Hydra Undervolted Kernel

Last Updated:

1. mickym5

mickym5 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have not really noticed any real improvement in battery life using the undervolted hydra kernel. Am I doing something wrong, or has anybody else noticed this?

Advertisement
  2. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

I found the same thing. I also had some screen tearing when using it.

3. Dmtalon

Dmtalon Well-Known Member

I have definitely noticed an improvement in battery life. I've only been using it for two "normal" days now (3rd day total). Yesterday was my first back to work, typical usage. My battery display didn't move much until like 4:30pm. At 11pm last night I was at 47% and that was taken off the charger around 6:30am w/o any bump charging.

Seidio 1750 battery.

4. mickym5

mickym5 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What do you mean by screen tearing

5. iowabowtech

Looks like scrolling, horizontal lines kinda like static looked on an old TV only not nearly as obvious. Especially noticeable on white screens.

6. TheWhiteBandito

TheWhiteBandito Well-Known Member

I have the overclocked kernel which is also undervolted, and I experience in an increase in battery life... are you sure the kernel is installed correctly?

7. crazydog

crazydog Well-Known Member

Use SetCPU with the kernels to get better battery life! :p
    Ever since installing the undervolt stock clock kernels, and using SetCPU (245MHz max when screen is off, slower clock speed as the phone gets hotter/battery goes down), I get up to 4 hours more battery life than with the stock kernels.

8. iowabowtech

IDK, I used the standard undvervolt w/ wireless N. Installed on two separate occasions and had the same thing both times. Never ran SetCPU with it however. I didn't realize I could with that kernel.

9. TheWhiteBandito

TheWhiteBandito Well-Known Member

I don't suggest using SetCPU with it. The developer only has two guidelines for the kernels, this is rule #2

10. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

make profiles with set cpu makes it much better for sleeping if you underclock

11. cuban11182

cuban11182 Well-Known Member

I used the uv for a while now. Just switched to ov 1.15. Hopefully dont have any stability issues.

12. welbinator

welbinator Well-Known Member

are the kernals specific at all to your software version? can I use the hydra kernal i was using with my 2.1 on my cyanogenmod 2.2?

13. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

No, definitely not. 2.1 kernels are 2.6.29 and 2.2 kernels are 2.6.36 or something like that, either way don't do it.

I can't find it right now, but from what I understand there is a CM6 kernel that was released recently to use for cyanogen

14. tco05

tco05 Active Member

I had a hydra kernel before I went to 2.2. I noticed a decent positive difference when I had "normal" usage. But heavy usage dragged the power down much faster.

15. mindleak

mindleak Member

I could get through an entire day with 2.1 + undervolt kernel... now I'm on 2.2 and my phone dies hours before I go to bed... might go back to 2.1 for now :\

16. welbinator

the hydra kernels work with CM6 but it disables the camera. possibly other things too I dunno. my hotspot does not work (the one in settings > wireless & networks > tethering & portalbe hotspot) but I don't know if that's the kernel's fault or CM6's fault.

anyways it's not worth it to me. I'd rather have a camera than a few hundred more MHz.

17. welbinator

just FYI I restored my phone to CM6 with the stock CM6 kernel and the portable hotspot works now. so it must have been the hydra kernel messing that up.