HTC Wildfire or Orange SanFransisco?

Last Updated:

1. Muslimahxo

Muslimahxo Active Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, so basically ive researched the specs etc of both these phones. But im still undecided as to which one to go for..??!!!

The wildfire i can get for

Advertisement
  2. GavChap

GavChap Active Member

I had exactly the same dilemma you had when getting my wife's Christmas present.

I went for the wildfire for these reasons:

1) It has HTC sense, she likes that about my HTC Desire.
    2) It's HTC, they have a good reputation.
    3) The camera is better (she wanted a good camera)
    4) I bought a SIM-Free version from Amazon so I don't have to void the warranty by rooting and putting on a de-branded ROM.
    5) She's not on Orange.
    6) It won't have all the silly orange customisations and extra applications.
    7) It'll get 2.2 eventually.

3. BurnCK

BurnCK Well-Known Member

I already have a Desire but needed another cheaper phone. I was looking at the Wildfire simply because it's also an HTC phone and I know what I'm getting.....however, I opted to get the Orange San Francisco (aka ZTE Blade) and gotta say Im not disappointed.

The main selling point for me was the hi-res (480 x 800) 3.5" OLED screen compared to the lo-res smaller screen of the Wildfire. It also has a slighty faster processor.

I managed to get it for

4. gouldy26

gouldy26 Member

ive got a desire and a wildfire and both are rooted and flashed with froyo roms, now ive brought my daughter a sanfransisco for christmas ive rooted that as well and flashed it with pauls rom

now this is a fact when i say the sanfransisco is a superior phone to the wildfire, the screen on the wildfire is junk compared to the sanfransico even playing games like angry birds will make you wanna chuck the wildfire in the bin, it just lags and stutters where as the sanfransisco is smooth as my desire, trust me if you get the wildfire and then play with a sanfransisco you will be disappointed

wildfire is junk in comparison

and the camera is only better in darker conditions, in daylight the sanfransisco is just as good

5. hajj_3

hajj_3 Guest

I have the wildfire and have also owned the san francisco, here's my thoughts.

The camera is significantly better, especially when you view it in actual size (100%). Video recording is the same 352x256 or something, its also better on the wildfire. Audio is better on the san francisco when using internal speaker. Battery life is literally over double on the wildfire than the san francisco. The screen is amazing on the san francisco, many more apps available for it, you can't zoom well on web pages, its either view in 100% size or ridiculously small that you can't read anything, you can choose inbetween values with the san fran due to higher res. Speed wise they seemed pretty much the same even though the san fran has a faster cpu. The wireless on the san francisco is HURRENDOUS, it has wifi driver problems, it will disconnected when on idle, disabled this setting doesn't fix it neither do the blade wifi fix app on market, we need a fixed rom from orange to fix this, that was the biggest reason i sold it on instead of keeping it and selling the wildfire on. There won't be an official froyo release for san fran and there is no way to update the software on it, there's no option on the phone to check for updates. Its possible there may be a pc app to update the firmware to fix the buggy wifi but i doubt it, orange won't care i'm guessing.

The wifi is the reason why i didn't keep the san fran, i could have lived with worse photos and half the battery life but i couldn't live with wifi that didn't work half the time.

gouldy26 is wrong about the camera, check these photos and videos i took: http://www.mediafire.com/?ab5llwf5mjhmlmh

view the photos in 100% and look at the wooden fence at the right centre and compare, very noisy and poor detail. The video is way worse and has hurrendous audio too.

I hope HTC release an android 2.3 device around

6. BurnCK

BurnCK Well-Known Member

Dont get me wrong....if the Wildfire had a better screen than QVGA then I'd go for that as the build quality feels alot better, but the fact that it doesn't makes internet browsing a pain and limits the apps you can use on it. If HTC had made the screen at least VGA (480

7. ArthurIhde

ArthurIhde Well-Known Member

I would choose Orange SF.[​IMG]

8. JamesT

JamesT Well-Known Member

Yes it does

9. ryanraven

ryanraven Well-Known Member

the Francisco is awful for battery life.
    ZTE have really poor build quality.
    i went for the wildfire because it dose everything i need it too do and more.
    yeah the screen is QVGA but dose that really matter ??
    u could get both and maybe insure them for a few

10. BurnCK

BurnCK Well-Known Member

Can't say I've noticed it being awful. It certainly lasts me 24hrs constant usage.

Poor ? I'd say cheap, but its really only the casing. Screen quality is brilliant for the price.

I guess that depends what you want it for and what apps you want available to you....

11. gouldy26

gouldy26 Member

to be fair when i was on about the pics i was only comparing them while on the phone as i still stand by what i said, looking at a outdoor pic taken in daylight viewing it on my sf screen it looked perfect, i haven't put one on my computer yet
    and yes there is a couple of faults with the sanfransisco (build quality being one) but for me the positives seriously out way the negatives and in the process make the wildfire seem like its the

12. ryanraven

Huh Angry birds works fine on mine and prob will work even better on 2.2 yes 2.2 somthing the san Francisco will never see unless you root it. Me, i like the official updates and not ones that have been put together by some clown ( previous Experience )

13. Lagro

Lagro Member

You are right!

14. gouldy26

gouldy26 Member

Clowns? Lol now I know you don't know what your talking about
    And is there anyway you can make a little video of angry birds. Running as smooth as you say cause for me on stock and every rom there is at stock speed and at 768MHz it stutters like crap

15. ryanraven

Yes clows lol im running mind fine it does stutter a bit but really its fine. Guess things may improve with Froyo but who knows. When i say clowns i mean iv had some shitty roms that almost killed my phones.
    Never Never again wait for Genuine Releases.

16. BurnCK

BurnCK Well-Known Member

Considering that there are already 2.2 Custom ROMs for the San Francisco (which work fine by the way) based on an official ZTE Blade 2.2 ROM, then I don't think you can say there will NEVER be 2.2 on the San Francisco. If the ZTE Blade (which is the same phone as the San Francisco) can have 2.2 then there's no reason why it won't come out for the San Francisco. Might just have to wait a short while....

17. ryanraven

well i have both Wildfire and san fransisco phones im testing and the san fransico is far more laggy than the wildfire and very noticeable people might think its faster because of the CPU but the AMOLED screen need more power from it to run than the smaller resolution screen on the wildfire making the wildfire very smooth. i prefer the wildfire.
    Better Camera 5MP
    battery is great for me 2Days with wi-fi on most of the time.
    Sturdy and very well built unlike the san seams very cheap and plastic
    I had my wildfire for about the same price as the san and the wildfire is gettin a official update to Froyo very soon unlike the san were you have to root and flash which can make some people ( neebies ) completely screw up thier phones and the warranty wont cover them. Oh did i mention i had 1 year FREE insurance for my phone :)

xynok likes this.
  18. Chrome11

Chrome11 New Member

WF is not cheaply made like SF i would go for WF anytime even if SF got better cpu and screen/display. end of the day would u like to show off a WF or SF in public or to friends and family? but hey if ur on a real tight budget, SF is ur phone. anyways ive seen the SF it looks like a phone from a black market in africa.

19. 03swond

03swond New Member

Funny that, my dad got me a Wildfire and a friend the SF, i love the wildfire, and i got to play with the SF, within hours of purchasing the SF i had it unlocked (its free) and debranded to a custom 2.2 rom, which i followed an online guide and worked fine, which i was happy about because im not great at bit like that. The only thing to link it back to orange was the tiny logo on the back. The Wildfire costs

20. bigbosa

bigbosa Active Member

The wildfire is ok for what it is ...but really I wish I could afford a Desire :D

21. bkj

bkj New Member

i made the mistake of getting a wildfire(now waterlogged i have no phone at the moment) trust me if you can stretch your budget a bit more get a motorola android.myfreind has one and it runs so so smoothly. im probabaly going to get the defy for obvious reasons:really strong gorilla glass screen(dont need to waste money on protectors)shock proof (no need to buy case)and its dust and water proof.

22. speculatrix

speculatrix Member

I bought wife a SanFran (SF) just recently as she was lusting after my Desire Z (DZ) which I got at work last week. The SF cost me

23. qyuubi

qyuubi New Member

My sister in-law has Htc Wildfire and i have the San Francisco.
    At first the phone battery used to die and memory used up fast because of android 2.1
    However now that i have android 2.3 it performs as well as a Samsung Galaxy S (not playing games of course). taking pictures isn't as good of course but that's why i have a handheld camera for.
    The Htc Wildfire sure has the looks though, being made by HTC. On the downside the Wildfire has only android version 2.2.
    San Francisco has daily updates of roms thanks to CyanogenMod 7.

So ill go with San Francisco any day over the Wildfire.

24. trevor_vorrins

trevor_vorrins New Member

Initially the game on previous os version didn't worked but after upgrading my phone's firmware to the latest version, all the games run smoothly without making the phone lag. Prior to upgrade the only problem i used to face while playing angry birds and nfs on htc wildfire was the phone's display used to zoom whenever i used to launch the game which needed to press standby button to get it work.

However after upgrading the phone's version now i am not facing such problem. Moreover if you wish to play high quality games on htc wildfire then you must upgrade the firmware as recently launched games could only be enjoyed on the wildfire equipped with latest android version.