Htc Sync leaving out field in Outlook ContactsSupport

Last Updated:

1. Avrohom

Avrohom New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

I have just received my HTC Desire, last week. It's my first Android toy.

I've noticed than when synching with Outlook Contacts on the PC, some fields are not copied to the phone, for example the 'car' field, which is an additional phone number field.

Any suggestion?

Other than this, My previous phone was a BB Storm2. At the moment, My opinion is that, THe HTC desire is faster than the bb, its browser much better, but for day to day 'real world' use, the bb is much much better. More reliable, and although less options, but gives you those that you realy need.

I have got 7 days to decide if I'm keeping this one. I'm seriously thinking of returning this toy, and stay with my 'phone'.

Advertisement
  2. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

I too moved from Blackberry to Android and agree with you - as a business tool, Blackberry (and WinMo) beat both Android and iPhone hands-down. The built in PIM apps (contacts, calendar, tasks, notes) on Blackberry are hard to beat and the sync just works.

Google need to spend some time/money developing the PIM apps if Android is going to make in-roads into the corporate sector, but those of us stuck in the middle have a hard choice - I chose to stick with Android due to the App options that Blackberry simply isn't getting.

3. Avrohom

Today I came accross another big short-coming of the Android. With the introduction of Android 2.0, there was supposed to be the feature of having the contact names among the predictive options, whilst using the (virtual) on-screen keyboards. But this did not happen.

Also, in contrast with Blackberry, the predictive system on the android, doesn't learn from your typing, i.e. instead of suggesting more frequently used words first, it keeps listing them in the same order.

There is still a whole lot for Android to improve, in order to be even considered at same level as the BB and WinMo machines.

4. David12345

David12345 New Member

i worry about the desire not syncing directly with outlook, to think that you have to link to a server that can be easily hacked is concerning... could you imagine your who outlook calander sitting on a server open to the world?
    even if it is a VPN or secured it isnt.. I think this is a very bad move by google to entrap their customers so they can probably find out more about them...
    already google have linked with youtube & yahoo so they already know everything about you & they try to link each one on you each day... its google controlling the world & I say NO your not getting hold of my life & my personal calander on your server... say NO to the Desire until they allow you to use the calander freely without an internet connection & without a google server...

Google really is big brother in disguise be very careful ;

5. brykins

brykins Well-Known Member

Errrr....you don't *have* to sync with Google. I use a G2/Hero right now and use HTC Sync to sync my calendar and contacts to Outlook without ever going near Google. I have the Google Calendar and Contact sync turned off.

6. Avrohom

That's right. Using HTC Sync you don't need internet or anything else to sync (Most of the fields... Not all of them:)).

7. Squash_man

Squash_man Well-Known Member

totally agree. that's why I'm not using gmail :)

8. baja

baja New Member

Hi ,
    did you solve the sync problem? I have the same problem too , car field is not synced . Do you have any solution. Best regards and happy NY