• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1259821

Cyanogen have their own site - CyanogenMod | Android Community Rom based on Gingerbread

The best thing is, now that you are rooted, you can make a complete backup of your phone as it currently is and then try different ROM's... if you don't like it, you can either restore the phone to how it was before, or try a different ROM!!

EDIT - only put CM7 in my post, so you know what people are referring to :)

CM7 is vanilla android (with little/no extras on top) - very customisable and VERY slick... it looks like Android on one of the Nexus phones that Google have released

Upvote 0
Each person has their favourite... it really depends what you want from Android.

Do you like the HTC Sense experience of the stock ROM or do you fancy a change? I recomend CM7 - I've tried a few, but found that it best suits me... it's not a Sense ROM, but vanilla Android.

The joy of having rooted your phone is the ability to change when you feel like it! You've already said you're backing up - great... best to get in to good habits!!

Upvote 0
The Gallery view on CM7 is awesome! It took a while for me to get used to some of the differences, but once you get used to it, it's pretty hard to go back (I hated CM7 at first, but no can't really go back to Sense). The only thing I really miss is the camera, but there are alternatives.

I'd also recommend not using ROM Manager for your first ROM flash. It does everything for you (sounds like a good thing :p), but it also means that you've no idea what to do if you get in a position whereby you can't boot the phone or you get a bootloop (if you flash stuff on a regular basis, this will happen). I'd say the first time you flash a ROM, do it manually so you get to grips with Clockwork a little. ROM Manager also won't wipe fully (which some ROMs recommend) and if you want a clean install, it's best to do a full wipe beforehand.

If you decide to go for CM7, there's a guide here.

Upvote 0
im after a little help,

i went back to cm7 and more i play with it i like it, only trouble is my contacts arnt all there, only 33 off 203 for some reason, there not all backed up to google, i thought the phone did it automaticly

also if i use rom manager and download a rom, I.E cm7 and leedroid does it keep the rom files on the SD card as iv lost bout 3 gig and hav noticed i can flick between cm7 and my sense rom fairly quickly, if the sd card does hold the rom files which is the best way about perm deleting the one i dont want,

sorry for all the questions, bit of a noob to all this

Upvote 0
If they're not there, titanium might've backed them up. If not, your best bet would be to backup CM7, then go back to the backup you took of the stock ROM, import them to Google and then go back to CM7. There's a link to the CM7 install guide a few posts up (where I mention the gallery app). I think the install guide contains instructions to backing up your contacts to gmail. Once backed up, restore your CM7 backup.

The ROMs are on the SD Card, can't remember where but I'll have a look when I get home (unless someone posts before me).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones