HTC Sync + Win XP x64 = Not Good

Last Updated:

1. rafcor

rafcor New Member

I just got my HTC Hero, couple hours ago (happy purchase by the way), and wanted to update the firmware, but to do this I have to install the HTC Sync software.

Now the bad news, i have Windows XP x64, and I can't install at all the HTC Sync, Windows can find my phone, but without Sync, nothing can't be done.

I've seen several workarounds for Windows 7 (both x86 and x64), but that shouldn't work with Win XP.

This is the error I get when I try to install:

Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks for the help for an Android noob

2. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

I don't have an HTC phone, but is it possible to just transfer the files to the phone and install it all straight from there through the boot menu?
  3. rafcor

rafcor New Member

i need the files that are in the install file, which I can't install at all

i'm totally noob at android so any help would be great
  4. rafcor

rafcor New Member

I was able to extract all the files from the installer, but I couldn't figure out how to run the applications. Is there any way to update the firmware without HTC Sync, since at least I'm able to access the mounted microSD card
  5. adriaanbw

adriaanbw New Member

Does anyone have a work around for Windows XP 64 bit and HTC Sync not installing?

Alternatives to using HTC Sync at all to sync files?

Is there a manual way to Sync things like the calendar?
  6. aik099

aik099 New Member

Best phone ever HTC Desire, but I have Windows XP 64-bit and HTC Sync fails to install. I need to install HTC Sync 2.0.33, that will also support my device.

I only need HTC Sync for 1 thing for now: to transfer my outlook contacts to phone.
  7. aik099

aik099 New Member

8. skidder

skidder New Member

Well, I managed to install and use HTC Sync on Windows XP x64, which I consider the best performing Windows version ever made yet.

Here are the steps to do this:
    1. Run installer package from HTC web site. I used "_HTC Legend_HTCSync.exe" v.2.0.33. While it is running copy "HTC PC Suite.msi" from your temp directory to a separate location.
    2. Use Orca MSI editor to make the following changes:
    - disable Windows version check: remove "And (Not VersionNT=502)" from LaunchCondition entry
    - disable driver installation step: set condition InstallUISequence\CA_DriversInstall to a value that evaluates to False, e.g. "0 = 1"
    3. Install the MSI package as modified at step 2. It should install correctly.
    4. Manually install 64-bit Vista drivers for HTC communicators. They install just fine on Windows XP x64. I used the drivers from the following page:
    HTC Hero Drivers download for Android - Softpedia
    flumse and pckocher like this.
  9. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Were you around when Windows 7 came out? Lol, I dropped my old XP OS like a bad habit as soon as 7 came out. Haven't missed anything since then. To boot, I'm on 64 bit and have have no problems running anything, nor do I have to jump through all the hoops you have to install things or run things. Might I suggest, on behalf of everyone here, that you look into possibly getting Windows 7. ;)
  10. ynwa

ynwa Well-Known Member

Yeah ditch xp x64 and get Windows 7. Not a problem of any kind with HTC Sync, nor with any other program. XP x64 always gave me trouble.
  11. mkeath

mkeath Well-Known Member

Thirded. You're better off with XP 32 bit or Vista than XP x64. XP x64 was never any good.
  12. milau

milau New Member

Skidder - thank you very much for precise info about installing HTC sync on win XP x64. No problem at all. I registered just to say thanks.
    I completely agree with you about x64 being robust and easy to manage OS running here 24/7, including 3D renderfarm. Win7 = bloatware, useless transparencies, scattered XP features, patronizing "security" etc.
    Cheers :)
  13. rhamm621

rhamm621 Active Member

Thanks for posting this! Anyone know where I can find Evo drivers for xp 64? been having a tough time finding them...Any help would be appreciated.
  14. pckocher

pckocher New Member

Wow - thanks, skidder! I'd never edited an MSI before. Cool stuff. Now to see if I can get the device drivers I need and install them correctly (EVO 4G).
  15. pckocher

pckocher New Member

Ditto to that - I need XP 64-bit drivers that work for the EVO 4G.
  16. pckocher

pckocher New Member

@rhamm621 - Here's a link to 64-bit drivers for the EVO. The folder says 'Vista_x64' when it's unzipped, but they worked for me: Deposit Files

One thing: the ADB driver would not install in XP 64 Pro at first, but I could still tether via USB, and use the phone as a storage device. I happen to dual-boot this system with Win 7 64-bit, and when I booted to Windows 7, the ADB driver DID install from there. After that, XP seemed to use that driver as well.
  17. flumse

flumse New Member

WORKS and great simple explanation (write this on my XP x64 via HTC HERO 2,1 on wireless):)
  18. earljarosh

earljarosh New Member

Found your post but the current installer works fine for every thing except the drivers. For me it fails on the driver installation. I have even seperated the HTCdriver.msi for driver which is the current driver and removed "And (Not VersionNT=502)" from LaunchCondition entry. The install still fails and now stating the "HTC driver requires your computer be running Vista or XP". Even if I plug the HTC inspire in and then define the location of the .inf, I get a "windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware (code 39). If I have to hand jam each of the files, where do each of the driver files get placed?