HTC Sync: Outlook content vs Google content

Last Updated:

1. chris4chelsea

chris4chelsea Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Dear all, i m new to android/Hero. I searched ard and cant seem to find an answer to my question, so i decided to ask ard here.

I used HTC sync to import my outlook contact and calendar to my new Hero, and also logged in gmail on the Hero. I found that there r 2 sets of contacts on my phone (1. outlook, 2. gmail). this looks normal, but is there a way to consolidate it and only keep 1 set in the future? same applies to calender!? pls help!!!

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Open Calendar, select Menu and then Calendars. Choose which ones you want displayed on the handset.

For contacts, use People - Menu - View

3. chris4chelsea

Tks so much Slug... thats for selecting which set you want to view, but unable to consolidate contents to 1 set. I hope to be able to have 1 set e.g. outlook content sync with phone and phone sync to google...?

4. Slug

Not possible afaik. Best you can do is export Outlook contacts as a *.csv file and import that into Googlemail contacts via the web interface.

5. chris4chelsea

hmm.. i thot so too... tks Slug for the clarification. btw, does anyone know if there is any good app that can sync google mailContacts/calendar with outlook?

6. franners

franners Well-Known Member

Choose Menu - Settings - Data Sync then turn off syncing to google for contacts or calendar as you wish. Not the merge you asked for but why are you maintaining two sets of celendar and contact data in first place?

7. Slug

Perhaps, like myself, the OP finds Outlook convenient and useful? I'd be delighted if there was a way to sync Outlook directly with Google.

8. mario23

mario23 Member

Also, calendar sync doesn't seem to be playing nice for on Windows 7.
    Hopefully they polish it up soon or like said above...a full outlook sync instead of just the caendar.

9. chris4chelsea

i dont want to... thats y i m asking if there is somthing that i can sync outlook with google, such that i can have 1 set. with this set i can ask my hero to retrieve calendar and contacts from google instead of having to sync with outlook.

i treat my outlook as a main place to keeps my contacts and calendar items as most phones (nokia, sony...etc) can sync with outlook... thats y i kept outlook with most updated stuffs.

help... :)

10. cwrig

cwrig Well-Known Member

The phone integrates with Gmail contacts and calendar much better than outlook. All syncs are wireless, anytime, anywhere.

So, I suggest instead of looking for a way to sync duplicate systems, merge them to one but use both clients.

Export your outlook contacts to csv and import them into Gmail. You can also export outlook calendar to a file format G calendar can import.

Then use Gmail and Gcalendat as your single source for updating calendar and contacts.

You can then setip outlook to download Gmail via Pop 3 if you wish so you have the option of accessing your data via Gmail web, Hero, or outlook client.

But the big advantage is having all contacts in one place, backed up on the cloud, with seemless syncing with hero. You'll never even have to Dock the phone.

11. chris4chelsea

i agree... and guys, i found this which can sync gcalendar with outlook..
    Sync with Microsoft Outlook - Google Calendar Help

and this, which allows sync of everything really..
    https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gappssync

12. mario23

mario23 Member

That second one is for google apps premiere...

13. chris4chelsea

oppss.. yeap u r rite...

btw does anyone know how to delete the 'Outlook' calendar (after sync) completely from the phone.

14. umshamrock

umshamrock Well-Known Member

hi Chris4
    thanks for your links - my calendars are finally synced. yay!