• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC weather widget not displaying proper location

I think bug is with the accuweather.com that they link to.

If I go directly to that site now, my city's not even listed any longer - and two weeks ago it got stuck in an endless loop trying to figure out if Santa Clara was in California or Caracas (on a browser - not even my phone).

Accuweather.com sux chrome.

I've always liked wunderground.com but all we get is the weather channel or accuweather (and no - it's NEVER accurate).

Upvote 0
Your phone will determine your location in this order:

GPS
Wifi IP address
3G tower
cell tower

If you have GPS turned on, AND your phone can find a satellite, it will report a correct location. To check, go to the Maps application and look for the special GPS icon in your status bar. If it's blinking, then it can't find a satellite. If it is not blinking, it should accurately show where you are on the map (if you choose "my location").

If you don't have GPS on, or you're indoors and can't see satellites, then the phone will default to the connected wifi's IP address location. I don't know how it works, but IP address blocks may have location metadata associated with them. Perhaps this info is retrieved at the domain name server level.

If you don't have wifi, but you get 4G or 3G, then your location will be triangulated based on your proximity to these data towers. If there's only 1 tower nearby, your location will be the location of that tower.

If you aren't in range of any data tower, then the phone's last resort is to triangulate your location from cellular towers.

If you see your location jumping back and forth between wrong and right location, chances are your GPS signal is not quite strong enough and it is cutting out. When it does, the phone gets the less accurate location from either wifi, data tower, or phone tower sources. OR, some of the towers you're triangulating off of are weak signals that cut out, resulting in a different triangulated result (especially when you can't actually form a triangle - less than 3 towers in range).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones