• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC "Test Menu"?

Just curious if it is ok to post the dial code to bring up the HTC function test program?

This allows you:
LED Test
Backlight Test
Vibrator Test
Display Test
Audio Test
Camerea Test
Button Test
HST Status
Line Drawing Test (this is how I found out that the digitizer for my touchscreen was bad)
System Info
Test Log Battery Run Down Test

Open the phone dialer and press the following sequence: *#*#3424#*#*
upon pressing the final *, you should then be in the HTC Fuction Test Program.

its just a test of the handsets features. see post #1.

Just curious if it is ok to post the dial code to bring up the HTC function test program?

This allows you:
LED Test
Backlight Test
Vibrator Test
Display Test
Audio Test
Camerea Test
Button Test
HST Status
Line Drawing Test (this is how I found out that the digitizer for my touchscreen was bad)
System Info
Test Log Battery Run Down Test

What does this test do?

Upvote 0
What does HST mean? and what is the battery run down test do? Just keep a log of the battery voltage for an hour?

In case you didn't figure it out yet, HST = Headset. If you plug in headphones you will see the status change from off to on. ;)

It appears that is what the the battery run down test does. I was too afraid to use it, but I like knowing it is there in case I decide I need it. Someday I might run it with my current battery since I know its currently healthy, that way if I think my battery goes bad in the future I will have some data to compare it to - every experiment needs a control.

Upvote 0

Came across another one of these 'hidden' menus. I figured I'd note it here for others. I think we should get a full list going.
*#*#4636#*#* aka *#*#INFO#*#*
Its a known menu, but not to everyone. It is another Testing menu that features:
Phone Info
Battery Info
Usage Statistics
Wifi Information

Proceed at your own risk, I wouldn't recommend monkeying with things in those menus.

Upvote 0

Thanks for posting this! One question, how did it show that your screen digitizer was bad? I am having a problem with mine and the line drawing test tool showed it too, but I can't tell if it is a software or hardware problem. From time to time the bottom part of my screen where the app button and personalization buttons are will not respond to touch. The home button and other buttons will respond. When I did the line drawing and dragged across that area, the line would not show up in that area until I dragged to a different area. This problem is intermittenent and another time I performed the test and it worked fine and the sense skin buttons also worked. Battery pulls, hard resetting, etc. don't solve the problem. Just wondering what your issue with the touchscreen was and if it was a similar problem. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting this! One question, how did it show that your screen digitizer was bad? I am having a problem with mine and the line drawing test tool showed it too, but I can't tell if it is a software or hardware problem. From time to time the bottom part of my screen where the app button and personalization buttons are will not respond to touch. The home button and other buttons will respond. When I did the line drawing and dragged across that area, the line would not show up in that area until I dragged to a different area. This problem is intermittenent and another time I performed the test and it worked fine and the sense skin buttons also worked. Battery pulls, hard resetting, etc. don't solve the problem. Just wondering what your issue with the touchscreen was and if it was a similar problem. Thanks!

Bring up the line drawing test and draw several horizontal lines across the screen, and then several vertical lines up and down the screen. If your digitizer is bad, then some of these lines will not come out properly.
This is what a good line test looks like. (Excuse my unperfect lines) You will know if the digitizer is bad.

Upvote 0
Bring up the line drawing test and draw several horizontal lines across the screen, and then several vertical lines up and down the screen. If your digitizer is bad, then some of these lines will not come out properly.
This is what a good line test looks like. (Excuse my unperfect lines) You will know if the digitizer is bad.

pic here:

Attachments

• IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    773.9 KB · Views: 631
Upvote 0
More codes...
I don't really know what these do. Can anyone help?

##3282# (I don't know what the letters would be) I've used this one to change the voice encoding and improve call quality, but there A LOT more stuff in there. FYI, editing things in this menu requires your MSL.

##diag# (##3424) I just tried this one out, and it does something. I have no idea what.

Upvote 0
I searched on XDA and came across an extensive list...
[How To] Retrieve MSL CDMA Workshop Method - xda-developers

Apparently you need your MSL for all of these, but there's a guide to getting it at the XDA link ... or you can just call Sprint and ask for it.

Can someone smarter then me help out with a guide to what all this does?

WARNING!!!!!!! I'm no phone expert, but I know that these menus are not dummy proof. If you don't know what you're doing you could definitely screw something up, maybe permanently. Explore at your own risk (i.e. don't get mad at me if you break something, I'm not responsible).

##data# (##3282#)
##debug#(##33284#)
##diag#(##3424#)
##svn#(##786#)
##prl#(##775#)
##prev#(##7738#)
##akey#(##2539#)
##vocoder# (##8626337#)

Upvote 0
Came across another one of these 'hidden' menus. I figured I'd note it here for others. I think we should get a full list going.
*#*#4636#*#* aka *#*#INFO#*#*
Its a known menu, but not to everyone. It is another Testing menu that features:
Phone Info
Battery Info
Usage Statistics
Wifi Information

Proceed at your own risk, I wouldn't recommend monkeying with things in those menus.

hi..can i ask..what im going to do if the line test is failed..

Upvote 0
how can i repair a failed line test?

Welcome to the forums Beast.
If you can provide some more details, or maybe even a picture, it would be helpful.
I'm guessing here, but you are not able to draw clean straight lines across the entire screen surface?

You probably have a bad digitizer (the electrically sensitive capacitive surface under the screens glass that uses a computer chip to convert your bodies electrical field into touch gestures). You can try to factory restore your phone and clear the software, but likely this is a hardware problem inside the phone. You'll have to bring the phone back to the retailer where you purchased or Sprint for repair or replacement. Hopefully the phone is within a 30 day swap for you, or you have the insurance plan.

Upvote 0
hi..can i ask..what im going to do if the line test is failed..

Likely the answer is to return the device. You can call sprint (with a different phone) and they can remote access your phone and run that test. They'll likely tell you to return it to a repair center.

Sprint Store Locator

Make sure it says Sprint Store, not Sprint via So-and-So. The So-and-so's like to give you a run around. The actual Sprint stores will generally help you more.

Upvote 0
##data# (##3282#)
##debug#(##33284#)
##diag#(##3424#)
##svn#(##786#)
##prl#(##775#)
##prev#(##7738#)
##akey#(##2539#)
##vocoder# (##8626337#)

I have been a lurker on this sight for a long time and saw this post so I registered.

This ##svn#(##786#) code will perform a hard reset and erase everything on your phone.

The ##vocoder# (##8626337#) code is one you really do not want to mess with unless you know what you are doing as it will mess up your phone if you do not.

Upvote 0
A new addition to the list has arisen after the latest update. Thanks to XDA.

*#*#76484#*#* aka *#*#SMITH#*#*

It accesses some Smith.apk settings:
  • Collect Log Files
  • Snapshot Reports
  • System Loggers
  • Battery Logger
  • * QXDM Logger
  • Pressing menu shows an about page

Curious. HTC just introduced me to *#*#3424#*#* to check battery issues that are regular for the htc evo design 4g. I understand why you might use this or the other dial code menus, but what and who could this *#*#smith#*#* serve purpose for??? "Snapshot reports" and "system loggers"? Again,.. I am just curioius if someone can answer?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones