• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Huawei files lawsuit against Motorola!

Jazziette

Android Expert
Dec 30, 2010
Under the Rainbow
Huawei has been making cellphones for Motorola since 2000 and manufacturing them under the Motorola name.

Now Motorola is trying to close a 1.2 billion dollar deal with NSN (Nokia) and isn't willing to protect the Intellectual Property of Huawei.

Now I understand why there have been such bad reviews (example: Cnet only rates the Ascend at 3 stars). I have suspected that these 'talking head sites' are being paid to give Huawei bad ratings. :(

I hope Huawei wins this lawsuit! From all I have seen and read, Huawei is more dedicated to the end user (including not ripping them off) than any other manufacturer.

Read all about it:

Reactions: lriv
One thing I've seen on a couple of review sites, and one of them was in fact Cnet, is that the Huawei Ascend has "horrible call quality" but I've not found this to be the case. I hear others very well (i.e., good sound quality) and they tell me that I come through very well so ... what's the deal with sites saying the call quality is "horrible"?

Seems way off from my experience.

Reactions: z_newb
Upvote 0
They also say it looks cheap...like plastic...and that the screen looks mushy and grainy. LOL None of this is true. It's like a deliberate campaign to 'smear' Huawei. Potential buyers do look at those reviews when making decisions. I think the Ascend is the first phone released here in the states to carry the Huawei name. The others were called Comet and IDEOS.

I think it's cause these phones (all of them and not just Huawei) are all made in Asia and the cost of manufacturing is wayyyyyyyyyyy below the retail price. And I'm sure it would be astonishing to all of us if we really knew the cost of say an HTC Evo or Samsung Fascinate or any of them.

Huawei coming out with a really nice phone at a much more fair price isn't going over very well. Apparently!!! LOL

Upvote 0
I love the phone. I admit it seems a bit slower (at times ... not often) than I'd like it to be and I know there are faster more capable Android phones on the market but my problem is you are then stuck with a very high monthly bill. Cricket's monthly charge is very reasonable and unlimited so it's hard to beat compared to the plans offered by the "big boys" like Verizon or AT&T or T-Mobile etc.

It seems all the "really good" or should I say "more high-end" Android phones are only available through them "big boys" as I call them ... hence you are stuck with a high monthly bill. Screw that! LOL

Reactions: Jazziette
Upvote 0
I was out of town over the holidays with family and friends for several days. Everyone but me had a very high end 'elite' android.

They were amazed when I told them what mine cost and they didn't know anything about Cricket. My phone was just as pretty (if not more so) than most of them.

And the ones who had the most problems were with Verizon. :p

Upvote 0
You bring up some good points - I dismissed this phone at first and was pretty hesitant about considering getting it for quite a while based on the reviews I found (which wasn't much around 11/2010) because most described it as a crippled Android phone in a cheap plastic case.

It wasn't until I went on Youtube to see the phone in action that I decided to get it.

I do however wish it had a better camera (barcode app is almost always a miss & I love taking random pics on the go since I bike everywhere) but I love the performance I've been able to get out of it doing some basic tweaks and deleting unnecessary files/ Cricket bloat-ware off.

Huawei definitely won me over - I can't wait to see what they bring out in 2011!

Upvote 0
You bring up some good points - I dismissed this phone at first and was pretty hesitant about considering getting it for quite a while based on the reviews I found (which wasn't much around 11/2010) because most described it as a crippled Android phone in a cheap plastic case.

It wasn't until I went on Youtube to see the phone in action that I decided to get it.

This was very much the same experience I had. Good luck finding what seems like an unbiased review on a cheap phone when you look at online reviews. Maybe you can hear the ocean when you put your ear to an HTC or a Motorola phone or something, I don't know.

I found it almost impossible to even find anything for the Ascend that wasn't some kind of spam or a repost of said spam. However, I showed my wife which one I was considering, and she went to the store the next day, tried out the Ascend and the M735, and was sold on the Ascend. After looking at hers, I decided to get the same one, and haven't looked back since.

I did play with a Motorola Droid the day before because a friend had one, and it was nice, but I just can't justify a 2 year contract AND a text plan AND a data plan AND limited weekday minutes, while paying TWICE AS MUCH. Oh, AND I would have had to pay about $100-$200 more for the phone itself, depending on the model. I don't consider the tradeoff for actual 3G speeds to be worth that much more per month while being locked into a carrier for a long period of time, especially if the data plan is limited. Granted, Metro's coverage isn't as good as the "big boys", but based on my location and the fact that I don't travel very often, Metro is an absolute gold mine for me.

Upvote 0
Hi Blast!!! That was the most accurate and awesome description of 'the way is' that I have ever read. I just hope that Google is picking up our comments about how good the Ascend really is so that we can help to combat the bad and unfair reviews that are out there...for whatever reason. I really like the Huawei company. I think I'll be a Huawei fanboy!!! LOL

Cheers! Great post!!!

:)

Reactions: BlastGT1
Upvote 0
One thing I've seen on a couple of review sites, and one of them was in fact Cnet, is that the Huawei Ascend has "horrible call quality" but I've not found this to be the case. I hear others very well (i.e., good sound quality) and they tell me that I come through very well so ... what's the deal with sites saying the call quality is "horrible"?

Seems way off from my experience.

They also say it looks cheap...like plastic...and that the screen looks mushy and grainy. LOL None of this is true. It's like a deliberate campaign to 'smear' Huawei. Potential buyers do look at those reviews when making decisions. I think the Ascend is the first phone released here in the states to carry the Huawei name. The others were called Comet and IDEOS.

I think it's cause these phones (all of them and not just Huawei) are all made in Asia and the cost of manufacturing is wayyyyyyyyyyy below the retail price. And I'm sure it would be astonishing to all of us if we really knew the cost of say an HTC Evo or Samsung Fascinate or any of them.

Huawei coming out with a really nice phone at a much more fair price isn't going over very well. Apparently!!! LOL

I saw those reviews too and they made me pause, but then thought...heck, it's $100 for the phone and no contract - what have I got to lose? I haven't experienced "horrible call quality", in fact it's better than I have on the land line. haha I've been on a "mission" to get the three lines on my plan with Metro PCS , right now I have two phones with them and pay less ,with more features, than the one phone on ATT, with only talk and text....and mine's an Android! :) Now, if I can only only learn to use all the cool features. :thinking:

Upvote 0
The reviews I've seen on CNet are okay and somewhat true. That is the only place I will follow because all the reviews I've seen have been true. I had the HTC Shift. It runs about the same as that phone overclocked to 710>512 mhz. Haven't had many problems with this phone. Stock ROM was very bad but mushy screen? Seems the same as any other phone I've had running Android OS. The phone is a great suggestion for teenagers and any one who is paying for family. Cricket service is honestly suggested though seeing as MetroPCS doesn't have 3G. Between this phone and the LG Optimus C I picked this. Bigger screen, almost perfect Cyanogen MOD 7 ROM (thankyou isaacj87 and contributors.) I rarely get any problems only problem is the camcorder doesn't work. Runs Angry birds very well. Stock ROM is okay for New Android users but for users who have had phones such as the HTC Shift, too much bloatware. But overall a good phone after modding.

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
The reviews I've seen on CNet are okay and somewhat true. That is the only place I will follow because all the reviews I've seen have been true. I had the HTC Shift. It runs about the same as that phone overclocked to 710>512 mhz. Haven't had many problems with this phone. Stock ROM was very bad but mushy screen? Seems the same as any other phone I've had running Android OS. The phone is a great suggestion for teenagers and any one who is paying for family. Cricket service is honestly suggested though seeing as MetroPCS doesn't have 3G. Between this phone and the LG Optimus C I picked this. Bigger screen, almost perfect Cyanogen MOD 7 ROM (thankyou isaacj87 and contributors.) I rarely get any problems only problem is the camcorder doesn't work. Runs Angry birds very well. Stock ROM is okay for New Android users but for users who have had phones such as the HTC Shift, too much bloatware. But overall a good phone after modding.
Welcome to the forum!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones