• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Huge battery saving tip, and silent phone call fix!

D

Deleted User

I believe I have finally fixed some huge issues with my phone, and I would love to share the knowledge with this community.

Issue 1: For the last couple months, my phone battery had dramatically decreased. Before, I would easily get through a day with moderate to heavy usage. Recently I have been forced to charge my phone around 5PM going home from work, just to barely finish the day. To me, this seemed unacceptable. Though I have had the phone for over a year now, I still found this ridiculous that my phone would be basically dead by the time I was done working.

The Fix: I have thought for days on what it could be that was killing my battery so much. The battery usage of the phone didn't show anything out of the ordinary, and I hadn't recently downloaded any apps that could possibly be killing it. That's when it hit me, GOOGLE NOW!!! This is the bloodsucker of all applications. If you remember with one of the recent updates, the "Google Settings" app was added to our application drawer. It was through this that I enabled features such as Google Now, and the ability for your phone to detect you saying "OK Google" from any screen. This seemed like a cool feature at the time, but I have come to realize that this is nothing but a battery kill. To fix this, go to your applications > Google Settings > Search & Now. From here, start by turning Google Now off. Next click on where it says "Voice", than tap where it says ""OK Google" Detection". I would definitely recommend to un-check where it says "From any screen". You can still keep it checked where it says "From the Google Search app", as this doesn't drain the battery at all. If you do this, your battery should drastically improve.

Issue 2: Even more recently, my phone has been having calling problems. When I would make a call, it would make that initial "beep" noise that is a signature with Samsung phones, but I would never hear a dial tone. What's even weirder is that the other person would receive the call, but I wouldn't be able to hear them, and they wouldn't be able to hear me. A similar thing happened when I would receive phone calls, nobody could hear anything. For a while, the only fix I had was to remove the battery. While this fixed the issues, it was very inconvenient. I will add that I also do use Bluetooth, both in my car while driving and through a pair of headphones when working out. I always make sure to turn my Bluetooth off when exiting my car or when I am done using my headphones, to avoid an issue similar to this. This still wasn't the issue. I was stumped.

The Fix: Fix seems to be simple. Applications > Google Settings > Search & Now > Voice > Un-check where it ways "Bluetooth headset". Don't ask me why this works, just trust me it does.

I will let you know if these issues pop up again, but it appears for now, everything's good... or at least until the next update!

Reactions: itsdarby

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones