HTC Unlock Bootloader = Root?

1. toasty

toasty Well-Known Member

Pardon what may be a silly question, but using the HTC Bootloader Unlock tool wasn't an option when I rooted my EVO, so I haven't really had much exposure to it. Is there any functional difference between using HTC's tool and rooting a device through some other means? Does Sprint cripple the tool in any respect?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

There are many functional differences.

You CAN have a custom recovery and CAN flash custom roms/kernels/ect. The process for this isnt always quite as simple though.

You DONT have S-OFF, so flashing things through the bootloader is mostly a no-go. (radios/splashscreens/bootanimations/ect)
    Skid71, AM2, toasty and 1 other person like this.
  3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Very often, you can get around the radio problem by unrooting, flashing an OTA image, then re-rooting.

It takes more steps, but in the end, most customizations are do-able. Not all, as Rxpert says tho.
    Skid71 likes this.
  4. regaw_leinad

regaw_leinad Active Member

Agree with this, I sure wish HTCDev unlock was a true S-OFF though.. would make things much easier.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  5. toasty

toasty Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I do seem to recall that if you use the HTC tool, the folks at Sprint will be able to tell that you did it, even if you subsequently unroot it. Does anyone have any intel on how Sprint handles that? Do they automatically void your warranty, or does it depend upon what all you've done to it? Although my phone is rooted, I feel like the things I do that require root are pretty milquetoast as compared to people that use it to overclock and things like that that have more potential to harm the phone.
  6. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

On the OG evo the bootloader was "water marked", it would read "Unlocked" at the top in purple or pink, I have trouble with certain colors :rolleyes:. I know the HTC warranty will be void if you do this, but as long as you have Sprint's insurance, the water mark won't matter. ;)
    toasty likes this.
  7. Doomstang

Doomstang Well-Known Member

First step for the One X over on ATT...they've gained root access although the bootloader remains locked. If there is no HTC Unlock in the future, I'm assuming they will find a way to S-Off (which could help us achieve that in the future).

One-Click Root Now Available For AT&T's HTC One X
  8. toasty

toasty Well-Known Member

Thank you, although I now see that I misworded my question. Regardless of the status of the HTC warranty, what I meant to ask is will Sprint decline to provide technical support for your phone on account of the fact that you've rooted it? We do have the protection plan, but I'm more talking about the sort of support you need when you haven't bricked the phone, but it still isn't working as it should. Do they have a blanket, "well, you're rooted, so you're on your own" policy, or is it more of a case by case sort of thing?
  9. EarlyMon

Sprint has an official policy to support rooted phones so long as the issue is clearly hardware, and not software related.

No one on the forums has reported any shenanigans by Sprint since they instituted the new policy last year, and everyone has seemed happy, getting protection coverage for dead screens, digitizers, radios - all stuff that root wouldn't break.
    Skid71 and Granite1 like this.
  10. CapThrowback

CapThrowback Well-Known Member

Speaking of watermarks, though - this one marks the Bootloader with the word "**TAMPERED**" at the top :eek:.
  11. EarlyMon

Watermarks? We don't need no stinkin' watermarks! :D

Srsly tho - it'll be pretty easy to tell mine's tampered with anyway. :)

I'll wait the two weeks before touching it to make sure it's not lemony hardware in any way and then just go for HTCdev unlock (with S-on).

And when S-off comes, I'll be doing that, too. ;)
    El Presidente, AM2 and Granite1 like this.
  12. suprmallet

suprmallet Well-Known Member

Would the HTC unlock allow me to install wifi tether? At the moment that's my top priority.
    Skid71 likes this.
  13. Scotlac

Scotlac Well-Known Member

It should since that doesn't require anything other than installing a root dependent app.
  14. EarlyMon

Unlock is step one, root is step two, then install root-dependent apps. ;)
  15. Scotlac

Scotlac Well-Known Member

Yeah, sorry.... that's what I meant. Root with HTC unlock versus S-off. ;)
    EarlyMon likes this.
  16. Granite1

Unlock with HTC debt will allow you to install a custom recovery and flash roms. Kernels are a little tricky, at least on the 3D. We'll see how kernels work on the El T.

It doesn't currently allow you to flash stuff from the bootloader unless of course its an official ruu, etc.

I wouldn't worry about the s-off aspect right off the bat. Someone will figure a way around it. ;)
  17. AM2

AM2 Well-Known Member

18. EarlyMon

19. AM2

AM2 Well-Known Member

so flashing things like animations and splash screens seem more on the cosmetic side. radios on the other hand seem to do more with function. are the stock radios often replaced with better ones with better signal strength etc. I'm rooted and just primarily flash roms and mods here and there. I think I've always assumed that whatever came in the rom I liked, so long as the phone worked to my liking, was all I needed. have I been missing out in some way???

also if this isn't too technical and silly of a question, why can't/aren't all things flashed through whatever is used to flash roms,mods,kernels etc.????
  20. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

21. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

An unlocked bootloader isn't full S-OFF so there are certain partitions that can't be written to in recovery. For example, you can't write to the boot partition so flashing a kernel has to be done manually using fastboot commands.

At the moment, when I flash a ROM, I have to boot to bootloader, flash the boot.img file using fastboot, erase the cache using fastboot, then go into recovery to flash my ROM. With S-OFF it can all be done in recovery.
    Granite1, Skid71, WifiMaxed and 3 others like this.
  22. WifiMaxed

WifiMaxed Well-Known Member

ATT OneX was shipped locked down, I can only guess that was a ATT thing. Sprint, thankfully stayed true to OG EVO heritage on being customizable. I just think this just one more cool thing Sprint did for LTEVO.
    Is it Friday yet? :D

Peeps over @ XDA are doing happy dance and jazzed up about LTEVO being shipped unlocked :)

EVO 4G LTE bootloader not on full locked down from SPRINT like AT&T ONE X - xda-developers
    EarlyMon and El Presidente like this.
  23. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Awesome! :)

I think the AT&T OX has root now and I think the International version is close to full S-OFF. Hopefully you guys won't be waiting too long for a full S-OFF solution. S-OFF looks much better than the Pink "UNLOCKED" (In HTC speak it translates as "This device has no warranty") atop my bootloader.

In the interim, a htcdev unlock is better than nothing!
    Granite1, jerofld, Skid71 and 2 others like this.
  24. Granite1

Agreed!! Thanks for giving a little better clarification above El Prez!! :)

I'll probably be using HTC Dev until we can get S-OFF....who am I kidding, I'll be using it!! :rolleyes:

Also I agree it's pretty cool the phones are being shipped unlocked. No need to go through the extra step to get your flash fix. :D
    El Presidente likes this.