• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help HtcDesire wont turn on or charge

My HTC Desire is around 4 months old. I was just browsing facebook on my phone and stopped for 5 mins. went to unlock my phone and there was no response. I thought perhaps by some chance it ran out of battery. Put it on charge and there was no response. I took out the battery and put it back in and still no response.
anyone had this problem or know what I can do to solve it ?
I feel lost without my htc. :( haha
thanks

Hi maroonshauna, and welcome to AF,

I don't know what's happened either, but let's start with a simple one: does the charge light come on when you plug the phone in? If it doesn't, you need to contact HTC as that's a serious hardware fault.

If it does, does it come on steady orange or does it flash? The latter would indicate a charging problem. Can you boot the phone up while it's connected to the charger? You may not be able to, but if you can it will give you a chance to back up any vital data.

I've never heard of a phone shutting down when the camera is used. Did it do so in any other circumstances (e.g. when using GPS or 3G data - I'm thinking of things that might load the battery)? Have you received any software updates recently, or made any modifications yourself?

The simplest/cheapest possibility is that your battery has packed up completely, in which case a different battery would fix it. Other possibilities include the battery connectors (as discussed earlier in the thread) or a fault in the phone circuitry. You can at least see whether the battery connectors look intact. Have you tried leaving the battery out for an extended period, as an earlier poster found worked?

Upvote 0
I've had the htc desire c for about 3 or 4 months. I dropped it a couple weeks ago and the screen is cracked, but it's been working fine ever since. It was charging just now and I pressed the power button to unlock it again and it didn't work. I took out the battery and (this is bizarre...) for about 20 secs after I pulled the battery, it was still showing the "battery charging __%..." page with the green battery filling up. With no battery in the back! After 15-20 secs it shut off. I put the battery back in and the charging screen came up again. But tried to turn the phone on and nothing worked. Tried holding volume down and pressing power, held power for about 30 secs, nothing is working... HELP!!!!​

Upvote 0
The Desire 300 is a different phone from the one we discuss here. But when you say continues vibrating do you mean literally continuously until the battery is flat, or that it vibrates a number of times (e.g. 7 times) when you try to turn it on?

If it's really continuous that sounds like a fault, but not one I've met. Try pulling the battery out for a couple of minutes, and if that doesn't fix it you need a repair.

If it's 7 vibrates when you try to turn it on your motherboard is dead, and you definitely need a repair or replacement.

Upvote 0
You don't say what model HTC, but as the original Desire doesn't have the charging picture you describe I suspect it's a different model.

There's very little we can do if it's totally unresponsive. Maybe, just maybe, the battery has utterly failed, in which case a replacement battery will fix it. At the other end it could be that the motherboard has failed, in which case you need a new one. But unless it's the battery this sounds like it needs repair.

Try pulling the battery out for a couple of minutes, but I doubt it will help this time.

Upvote 0
The Desire 300 is a different phone from the one we discuss here. But when you say continues vibrating do you mean literally continuously until the battery is flat, or that it vibrates a number of times (e.g. 7 times) when you try to turn it on?

If it's really continuous that sounds like a fault, but not one I've met. Try pulling the battery out for a couple of minutes, and if that doesn't fix it you need a repair.

If it's 7 vibrates when you try to turn it on your motherboard is dead, and you definitely need a repair or replacement.
Are you totally sure that seven vibrations means the motherboard is dead?! My Desire 300 has been glitching out for a couple of weeks, and today gave up entirely. When I try to switch it on it gives the preliminary vibration, and then after a pause, seven quick vibrations. Does this mean I have to take it somewhere for repairs? Please reply, freaking out now!:/

Upvote 0

Are you totally sure that seven vibrations means the motherboard is dead?! My Desire 300 has been glitching out for a couple of weeks, and today gave up entirely. When I try to switch it on it gives the preliminary vibration, and then after a pause, seven quick vibrations. Does this mean I have to take it somewhere for repairs? Please reply, freaking out now!:/

Upvote 0
Hello. I have an HTC Desire. I didn't use my phone whole day but it was turned on. Then I wanted t use it, it worked normally for a while, I opened the application I was going for (it's dictionary app, I use it often and I really doubt it would be the problem) and the phone froze... I waited a while, tried to turn it off, but it didn't work so I pulled the battery out, I returned it and tried to turn it on. It didn't. I pun it into charger, it's not reacting, I tried everything I could think about but nothing's happened.
Any advice?

Upvote 0
Does the charging light come on when you plug it in?

Check the battery terminals are clean and the battery is seated correctly. The phone only gets power from the battery, even when plugged in, so if it's completely unresponsive that's the first thing to check.

No, and the battery was seated correctly :/ I even tried different chargers and still nothing

Upvote 0
In which case the question about the charging light is very important. If the phone is off, the battery is in, and the charging light doesn't come on when you plug it in that is a very bad sign indeed. The light being on steadily would indicate the charger working, a flashing charging light would mean a problem with charging (you should see that if you try plugging it in without the battery).

If the charger appears to be working but the phone won't come on all I can suggest is to try leaving the battery out for a few minutes to let the circuits discharge completely. If that doesn't work (very likely) then either the battery is really, really dead or the phone has a serious fault.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones