• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Sync won't stay connected

digit

Lurker
Mar 22, 2011
Hello,

I am having difficulty upgrading my Aria. HTC Sync 3.0 is installed on my PC (WinXP) but it won't either make or hold connection to my PC. I get a message that says there is no phone connected and that I should unplug the USB for 10 seconds and then plug it back in. If it gets recognized at all, it's soon lost.

I have used the USB cable with phone set for charge only, also have copied files from my SD card to comp with phone set as disk drive without problems. Could something else be set wrong on the phone, or even on computer that is preventing me from using Sync?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
digit

I found out the hard way... hours of phone calls and searching websites.

After much searching, I made the final call to HTC and got someone who truly knew the answer, so I will share since nobody else will. BTW I've updated 2 Aria's since this original posting.
~~~~~~~~~
When it tells you that it has disconnected (so it was explained) is that it's gone to the root rather than using Sync. It will not recognize the Sync or connection program because you've gone into the 'heart' of the ROM. THIS IS NORMAL so do not fear. This is hard to do as I white knucked through it it the first time because... who wants a brick. Just keep going with the install program from the PC thru the USB cable. Each of mine took about 4 to 5 minutes, maybe less and the reboot can take a couple of minutes.

YOU WILL
lose the ability to assign a seperate picture on the lock screen. *sadly*
have to reset your preferences and re-pair any bluetooth items.
need to reset any Google/gmail acct to use android market to D/L prev used apps

Hope this helps. We need a STICKY on this subject. PLEEEEZE Somebody.

Upvote 0
Glad you found a solution to your question. IMHO, your "so I will share since nobody else will." statement was a little over the top. As though someone read your question, had an answer, but intentionally didn't post it just to spite you? Really?

I found out the hard way... hours of phone calls and searching websites. Seems nobody will share but I WILL!

After much searching, I made the final call to HTC and got someone who truly knew the answer, so I will share since nobody else will. BTW I've updated 2 Aria's since this original posting.
~~~~~~~~~
When it tells you that it has disconnected (so it was explained) is that it's gone to the root rather than using Sync. It will not recognize the Sync or connection program because you've gone into the 'heart' of the ROM. THIS IS NORMAL so do not fear. This is hard to do as I white knucked through it it the first time because... who wants a brick. Just keep going with the install program from the PC thru the USB cable. Each of mine took about 4 to 5 minutes, maybe less and the reboot can take a couple of minutes.

YOU WILL
lose the ability to assign a seperate picture on the lock screen. *sadly*
have to reset your preferences and re-pair any bluetooth items.
need to reset any Google/gmail acct to use android market to D/L prev used apps

Hope this helps. We need a STICKY on this subject. PLEEEEZE Somebody.

Upvote 0
Droidized: Reread the comment, don't take it out of context and don't jump me here on the Forum page over something you misunderstood. Also get your hand typed quotes right. We have a PM service to make clarifications out of forum view. I would have rebutted this privately but deemed it best addressed where you have publicly coloured me (a n00b here) as being offensive and quite possibly tainted opinions of others. Had you used the PM service with a querry I could have simply edited, but now since you have quoted it in your most negative post, it stands.
Gee, thanks.

Check AT&T site and you see how they pass the buck to HTC. Check HTC and they say you must have Sync and offer some incomplete instructions but don't say a word about it giving this 'disconnect' message or even if you need to have Sync opened (I still don't know as my Sync was open). I posted my question here so I answered here.
Yes, I say... SEEMS nobody will share... BUT I WILL! and I DID!

Oh yeah and, IMHO, try learning to use the Forum's private messaging. :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones