HTC Wildfire arriving soon, but don't know how long to charge it firstly?

Last Updated:

1. mrhoax

mrhoax New Member This Topic's Starter

I can't wait for my brand new HTC Wildfire to arrive as it is my first Android/HTC/Touchscreen phone! LMAO xD

I was just wondering how long will I have to charge it at first. I heard that if I don't charge it overnight, it'll have a shorter battery life in the future but I've also heard about 'overcharging'? How much do you recommend should I charge it at the first charge when I get it?

Advertisement
  2. Jerry786

Jerry786 Active Member

I charged mine for 3 hours, As stated in the booklet. Thats the minimum amount you should leave it on for, If i had time i would have charged it for 10 hours though its still a mystery as to whether charging it for a long time first time will improve battery life in the future Hope this helps

3. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

If its anything like the desire:

Charge turned on until the LED goes green
    Disconnect
    Turn off and charge until green
    Disconnect
    Turn on, when fully booted, turn off and charge until green
    Turn on, hello phone.

Battery calibrated.

4. Tom Gore

Tom Gore Member

@mrhoax and re the revelation above...

Don't bother. The battery might need some time to "acquire" the full capacity but I am sure it is already calibrated (as well as "primed", "formatted" or whatever the hoax tells you).

From time to time they say it's good to deplete it in the normal fashion (i.e. by using the phone until it switches off due to low power condition) and then charge until the phone tells you it's done (green light).
    This, however, might only apply to special, "smart" batteries with built in capacity metering (such as Sony Stamina batteries) which do let you know more precisely how much power they hold.

I don't think HTC put such a battery inside the Wildfire. It will probably have a circuit monitoring temperature lest the battery pack goes awry and heats up too much. I think the phone monitors battery voltage.

I suggest everyone to go, read and perhaps write to the "battery university dot com" page before announcing another hype regarding modern batteries.

5. mgillespie

mgillespie Well-Known Member

The "big first charge" is a myth, it used to be true for NiCad batteries that had memory effect, but not for NiMH or Lithium batteries.

3hour initial charge is fine, you won't get any more by charging it more, and you won't get better performance by draining and fully charging it, these things no longer apply to modern battery tech.