• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Huawei Ascend Y201 - a few basics...

chinaysa

Lurker
Jul 7, 2013
Hi - I've recently acquired a Y201 (model U8666) running Gingerbread on a TalkTalk subscription. I've realised I probably need to root it as the memory is getting used up so quickly but have never rooted a phone before so am very cautious. I'd be most grateful if you could clarify the following questions please.

1) What's the difference, if anything, between my model and the Y201 Pro?
2) Is there a simple rooting solution for my particular model that you would recommend?
3) Would the roots for the Y200 work for my model?

Thank you - much appreciated.

Reactions: scary alien
Hello. I'm new to this forum so I have been trying to root my Huawei Ascend Y200. Have loaded the superuser zip file (upd_1.zip) onto the root at the SD card. Rebooted the phone in recovery mode. Selected the zip file and install.
Got this error back.

Signature verification failed.
Installation aborted.

What am I doing wrong? Have tried with other superuser zip files too but all tke same.

Help...... Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hello. I'm new to this forum so I have been trying to root my Huawei Ascend Y200. Have loaded the superuser zip file (upd_1.zip) onto the root at the SD card. Rebooted the phone in recovery mode. Selected the zip file and install.
Got this error back.

Signature verification failed.
Installation aborted.

What am I doing wrong? Have tried with other superuser zip files too but all tke same.

Help...... Thanks.

Welcome to the AndroidForums, perhojfeldt :).

I think the issue you are having is that you typically cannot flash a .zip file that's not signed by the manufacturer unless you have a custom recovery installed. Unfortunately, to get a custom recovery installed, you usually have to be rooted :(.

The signature verification failure message you are seeing is typically produced when you either have a corrupt file (partial/bad download) or are trying to install a file without the proper, expected signature type (i.e., signed by the manufacturer).

So, take a look at the other threads in this all-things-root area and see what other methods are used to root this device. Hopefully, the good folks that know this device and it's root method best will chime-in and help you out.

Cheers and thanks for signing-up with us here at AF :).

Reactions: perhojfeldt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones