HTC Sync IssueSupport

Last Updated:

1. willo

willo New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys, new android user.

I purchased a HTC magic from a mate who got it on a vodaphone contract. My plan has been to use it with a telstra sim, this worked without unlocking.

Ive had no problems getting onto the SD card to add media to it but cant for the life of me sync with outlook as ive been totally unable to get HTCsync off disconnected. Ive disabled all virus protection, uninstalled and reinstalled HTCsync a bunch of times. Gone multiple times through everything in the following link and searched heaps for a solution but found nothing helpful.

HTC - Support - HTC Magic - Troubleshooting

The ROM upgrade wont work as it spits out an error when i enter my S/N, i'm on firmware version 1.5, windows 7 on my PC.

Any feedback at all would be amazing, cheers.

Advertisement
  2. willo142

willo142 New Member

Aswell as having a very similar nickname, im having the EXACT same problem. are you using 32bit or 64? Mines 32bit windows 7 and its driving me insane, the drivers install automatically (i have no idea how too stop them) and when i try too update them, windows says it already has a newer version. im trying too re-root my phone so i can install a rom, is there possibly a way or re-rooting without the htc sync?

3. willo

Contacted and got a reasonably prompt response from HTC support, they said that the version of the phone that vodaphone released does not support HTC sync and that there is no solution for it. As a work around ive had to get my outlook calender syncing with my gmail one (through this application). this is fine but it means its yet another thing clogging my downloads but it doesnt include contacts, tasts and notes.

Pretty freaking useless as every phone on the market can easily sync all of these things with outlook, including (for all its faults) the iPhone.

4. willo142

willo142 New Member

damn, does that mean i cant unroot? im stuck with stock? :(

5. willo

so youve also got a vodaphone one? is it on a vodaphone contract?

6. willo142

willo142 New Member

Ye its vodaphone branded, but im using it on 3 at the moment.

7. IsabellaG

IsabellaG New Member

Yes, I just had the same conversation with HTC in Sydney (well, I'm in Sydney, she sounded like she was on Mars) who confirmed no sync with PC at all. If you don't use outlook (which I don't) there's no way to have the device recognised by your PC as a Device rather than 'temporary drive g:' or whatever. This means that any apps which rely on the PC seeing 'the device' will not work.

Vodafone, you suck. If you had told me this, I might not have purchased this model but maybe gone for the 'unbundled' model. :mad::mad::mad:

8. Aurvan

Aurvan Member

I have a generic HTC Magic (as far as I know), but I have the same problem. Let me explain what happens:

As part of the installation process (with no phone connected) HTC Driver is installed first. Here I get an error message related to the file "DPinst.ext" saying that the driver file can't be found in ...\HTC\HTC Driver\ (which is no surprise since the folder is empty). So already before I connect the phone, there is no driver for it to detect it. Can anyone tell me what they have in this folder? It's in C:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\HTC Driver on Windows 7 64 bit.

Apparently I need some kind of driver to get Windows to recognise my phone.

9. IsabellaG

IsabellaG New Member

You can get the drivers from the HTC site. I don't know why they ship it that way, it's weird. When I was trying to work out why my device wouldn't sync I tried downloading & installing those drivers. Beware, the servers are very very slow - I have ADSL2 & it still took 40 minutes for a 4Mb file.

Good luck.

10. Aurvan

Aurvan Member

Thanks,

But I can't find the drivers. I only find the HTC Sync program and two ROM-upgrades. Do you have a link to the drivers?

EDIT: From another post-

I found a driver that should work:

-Driver (32 bit): http://www.teknonytt.com/wp-content/plugin...wnload.php?id=1
    -Driver (64 bit): http://www.teknonytt.com/wp-content/plugin...wnload.php?id=2

But when I do update driver in Properties for the Android phone, and point to the above driver, I get a message saying that I already have the best driver installed (some generic Android driver). So how do I bypass Windows' idea that they should decide what's the best driver?