Huge upload data ... where is that coming from????Support

Last Updated:

1. abb256

abb256 Member This Topic's Starter

I am using 3G watchdog + APNdroid since a while now.

I am using them in 2 Samsung Galaxy S devices.

Both where great at the beginning. and then awkward data counting where started to happen.

It is always in the Upload (transmitted) data
    it shows unbelievable data transmitting (up to 60 mb per day) although I never send anything from my phone (email, youtube upload.... etc)

it takes up my quota very quickly and that is not the only problem ,... actually this is the tiny problem.

The HUGE problem is that even though I reached 99% of the quoted data very quickly and I use APNdroid to turn off the 3G connection.

That data is still counting with the provider,.. even though I never turn the 3G on.

e.g.1 : in my first phone the quota was 120mb/month. for the first two weeks every thing was fine and my total usage was 14mb which is ok. suddenly in one nights it jumped up to 121mb of total usage !!!!!! I checked it immediately with my provider ... it was 115 which is a very acceptable difference.
    The APNdroid worked fine by turning off the 3G. but two days later when I checked it with my provider it jumped up to 240 mb !!!!!!!!!

e.g.2 in my second phone (actually my friend's) he started to using the device and the 3G watchdog on Nov 5th (attached is his daily log from 3G watchdog) it seems there is a very high upload activity with 14 mb on average per day sometimes up to near 40mb/day
    my friend quota was 250mb/month and the 3G watchdog + APNDroid again did a good job by terminating the connection when it is 99%.
    but unfortunately when we checked it with the provider it was 490mb usage !!!! (1 mb extra will cost $0.53) and that is a lot of money.
    again one day later (today) it is 502 mb !!!!!

I am really don't know what is happening here and why it is giving different numbers than the provider's ALSO I am not sure where is this upload activities is coming from .

Please help me out here :(

Thanks a lot

P.S. sorry for the double post... but I am not sure where to post :(

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

Try keeping your phone turned off for one or two days. (may be over the weekends). If you must use a cellphone, see if you can borrow some old 2G phone with no internet capability. After that, check with your provider. There's a chance that there's a problem with their system.

3. abb256

abb256 Member This Topic's Starter

I think that there is something wrong with there system

as we already have stories with them for the phone bills and subscriptions to services that we never asked for ,,,, its a disaster but I cannot keep my number with other providers :(

4. shooternz

shooternz Member

Is your WIFi and Bluetooth secure (and turned off)?

5. dc2447

dc2447 Well-Known Member

skype?

6. Evankb

Evankb New Member

could a music downloading app do this? Maybe it is sharing your music with others.

7. Beards

Beards Well-Known Member

There was a very similar query to this on xda-devs which I replied to.
    In the end it was found to be an error with the providers data counter.
    I would suggest you contact them and explain what has happened.
    b.t.w. ~ which company provides you with your Internet Data stream?

8. locke09

locke09 New Member

hi,

I've realized something similar with my SGS.
    I'm using the device right now for 2 months and realized that my monthly limit of 100MB was used approximately within 2 weeks.
    I upgraded to 250MB / month.
    anyway,

as previously Win6.5 user (Omnia II) I had never problems with the data amount.

Now I'm using TrafficStats and enabled "Show System apps" from settings.
    Bingo!
    there are System applications which use enormous data.
    But WHY?????? :mad:
    It makes me suspicious...

There is SIM toolkit (wipeoutreceiver, CSC, SimDetachNotifier etc) which uses 4.8/7.6MB /day??????
    Settings general (CP Message, Perso, Network Location, Self Test Mode.....) which uses 1.2/12MB (upload/Download)

And I took aspecially care that the location services etc are OFF...

Is android that much insecure?
    I didn't like this...

I don't want to disable data because I need to use this phone for my e-mail and Internet access.
    And that is really not much within a month. max 100MB...

Any suggestion??
    Help needed..... :D

9. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

SIM toolkit is something that came with your carrier, not the phone, so you will have to ask them about it. As for settings, it's probably part of the sync process (contacts, email, etc.)

10. locke09

locke09 New Member

based on the description I guess so.... :cool:

But then I had to have the same problems with my previous devices aswell.
    I have that now only with this android device.
    same SIM same carrier. etc.

11. gpoturlu

gpoturlu New Member

Dear abb256, I would like to recommend first the application I am using for monitoring my mobile phone usage: PhoneUsage. You can find it on the Android Market. I am using the free version, which gives you only reports. I saw that in the Pro, paid, version, it sends also alerts on task bar when some limits are reached. I can give you one reason why your situation is in deed possible: if you have some music sharing application on your mobile, then uploads are possible. In my case I am closing myself the data connection over night from the mobile phone menu: Settings > Wireless and network > Mobile networks > Use packet data (uncheck this option). So far i was able to keep under control the data traffic, the application I told you about is giving me the same values as registered by the Data Carrier, the Data Carrier is also sending me reports, on demand, about my current values of traffic. I hope you will find the source of your data traffic and please let us know what it was.

Best regards,

Gabriel

12. TZS

TZS New Member

Help Please! I am not sure if I have the same issue as abb256 so aplogies if this is the wrong thread or if I should have started a new one.

I got a Galaxy S on Orange Racoon 25 end of November 2010. My last two phone bills have gone from