HTC Tattoo problems/issuesSupport

Last Updated:

1. tatutu

tatutu New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey phandroid phans,
    I just got a tattoo this week and have had a few problems, and thought I would post what I have seen so that other tattoo users can either add to the list, or respond with solutions or workarounds they have found.
    1) many apps from previous android phones are not available (presumably this is because they are "incompatible with the smaller screen resolution, but I suspect that many of them are just incorrectly tagged for 1.5 sdk or earlier, but would likely still work with donut-1.6) but could easily be made available with a tiny bit of tweaking.
    2) the HTC Mail widget can't be removed (or moved) from the second screen to the left on the Sense interface. Why even bother with this one over the gmail?)
    3) speaking of Gmail - somehow it only accesses the messages which are actually to my gmail address, and not to other addresses which are forwarded to my gmail (and are always in my gmail inbox) do I need to install google gears to get this working (which is not, as I found out quickly "gears for android" as listed in the marketplace) as it does on my laptop?
    4) All of this is would be easily solved if someone has just figured out to root this thing... I started along the hero donut instructions I had seen at unlockr, pressing the down volume rocker while turning it on, and it showed the HBOOT screen:
    HBOOT-0.52.0001 (CLIC10000)
    etc...
    I realized this wasn't the same so I didn't want to mess anything up or become the first casualty... (though I did enjoy the android on a skateboard graphic at the bottom)
    I came very close to trying the reset button, but wasn't sure that would do anything more than remove the few apps I was able to install

please add your comments, suggestions, etc... this really is a great phone, and the first android phone that was affordable for me (not to mention that Vodafone were the first to give me a contract without 3 years of UK address history).
    what is your take?

Advertisement
  2. MaxiP

MaxiP Active Member

Hi & welcome from another new Tattoo owner. I'll try and answer your questions.

1. Apps aren't available in the marketplace as the authors haven't signed them as working correctly with the QVGA screen. The apps might work but you'll have to install from local .apk file to find out.

2. Don't think so - I have removed the default email widget and use K-9 mail instead to collect my POP3 mail. Might sound a bit daft but are you sure you pressing & holding the widget properly ?

3. Don't know about this one - I have several email addresses pointing to my POP3 mail and I can picjk up all those messages. It may be that GMail sync happens before the email is actually in your Gmail account.....you'll need to do some further reading.

4. My first thought was 'how do I root this' but as I can install applications from HTC Sync and there isn't a 'better' ROM available, I don't need root at the minute. Perhaps if I start playing about with apps more then root might be needed.

Regards

Maxi

3. horobi

horobi New Member

i need to root it to import my nokia sms

4. diskhub

diskhub Member

I also need to root my Tattoo so that i can configure my wifi config file to allow me to access wpa2 enterprise network

5. swennl

swennl Active Member

6. MaxiP

MaxiP Active Member

Thanks for the link swennl but that's a similar thread, not information on how to root it.

I'm not sure you need to root it to get wifi to work - mine is connecting nicely to WPA2-PSK network with hidden SSID.

7. swennl

swennl Active Member

U don't need to root it for normal wifi.
    But if you root your tattoo you can thether your 3G/HSPA to wifi.
    so your making kinda router....

8. diskhub

diskhub Member

9. swennl

swennl Active Member

there is an app for wifi thethering, but the phone must be rooted.... even with that topic it need to be rooted..... so if we wanna do something, we need to root this thing first.

10. diskhub

diskhub Member

yes! that's why i need to know how to root the tattoo :D

11. swennl

swennl Active Member

Me to !

12. aero9

aero9 New Member

hello from another new tattoo owner.
    at the moment, i dont really need to root this device, but i would like to add some new theme to the phone, do i really need to root it to achieve that?

13. mavric_1

mavric_1 New Member

hi ppl , i need help plz ,i'm trying unsuccessfully to send or receive files with my tattoo using bluetooth , i heared that i must have root access for that is that true ? , thnx for your help

14. saddamhansson

saddamhansson Member

Hi all!

I've got a serious problem with installing apps on my HT Tattoo. Everytime I try (be it just something as simple as AK notepad) the phone starts to restart itself like 5 times a day! ^^

I don't know if this is culumative, but I really don't dare to push it. The only app I've managed to get working so var is gtasks.

Any ideas on how to fix this? =(