this to start working again after it worked for 1 day after first install then couldn't connect to my Eris.

un-Installed HTC SYNC
    Disconnected the USB cable
    Disable Virus Scan on PC
    Closed all WiFi connections to PC
    Closed all Programs on Phone.

Right clicked on HTC SYNC install program and set Troubleshoot compatibility to run under Vista SP2 with Admin Rights
    Installed

Plugged in USB cord
    Let Driver Install.

Works as required but if it quits again I will post back

p.s. when it finds the phone it will ask you to configure...do it manually as the default folders are not correct and it did not find them until I told it to use the Contacts and Calender