• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Huge Noob..many questions.

Eruptune

Dec 28, 2010
Ok so Ive hacked devices before like a psp n such and the reason I want to root my phone is because I want to overclock it. Some games like Dungeon Defenders and FF7 arent running that good on my phone(and they should be because I thought this was a high end phone) and I want to boost performance and make the most out of this phone. Would over clocking help? I also want to boost battery life but since I want to overclock it (that will prob contradict a long battery) Any ways here are my questions, What is the best rom to use for boosting performance for games and battery life?

Ok so Ive hacked devices before like a psp n such and the reason I want to root my phone is because I want to overclock it. Some games like Dungeon Defenders and FF7 arent running that good on my phone(and they should be because I thought this was a high end phone) and I want to boost performance and make the most out of this phone. Would over clocking help? I also want to boost battery life but since I want to overclock it (that will prob contradict a long battery) Any ways here are my questions, What is the best rom to use for boosting performance for games and battery life?

Overclocking would definitely help with the lag you're experiencing while playing games and it doesn't drain the battery as much as you think. As far as boosting performance, that isn't going to depend on the ROM as much as it depends on the kernel you're using with the ROM. Keep in mind you can't overclock with a HTC kernel (which comes stock with most custom ROM's) and will need a custom kernel. I recommend the following reading to get you started, it will help answer the majority of your questions.

Rooting for Dummies + Extras

-----FAQ's-----

Here's a list of all the custom ROM's available right now:

HTC Supersonic-ROM's

You can find a link to a list of custom kernels in the context of Rooting for Dummies + Extras.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Should I decide what rom Im going to use before I follow these instructions? btw I read the user reviews and it sounds like it would work. Would you have any better recommendations though? Also since there arent any reviews of kernels on that post Im sort of lost on what kernel to choose got and recommendation of those too? xD

Upvote 0
Should I decide what rom Im going to use before I follow these instructions? btw I read the user reviews and it sounds like it would work. Would you have any better recommendations though? Also since there arent any reviews of kernels on that post Im sort of lost on what kernel to choose got and recommendation of those too? xD

It's up to you what order you decide, but you really won't know what ROM you like until you try em out ;). I'm using Myn's RLS4. I've tried other ROM's, but end up going back to Myn's after a couple hours lol if that!

As far as kernels are concerned, once you flash the ROM you choose, keep trying different kernels until you find one that gives you the performance/battery life/stability you're seeking to achieve. I use Netarchy 4.2.1. cfs more havs, overclocked to 1152 and I typically get about 48 hours on one charge.

First things first though, get your phone rooted, choose a ROM, then choose a kernel to try out.

I was just informed that unrevoked 3.3 is up and running so it'll be much easier to root your phone using this method.

Unrevoked

Upvote 0
Sweet so its not hard to switch roms that I dont like? Like if I wanted to switch roms would I have start the whole process over again? and whats the difference between unrevoked 3 and unrevoked forever?

Switching/Flashing ROM's is a simple process (refer back to Rooting For Dummies + Extras for a step by step). I'm not sure what you mean "start the whole process over again"

Unrevoked3 forever unlocks nand access (s-off) which is included when you root with Unrevoked. There's also been a problem lately where the unrevoked forever included in unrevoked3 isn't flashing correctly after clockwork has been flashed. People have had to flash it manually. When you root make sure to check if you've unlocked nand (s-off) afterwards, if not, you'll probably have to flash unrevoked forever.

Upvote 0
I mean like re flashing the phone and starting from step 1 and stuff. Also do you know if anyone has ever said anything about bake snacks being faster then cynogenmod?

No. You don't have to completely start over again. The only steps you need to repeat when switching/flashing different ROM's are, download ROM of your choice, place the zip file onto the root directory of your sd card, and flash (either manually or using ROM Manager)! Do not forget to perform a nandroid backup before making any changes to your phone (in case something breaks or you don't like the results of the changes you made), and wipe data/cache/dalvik-cache before changing ROM's. It's not necessary to wipe data when changing kernels.....just cache/dalvik-cache will suffice.

Reactions: Eruptune
Upvote 0
is clearing the cache and devlak cache the same process?(leaving phone off for 10 seconds) also where do i get a rom manager? Do you have aim because I think it would be easier to explain over something that is instant messaging, but if you don't want to thats cool.

Clearing cache and dalvik-cache are 2 different things in the same set of options located in recovery.

You can get ROM Manager here.

I have to drop my daughter off at her grandmother's house right about now :D. I'd be more than happy to help you out via messenger when I get back.

Reactions: Eruptune
Upvote 0
Oh no its all good I kinda wanted to wait for you so I can do it right the first time and know forsure what Im doing. When is a good time today? Im gonna be watching the bears packers game ( i live in chicago) so Ill available like 6:30 central time.

I'm not sure if I'll be available and I don't want to hold you up. You have all the tools you need to successfully root your phone. Refer back to Rooting For Dummies + Extras and if you need any additional help, either myself or one of the many fellow Rooters in this forum would be happy to.

Upvote 0
Ahh yes I got it to work and I flashed the Myn's Warm RLS4/Netarchy 4.2.1 cfs more havs combo and it seems unstable like iike its freezes and shutdown every time out of no where. So how do i flash new roms? Do I just clear the devlik cache and partition cache and then just flash another rom and kernal?

Upvote 0
I'll post in here so to not start a new topic.

Can someone direct me to a thread about overclocking and how it's done? I think it's done with Setcpu but I really have no idea what the different categories are like on demand, performance and something else. Then there's different profiles you create. But I don't understand what the min and max speeds really do and did not want to start screwing the phone up so I left it alone.

Upvote 0
Ahh yes I got it to work and I flashed the Myn's Warm RLS4/Netarchy 4.2.1 cfs more havs combo and it seems unstable like iike its freezes and shutdown every time out of no where. So how do i flash new roms? Do I just clear the devlik cache and partition cache and then just flash another rom and kernal?

Try the less havs version of that same kernel. Some phones are sensitive to aggressive undervolting and work better with less havs. Let us know how it goes.

Flash them the same way you have been and before switching ROM's, make a nandroid backup, wipe data/cache/dalvik-cache....It's always better to start from a clean slate.

Upvote 0
I'll post in here so to not start a new topic.

Can someone direct me to a thread about overclocking and how it's done? I think it's done with Setcpu but I really have no idea what the different categories are like on demand, performance and something else. Then there's different profiles you create. But I don't understand what the min and max speeds really do and did not want to start screwing the phone up so I left it alone.

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/210253-setcpu-guide.html

Remember, disable any profiles when using a HAVS kernel because they'll conflict with each other. If you would like to use profiles, it's recommended you use a non-HAVS kernel.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones