• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HTC Weather Widget broken???

Just had this reply from Accuweather:
Hi Simon,

Thanks for contacting AccuWeather.com Wireless Support regarding the weather widget on your HTC device.

AccuWeather.com provides a data feed to HTC with a select set of locations that HTC uses for the widget you are using. The list of locations that AccuWeather provides was done at the request of HTC. If you do not see your location in the city list, then it is not available at this time.

AccuWeather does offer a free mobile website for all US and select international locations that can be accessed through your mobile web browser. To access this site, simply type in http://www.accuweather.com into the address bar of your browser.

If you wish to submit a request to have your location available in the widget, please contact HTC directly. Should you have any weather related questions, feel free to contact us by email at customerservice@AccuWeather.com.

AccuWeather
Sincerely,
Wireless Support
AccuWeather, Inc.
http://wireless.accuweather.com
http://www.accuweather.com

So, if your location is missing, then contact HTC. Or perhaps this is why locations now show as UK instead of a town name?

Upvote 0
With respect ....... and at the risk of repeating myself my location is NOT missing from list of locations that AccuWeather provides to HTC

My location was reported accurately up until about 11:30 yesterday.

Today ...... I have to travel 5 miles to get another (extremely rural) location to display on the home page.

wierd weird weird.

Surely this must be a network problem.

I assume that the location is defined somehow from the mobile network ...... is it possible my (and other people's) local cells have stopped broadcasting the data to define "current location" with any degree of accuracy?

Upvote 0
Yes, but with respect how do you know HTC havent applied an update to the URL/server the weather gets pulled from?

As I read it, the weather comes to us via HTC servers. Accuweather simply supply them a set of locations.

It could be you are getting the weather for your location. The accuweather feed would be called TOWN, UK. If HTC have somehow fixed the locations not showing yet this fix removed the TOWN field, the widget may default to country instead.

As above, contact HTC! ;)

Upvote 0
Interesting theory - but the update would have to have selectively removed locations rather than a global deletion of the "town" field as it does continue to display town data - just not here ....... I haven't been out and about much this weekend maybe as I travel around this week. I will get a better picture of whats happening.
Maybe then I'll do as you suggest and give HTC a tap.

.....I can also ask why the widget (even after a refresh) :Dshows a full moon at 0730 and a blazing sun at 2200!

Upvote 0
The weather widget is plain screwy.

I live in Jerusalem - a city with many neighborhoods.
In my international list, Jerusalem is always there - though not always with data.

On my home page Current Location is sometimes neighborhood and sometimes generic Jerusalem - with a different temperature (always hotter).

The other day I drove to Tiberias (a Very Hot city).
Tried to add it to my list - not there. The list is very small.

When I arrived in Tiberias - there is was as current location.

Very inconsistent operation.

Also updating, even manually is often inaccurate. It can be 8 PM and the widget is still showing the sun shinning.

There must be something better and more accurate.

Upvote 0
Although my phone is not showing United Kingdom, for some reason yesterday it started showing my county (Torfaen) instead of the town (Pontypool) while at home. It is working this morning in work but I'm in a major city now.

The only difference between the two instances is that at home I have to use wifi as I get a crappy data signal. I'm currently on Three.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones