1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Hyperdrive RootSupport

1. Murray8503

Murray8503 New Member

I bought a S4 today and when I turned it on I seen it said hyperdrive on the screen. Had no clue what it was until I searched on here. My question is should I leave it rooted or unroot it? I know nothing about a rooted phone and was wondering what some of the benefits of having a rooted phone is.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Root means that you have administrative access to the Android operating system. In most cases, that means nothing at all, but some programs won't work without it (you'll see programs that say they only work on rooted phones). If you never use an app that needs root, it'll never make any difference to you.
  3. Murray8503

Murray8503 New Member

Okay thanks!
  4. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female Guide

Benefits to having a rooted phone means you can install a custom ROM. Custom ROMs are basically the Android OS sometimes heavily edited to add very cool features that you otherwise would not have. It gives you a lot more control over your phone. ie; unrooted you are a guest on your phone with very limited access. Rooted you are an admin with full control. Think of it like with Windows and the different types of accounts you have.

If it were me, Id leave it rooted. Is the Hyperdrive ROM installed on the phone? (check in settings > about)
  5. Murray8503

Murray8503 New Member

I have decided to leave it rooted. I started playing around with it today and I LOVE it. Yes it does have the hyperdrive ROM and I am currently trying to do the update for it but having trouble. I'm afraid I might fry the thing seeing I have no clue what I am doing.