• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HTCDev.com Unlock - Perm Root - Amon Ra or CWM Recovery

Some quick dev progress in such a short time.

Things I've done already:
------
Flashed Amon Ra Recovery (have performed 2 nand recoveries without a hitch)

Flashed CWM Recovery to replace Amon Ra (I had problems with the nand backup so I reverted back to Amon Ra)

Flashed an unsecured boot.img

Flashed Clean Rom which scrosler provided (Excellent Custom Rom)

Flashed BAMF 1.0 Custom Rom to replace clean Rom (gotta try everything)
-------

I plan on flashing everything that rolls out, and if anything goes horribly wrong I know I can just drop some cash for a replacement. Holding onto the extra battery, door, and 16gb microSD will make parting with the cash a little easier.

Gotta love the lightning fast development. Hopefully we see some CM9 support.

Upvote 0
I'm looking for a rom that is super clean with damn near every bit of bloat gone. i liked cyanogen7 on my s2 as my battery life lasted so long it was insane

I'm using Scott's CleanRom and it is Sense. It's got some bloat removed but it's not stripped like cyanogen yet. I'm not sure about TEAM BAMF's Rom. I enjoined cyanogen on my Inc but I've always liked Sense and it's widgets. I did see in a forum over on XDA that Scott would be working on a non-sense version.

Upvote 0
There is a one click root method, there really shouldnt be questions about what you need to root the phone, right? Just download, plug your phone into computer, click and root. Or am I missing something?

To properly perm root, you'll want to unlock the bootloader first, then do the 1-click, then install Amon Ra recovery.

Upvote 0
Anyone have the link to the correct version of Amon RA? I unlocked the bootloader and rooted, but didn't want to flash a bad copy of the recovery.

I got mine here along with an unsecured boot.img and the BAMF custom ROM.
If you choose to, you can download the Clockworkmod recovery instead as it is also offered.

[ROM] BAMF Rezound 1.0 - RootzWiki

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Couldn't find any info... Is there a safety net or sbf incase we brick or need to return to factory for warranty needs?

Nope. Once you go thru HTCdev, your warranty is gone.

Your alternative is to wait to see if the dev community continues to pursue a private unlock for the Rezound. The guys to follow for that are probably revolutionary.io - and you may find others posting about that on XDA.

When the phone came out, one guy did manage that (posted pictures with proof), but we've yet to see that out for regular users.

Upvote 0
Couldn't find any info... Is there a safety net or sbf incase we brick or need to return to factory for warranty needs?

The htc/dev site says you void most of your warranty when you use the htc/dev unlocker. I was told by a friend in VZW corporate sales that when you go thru the unlocker it copies your ESN and keeps it on file. Probably sends it to VZW also so they can void you warranty. :D

Upvote 0
I just returned my GNEX today for a Rezound :). Really like the phone. Could someone point me to the most update directions for rooting the Rezound? I've never rooted an HTC phone before so I'm kind of nervous, but I can't wait to remove this bloatware.

How easy is it to root this device? I've rooted my OG Droid and DX/DX2 but nothing like this.

Also, how do you unroot and if you make a mistake rooting is it easy to get out of it.

Upvote 0
The htc/dev site says you void most of your warranty when you use the htc/dev unlocker. I was told by a friend in VZW corporate sales that when you go thru the unlocker it copies your ESN and keeps it on file. Probably sends it to VZW also so they can void you warranty. :D

actually i think i read that somewhere. ...not sure where. May have been on twitter. I remember someone saying they were not going to use Htc/dev unlock just for that reason. They were on a Sensation with Tmo.

Upvote 0
actually i think i read that somewhere. ...not sure where. May have been on twitter. I remember someone saying they were not going to use Htc/dev unlock just for that reason. They were on a Sensation with Tmo.

so if i unroot they can still tell so I'm unable to send my phone back even though i have ausurion, etc. say i have a issue thats related the hardware and not user error i cant do anything about it then? i never would of done this if i had known. i feel stupid now, this really sucks.

Upvote 0
Probably sends it to VZW also so they can void you warranty. :D

Popular misconception. VZW doesn't operate like that, nor does HTC know that you've voided your warranty until they receive the phone. All you did was apply for an unlock key. They have no way of telling you actually applied it until they have phone in hand.

Reactions: Avuja
Upvote 0
so if i unroot they can still tell so I'm unable to send my phone back even though i have ausurion, etc. say i have a issue thats related the hardware and not user error i cant do anything about it then? i never would of done this if i had known. i feel stupid now, this really sucks.

Asurion is always something you should have. That way when the manufacturer/Verizon won't support whatever you did to the phone ie water damage, you can pay them a few bucks and get a new phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones