• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

HTC Working on critical SMS/Voicemail issue

elguapo76

Oct 24, 2009
This was just posted on the Sprintusers forum and I thought I would post it on here for those having sms/voicemail issues. Here is the link to the original post. SMS ISSUES!! (HTC Is Working On A Fix!) - SprintUsers.com Please watch for any ROM memory leaks that some of us are experiencing as this could render your phone unable to receive sms or voicemail notifications. See here: http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/12303-low-space.html To check your ROM space go to SD & phone storage in your settings menu. By the way even though the official HTC Issue does not include voicemail I have added it because it was my personal experience that this effects voicemail as well. I believe it is pushed the same way as sms/mms.

Issue Title:
HTC Hero (A6277) - Unable to receive SMS, cannot be resolved via Hard Reset

Posted Date:
10/26/2009

Issue Type:
Known Issue

Description:

An issue has been identified where the Hero by HTC may enter a state where the device is unable to receive SMS and cannot be resolved thru standard troubleshooting up to and including a Hard Reset, ##786, and software reflash.

Action: Policy Exchange

When the device runs out of available memory a system flag is set indicating that there is no memory available to receive incoming messages. The device requests a retry, and the network will continue resending for 72 hours. Currently there is no field accessible method available to bring a device out of this state, however HTC is working to develop both a short and long term solution that will be communicated when available.

The best method of prevention currently is to ensure adequate memory is available on the device to prevent the flag from being set.

If the this issue is encountered, follow the steps below:

Back up all customer data from the device.
Power the device off.
Hold the Home and Back buttons then press the End/Power button.
Follow the on screen prompt to clear all user data.
One the reset is complete, test the ability for the device to receive SMS. This can be done by sending a test message then confirming it has been received via the SMS network tool (Intercarrier/Metcalf/ICSMS).
If the issue persists, exchange the device and return the unit via the EFFA process until this article is updated with a solution.
We are investigating an additional issue that may cause devices to intermittantly receive an SMS but not display the message to the user. This issue is distinguished from the above in that it is resolved by a soft or hard reset. No exchange is neccesary for the intermittant unable to receive SMS issue, we will post an additional KI when a solution is available.

This was just posted on the Sprintusers forum and I thought I would post it on here for those having sms/voicemail issues. Here is the link to the original post. SMS ISSUES!! (HTC Is Working On A Fix!) - SprintUsers.com Please watch for any ROM memory leaks that some of us are experiencing as this could render your phone unable to receive sms or voicemail notifications. See here: http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/12303-low-space.html To check your ROM space go to SD & phone storage in your settings menu. By the way even though the official HTC Issue does not include voicemail I have added it because it was my personal experience that this effects voicemail as well. I believe it is pushed the same way as sms/mms.

Issue Title:
HTC Hero (A6277) - Unable to receive SMS, cannot be resolved via Hard Reset

Posted Date:
10/26/2009

Issue Type:
Known Issue

Description:

An issue has been identified where the Hero by HTC may enter a state where the device is unable to receive SMS and cannot be resolved thru standard troubleshooting up to and including a Hard Reset, ##786, and software reflash.

Action: Policy Exchange

When the device runs out of available memory a system flag is set indicating that there is no memory available to receive incoming messages. The device requests a retry, and the network will continue resending for 72 hours. Currently there is no field accessible method available to bring a device out of this state, however HTC is working to develop both a short and long term solution that will be communicated when available.

The best method of prevention currently is to ensure adequate memory is available on the device to prevent the flag from being set.

If the this issue is encountered, follow the steps below:

Back up all customer data from the device.
Power the device off.
Hold the Home and Back buttons then press the End/Power button.
Follow the on screen prompt to clear all user data.
One the reset is complete, test the ability for the device to receive SMS. This can be done by sending a test message then confirming it has been received via the SMS network tool (Intercarrier/Metcalf/ICSMS).
If the issue persists, exchange the device and return the unit via the EFFA process until this article is updated with a solution.
We are investigating an additional issue that may cause devices to intermittantly receive an SMS but not display the message to the user. This issue is distinguished from the above in that it is resolved by a soft or hard reset. No exchange is neccesary for the intermittant unable to receive SMS issue, we will post an additional KI when a solution is available.

I have the one that can not be fixed with a hard reset. Sprint told me to swap the phone out. Any ETA on a fix? This is going to be a deal breaker for me if they can't work around it (30 day return policy, 3 weeks left).

Upvote 0
I have the one that can not be fixed with a hard reset. Sprint told me to swap the phone out. Any ETA on a fix? This is going to be a deal breaker for me if they can't work around it (30 day return policy, 3 weeks left).

I don't have and eta on the fix. They are working on fixing the SMS issue but at least when I called them they are unaware of a ROM leak which I believe is what is leads to the SMS issue more than not. I think I have found the culprit on what is eating up the ROM memory and why not a lot of people are experiencing it. Although I believe it is a widespread flaw in the system just not being triggered by most people. I want to make sure before I say anything though. I just need to replicate it a few more times, not that easy to do when you actually need it to happen, lol. I will try to document it tonight or tomorrow on video.

Upvote 0
So far the only leak anyone has been able to find is with bluetooth getting stuck "connecting" The other way this can happen is if you fill your phone up with too many apps. I have personally taken mine down to 35mb free space without bricking it. So your phone will brick somewhere between 9mb and 35mb. Where exactly remains to be seen.

Upvote 0
The sprint online support assures me that they will keep swapping the phone out if the Sprint techs can't resolve the issues as they re-occur. This has kind of spooked me. As it is the IPhone worked perfect with my Bluetooth in my car. Apparently this phone not only sucks at Bluetooth but it kills my SMS. The sole reason I switched to the HTC to begin with. $69 for all data on sprint rocks. Plus I kind of like the Hero overall compared to the Iphone. I am torn between going back to ATT and paying $$ for stability. I want to ride this out but if it has been an issue for 6 months on the other HTC what is the likelihood this will get fixed anytime soon?

So long as sprint honors the phone I am satiated somewhat. Although sprint does not even classify this as a know issue right now. Is there an official HTC thread?

Upvote 0
You can avoid losing SMS/Voicemail function by not allowing your memory to run too low. That means if you keep using bluetooth and failing connections hard resetting your phone around the 40mb mark. Of course if we do this we will be saving Sprint's behind from more returns and they might slack off on a fix. Then again they will probably be swamped with a bunch of returns since not many people actually use these forums.

Whatever way you approach this issue it will be a major inconvenience.

HTC has yet to officially confirm this that I know of. I sent it right after I made the video documenting it and I have yet to officially hear anything from them.

Sprint is aware to some extent, at least their admin and phone team is but haven't heard anything from them yet.

See this thread to follow that and post there if you have had this issue.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/127379#127379

Upvote 0
I have had my Hero for about 3 weeks this is my second one the first would not recieve calls and sent them all straight to vm my second one has worked well until today where it has started again the only other knock I have is that it is battery thirsty other than that eem to be a great phone

Just wondering if anyone else has had an issue with the straight to VM situation

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones