1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

HUGE memory waster!! Free up space on your phone!!Tips

Last Updated:

1. Kmfiremedic111

Kmfiremedic111 Well-Known Member

My phone has been teetering on the low storage level around 16mb. I would occasionally get that symbol telling me it is low. I am not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but I discovered a way to free up internal memory on our phones. A couple ways. When you delete an email it doesn't really get deleted. It goes into that accounts trash folder and builds up forever until you manually one by one check mark it then delete it. If you click on the folder icon of that account you will see trash with the number of emails in it. Well I have a total of about 700 emails in trash folders amoungst 3 accounts. I deleted them all manualy and freed up 20mb of internal storage on my phone. I went from 16mb to 36mb just in deleting these emails.

Hopefully in future android updates there will be a way to COMPLETELY delete these emails and keep them from eating up our memory.

Another way to free up memory is to delete all your text message threads. I didn't delete my threads for a long time then my phone started blocking incomming texts due to low memory. I deleted my threads and cleared up another 8mb of memory!

Try doing these things and free up space on your phone for faster performance or more app space!

Advertisement
  2. sonicbluemustang

sonicbluemustang Well-Known Member

Open Internet then Menu/Settings delete cache. :)
    daisyjr1 likes this.
  3. Kmfiremedic111

Kmfiremedic111 Well-Known Member

4. Stevie D

Stevie D Well-Known Member

An easier way is to empty the trash file from your computer. As long as you have your e-mail accts synced, they will also be removed from your phone. I just verified this on G-Mail and my Optimus S
    beledi and shinedown87 like this.
  5. db09

db09 Member

I use the free 1-Click Cleaner app to do this. While the name is somewhat misleading, it doesn't really clean all caches in one click, it seems to be an excellent choice for non-rooted Androids and is very thorough in seeking out and removing junk files.
    Pthang, dierna, horate and 1 other person like this.
  6. TerryBerry

TerryBerry New Member

Make sure you put your apps on your SD card. Main drawback is some widgets will not work unless they are on your internal memory.
  7. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

mrbeankc likes this.
  8. rick00770

rick00770 Active Member

iv been getting that memory icon lately too,.good advice, I didnt know trash emails effected it , I try to keep cache clear, and history, there,s some good idea,s on utube , look up optimus s app , it will speed up phone too, there is also one called android booster.
  9. vandyfc

vandyfc Member

I don't see that the "trash" issue was resolved. I am up to android version of 2.3.3 and still there is no way to empty the trash on my pop3 email (I don't use gmail and I use the android email to connect to Comcast.)

It is just extremely strange that this topic is all over the internet yet there is still no way to empty trash on my phone.........a basic function of email.

Rather than getting another program, how about the writers of android fix the problem. It makes no since that some can do it and some can't.
  10. beledi

beledi Well-Known Member

As soon as I take my phone off the charger for the day I will check that.
  11. Nwilson1605

Nwilson1605 Member

JUST DOWNLOAD ANDROID ASSISTANT :)

Its a free app on the market... Really helps you maintain everything on your phone!
  12. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus Contributor

It also has a few more hidden things in the menu.