HTC Sync failed installs

Last Updated:

1. dizzy

dizzy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I cannot get HTC Sync installed on my WinXP laptop. Based on all the posts I've read I'm not the only one with this problem. None of the posts seemed to have a fix and based on the comments of users who'd contacted HTC, they don't have a fix either.

I don't want to beat a dead issue but how am I supposed to sync my phone and computer?!?

Anyone know of another program that I could use in place of HTC Sync?

Advertisement
  2. treborcj

treborcj Well-Known Member

What error message are you getting?

3. R2D2-AKU2

R2D2-AKU2 Member

You need to disable all firewall and virus protection software. The first time I tried to install it (on vista) I got a warning and it failed. After killing onecare it installed successfully. Really all you need are the drivers as the software itself is worthless. I wish they would package the drivers separately.

4. dizzy

dizzy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I performed the install with my virus app disabled ... but didn't disable the firewall.

Am getting the "Generic Device Management Executable has encountered a problem and needs to close." that message pops-up twice during the install process. Then the install process reports that "it completed successfully" and an icon shows up in XP's Notification Tray. The Sync app opens but I can't do anything with it.

When I connect the phone to my system XP reports an error: "Unable to create Device Manager instance." but it appears to recognize the phone as an Android device.

I'm confused by some of the comments I've read that "only the drivers are needed" ... why are people saying that? I'd really like to be able to sync the phone with my contacts in Outlook and may need to setup for an MS Exchange Server ... won't I need Sync support then?

Any ideas? Thanks for the help!