HTC Sync - can't see any items on Desire

Last Updated:

1. Mark One

Mark One Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Now I finally have a stable connection between Desire & Windows 7 I have a new problem.

Whenever I try to sync it goes through the motions but nothing syncs.

I have a clean Outlook install with nothing in it and the contacts and calendar entries on Desire came fromm synching with Google account.

For some reason HTC Sync doesn't see anything on the phone and reports no added / updated / removed items - so it syncs nothing.

Any ideas how I can get my contacts & calendar entries on the desire to show up so it can sync with outlook?

Many thanks, M1

Advertisement
  2. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

What version of Outlook?

3. Mark One

2007 12.0.4518.1014

4. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

If it's 32-bit you shouldn't have any issues, I run W7 Ultimate x64 and was using Outlook 2007 x86 and it was fine - not anymore though as I'm using Outlook 2010 x64 and the program doesn't support it!! D'oh!!

I don't remember any particular settings but my Desire and PC have never had an issue connecting (bar one yesterday which was solved by changing USB port - same thing happened with my HD2 in the same port too)

5. Mark One

It's 32 bit - and it isn't working. As I say, HTC sync doesn't seem to want to recognise any of the entries on the phone so just syncs nothing.

Thanks anyway - any other thoughts appreciated.

6. Mark One

OK - I just went to create a new contact on the phone to see if this would help and I notice that I have the option to create it in different accounts:

Google
    SIM
    Phone

I originally synched all my contacts from Google online so presumably they are in the Google account on the phone.

Ergo - they're not in the Phone account - which I bet is what HTC Sync syncs with Outlook.

I really can't get my head around all these accounts and calendars on the Desire - I just want 1 that syncs with everything.

Can anyone let me know if I'm on the right track and - if you understand all these Android account - advise me on how to configure this so that Google and Outlook are synching the right/same stuff?

7. emanselj

emanselj New Member

I have Windows 7 64 bit with outlook 2007 and a HTC Desire.
    It took me a while to figure out how to use HTC Sync but have finally succeeded.
    The phone came with v2.0.28.
    V2.0.33 is available to download from HTC support. It’s much better.
    Open up the HTC Sync Icon on the PC.
    On the Desire:
    Menu-Notification-Disk Drive-Done (this mounts the SD card)
    Menu-Notification-HTC Sync-Done (goes into the connection sequence)
    Finally connects and the phone says: ‘sync now?’ and the PC says ‘My HTC Desire’ in the bottom right hand corner.
    On the PC:
    Go to Sync manager-settings-conflict manager
    I said to ‘keep item in PC and overwrite in phone’
    First time I managed to wipe out my calendar entries.
    Synchronise Now
    And it Syncs my contacts and Calendar fine.
    Then go to the Desire
    Menu-Notifications-Disk drive-Done (this disconnects the phone from the PC.
    Some odd things:
    - There’s no easy way to stop HTC Sync on the PC. If you take the Ctrl-Alt-Del route you may have to re-boot the PC to get HTC going again.
    - On the phone if you go settings-SD&Phone Settings-Unmount SD card you may loose sight of the Menu-Notification-Disk drive and will have to re-boot the Desire to see it again.

8. Mark One

Hi emanselj - I did try with 2.0.33 initially but couldn't even connect with it.

I am trying to get the phone to populate outlook rather than the other way around. Can I just confirm something with you though - your calendar and contact items on the phone are all under your gmail account (rather than the "Phone" account) but still sync with outlook?

9. pacman10

pacman10 Active Member

10. Mark One

Paddy - to be honest, if you're not intending to use a gmail account and the "cloud" then you may want to think twice. It's a great device, well executed and hugely usable but to get the most out of it you do have to give in to google.

I am running on gmail (my pop3 accounts forward to it) and google calendar now as I love the 2 way push but at the end of the day, this is a kludge.

After nearly 2 weeks and asking dozens of questions on the forums I still cannot get my PC and device to connect using HTC Sync - and when I did briefly I couldn't get any data to sync. Others have though.

There are third party apps out there for desktop syncing but they come at a premium and I couldn't comment on their efficiency.

While I wouldn't go back (to winmo), a number of other quirks and niggles (multiple accounts for data on the phone that I still haven't worked out, no syncing of notes under any circumstances, limited functionality of stock email clients) would make this hard to recommend as a mission critical business device.

11. pacman10

pacman10 Active Member

Thanks very much for this rapid and informative reply.

I guess I'll just continue to trundle along with my iPAQ/HTC/Windows Mobile 2003 until something with wide connectivity and tried-and-tested synchronisation comes along (if something ever does).

It seems that the current smartphone trend is to lock the purchaser into the vendor's business model by selling devices with limited connectivity and compatibility and apps which are restricted to the vendor's universe - Apple pioneered this and Google seems to be doing it, albeit in a different way - so maybe I'm crying for the moon.

Paddy

12. pacman10

pacman10 Active Member

Re. giving in to Google, a glance at Google Calendar Sync sending erroneous notifications! - Calendar Help is an eye-opener.

Paddy

13. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

Yes, you're on the right track. HTC Sync will sync your contacts into the handset and put them all as "phone" contacts. These then won't sync with Google, but you have to make sure that in the contacts/people app you have the setting to view phone as well as (or instead of) Google contacts.

Same with the calendar - you will have a calendar called "My Calendar" and I haven't workout what that one is, then one called "your gmail address" which is the one that syncs to Google, then one called "PC Sync" which is the one that HTC Sync will sync to Outlook.

14. Mark One

Thanks Brykins,

So I can never have a single set of data in sync between Google and Outlook - I have to manage 2 completely separate data sets for both contacts and calendar to acheive this?

Ouch!! Why oh why oh why would they do that. It's almost as though I;m being actively discouraged from syncing with anything but the google cloud.

Another eyeopener for Pacman10 - and for me ...

15. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

There IS a Google Sync app for Windows that ought to sync to Google (can't recall if it's just contacts or calendar or both but I do remember that it didn't work for me) so you're right - it's sync to Google's Cloud OR sync to Outlook basically. This is, after all, a Google operating system and they want your info.

Funambol syncs your Outlook to a Funambol-enabled server and there is a Funambol client in development for Android (2.1+) which only does contacts so far. I used to use Funambol on Blackberry for OTA sync of calendar and contacts and it worked well. Luckily I signed up while accounts were still available at my.funambol.com, I'm not sure how one gets a free service any more.