HTC weather widget not displaying proper location

Last Updated:

1. jsward12

jsward12 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So after the froyo upgrade I cant get my location to update with or with out GPS enabled.....any one else having this problem?

Advertisement
  2. joe68

joe68 New Member

Yep seeing the same issue here. Mine is showing one city over. Not the end of the world for me, but a bug none the less.

3. sc0lded

sc0lded New Member

wx is as usual.

4. asillmon

asillmon Active Member

Same problem....even with weather channel app...

5. jamesdean

jamesdean Well-Known Member

You may have to do a factory reset to clear this. I was having this problem before the update and had to perform a hard reset after update for other reasons. So far mine has been updating perfectly.

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

I think bug is with the accuweather.com that they link to.

If I go directly to that site now, my city's not even listed any longer - and two weeks ago it got stuck in an endless loop trying to figure out if Santa Clara was in California or Caracas (on a browser - not even my phone).

Accuweather.com sux chrome.

I've always liked wunderground.com but all we get is the weather channel or accuweather (and no - it's NEVER accurate).

7. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

Your phone will determine your location in this order:

GPS
    Wifi IP address
    3G tower
    cell tower

If you have GPS turned on, AND your phone can find a satellite, it will report a correct location. To check, go to the Maps application and look for the special GPS icon in your status bar. If it's blinking, then it can't find a satellite. If it is not blinking, it should accurately show where you are on the map (if you choose "my location").

If you don't have GPS on, or you're indoors and can't see satellites, then the phone will default to the connected wifi's IP address location. I don't know how it works, but IP address blocks may have location metadata associated with them. Perhaps this info is retrieved at the domain name server level.

If you don't have wifi, but you get 4G or 3G, then your location will be triangulated based on your proximity to these data towers. If there's only 1 tower nearby, your location will be the location of that tower.

If you aren't in range of any data tower, then the phone's last resort is to triangulate your location from cellular towers.

If you see your location jumping back and forth between wrong and right location, chances are your GPS signal is not quite strong enough and it is cutting out. When it does, the phone gets the less accurate location from either wifi, data tower, or phone tower sources. OR, some of the towers you're triangulating off of are weak signals that cut out, resulting in a different triangulated result (especially when you can't actually form a triangle - less than 3 towers in range).

8. NicksGarage

NicksGarage Well-Known Member

Funny, for me, the weather app picked up my work city which was missing before. I'm using a different clock and WeatherBug now anyway.

9. sah367

sah367 Active Member

I'm having this problem on my Desire (still) running 2.1. Occasionally it picks up my location but normally shows it just "United Kingdom". This has only been happening for a few weeks. I have tried using GPS but still no luck...