• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Hydro Edge sdcard0 vs. externalSD

Hi there, first time posting. I've been working on sorting out memory issues for a Kyocera Hydro Edge. As far as I've been able to deduce, the problem is this:

There are three types of storage available to the phone: internal or just Phone, sdcard0, and externalSD. The externalSD is a 32gb microsd I installed and as near as I can tell the sdcard0 is still just a part of the phone's internal storage. Using "select primary storage" lets me either select phone or sd card, but when sd card is selected or any apps are moved to sd they are automatically moved to sdcard0, rather than externalSD. Using file manager apps (eg. Astro or ES file explorer) I can manually copy or move files to the externalSD, though moved apps will not launch (error message "app isn't installed" or something of the like) until they are moved back to either the Phone storage or sdcard0, though occasionally this process just seems to uninstall the app. This hasn't happened in a while, though it has occurred.
When manually moving pictures to the externalSD card there have been two instances of photos being deleted or damaged (changed to just blank dark squares) and I have had no success retrieving them with recovery software.

While photos can be periodically backed up outside of the phone and deleted from it to free space it's very frustrating knowing that there is more than enough space available on the externalSD drive but I dare not move them lest they be once again devoured by the buggy beast. Not to mention very few apps have been installed and already there is not enough room for more. There is occasionally not enough room to even stream music over google play.

Following instructions on the root forums I have successfully installed supersu with the hopes of using clean master root access to delete some bloatware, however the best I've been able to do is disable some of it, no options for uninstalling. I'm looking at gl to sd as another option to free up space that I haven't tried yet, however both backing up and deleting photos or using either of these methods is just going to be a band-aid on a pretty crippling problem that turns an otherwise solid, useful phone into some sort of cursed pretend phone that can't actually do all that much.

Hope I haven't left anything out or given too much info, just hoping that someone has any idea of a way to let the phone know that sdcard0 sucks and it should use externalSD instead.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

1) Just installing SuperSU doesn't give you root. You have to install the su binary in /system/bin, for which you need temporary root. Read ADB manually root almost any Android device

When you move an app to the external card, you leave a link on internal storage (where the system thinks the app is installed) to the app in external storage. Just moving it with a file manager doesn't do that, so the phone thinks the app is missing.

If the SD card is bad, if t's a SanDisk card they'll replace it, otherwise you have to replace it.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I'll start looking into that now.

That makes sense with the file manager. It also doesn't work when I try to move apps with the usual methods in the settings.

Is there any way I can check for certain that the sd card is bad? I don't think the brand is SanDisk and money's a bit tight. I'd hate to buy another card only to find it doesn't resolve.

Upvote 0
try using a card reader and see if your pc can read it. if not then it might be bad but if it does all you need to do is to format it. and to super su the person in the previous message is right. you need the su binary but its easy to install. if the phone is under 4.1.2 jelly bean you can use framaroot. its the easiest thing to use to root. follow all instructions and you are golden with root.

[ROOT] Framaroot, a one-click apk to root some devices - xda-developers

this is the site for the root tool. just download it and follow the instructions and you are golde. good luck with what you want to do

Upvote 0
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.humanlogic.sdi will tell you who made the card. If you have everything on the card backed up, h2testw will check the entire card by doing a read/write test to check the entire card. (There are other, even more sophisticated, tests that will check the memory chip and the controller separately do determine where the problem is if there is any, but for your purposes, all you need to know is whether the card is good or bad.)

Reactions: saturn_shell
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help! Sorry for the delay, life's been a bit hectic. H2testw revealed that it was indeed a corrupt card and a new SD card solved the issue.

As for that rooting method I'm hesitant to attempt being both not that familiar with compiling and more importantly not the owner of the phone in question.

Upvote 0
KYOCERA HYDRO EDGE FROM BOOST

I bought the phone 2 days ago but the boost version( same thing ) but when i see the phone storage is 1gb i decided to root the phone to gain storage and speed deleting bloatware and passing all the apps to the ext sd card...
But before i backed up the whole phone with titanium backup just in case that something funny happens...
BUT what i didnt know it was about the sdcard0...
Its an internal "external SD inside the phone" and i started to put all my apps in that location thinking that it was actually the external of 8gb that i have...
Error it was i overload the whole thing without knowing and my apps started to uninstall by itself and my external sd got burned( not pc recognizing ) replaced it with another one that i had somewhere around here so i lost all the data and stuff that i already had from the transformation to a rooted phone...
I guess isnt that much but the back up TITANIUM BACKUP says that is in the sdcard0 wich is inside the cell phone, now TITANIUM SAYS the back up that i made its unreachable at the location sdcard0....
I need a PRO in this phone that helps me how to load that back up so i can get my shitty phone back to regular phone or someone with a back up that can share it with me...
Im gonna start myself with astro and all that stuff cause i want to restore my phone.
Im not Einstein but my recommendation its if you like a quick phone rooted with no headeaches DON'T BUY THIS ONE....
And dont change the default storage download to sdcard cause obviously isnt the ext sdcard.... its the sdcard0

KYOCERA HYDRO EDGE FROM BOOST

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones