Hyperion 4000mah battery and back just arrived!Tips

1. UserName872

UserName872 Well-Known Member

Haha, when they call and say hey you referred this person and all they hear are crickets on the other side they'll figure it out.

Battery was at 59% at 12:30 when I powered on. Left GPS and Bluetooth on, WiFi off, used Waze for an hour, about an hour of talk time and 40-50 texts. (Planning a move so I've been busy) and now as I write this at 6:46 its at 12%. Oh and I was logged into steam the whole time.

Interested to see how long it lasts after a couple cycles.
  2. steveu694

steveu694 Well-Known Member

Congrats. I just got my onite 4500 mAh battery last week. Cycled it 3 times. I've gotten over 2 days and almost 8 hrs screen time. Hope you see good results. And to me, the phone is now EASIER TO HOLD.
  3. UserName872

Thanks, I hope this battery works as well as what you have!

I def agree the added thickness actually makes it easier to hold.
  4. steveu694

Here are some screenshots of what I got. I can't kill this battery even with my girlfriend helping me!
    P.S. I'm originally from the Quakertown area. My Grandmother lives in South Philly. 18th and Oregon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. UserName872

That's awesome! I actually live in Montgomeryville off 309 and work on City ave in Bala Cynwyd. Are you still in PA?
  6. UserName872

Oh and those battery shots are amazing!
  7. steveu694

No, I'm in Texas right now. I have an aunt and uncle in West Chester, gm in philly the rest are in cape May nj. I was born in Abington.
  8. jason.stimmel

jason.stimmel Well-Known Member

I've got the 4200 battery, been lasting 36-48 hours easy with pretty heavy use, I like to play on it a lot. I like the extra thickness feels better to me.
  9. dennygreen

dennygreen Well-Known Member

Anyone know if there's a bumper with a good lip on the front that'll protect the screen that will work with this battery and cover?
  10. Diablo2k

Diablo2k Well-Known Member

Any of these extended batteries come with a red cover? All I see is Blue and White.
  11. Ballymoss

Ballymoss Well-Known Member

To me it looks like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist (battery life). My S3 never gets anywhere near so low that I HAVE to charge it , and I wouldn't like the bulky back even if it did.
  12. ldivinag

ldivinag Well-Known Member

guess no current case will work with that...

lol..
  13. UserName872

I agree 100% that battery life isn't an issue. I was easily going 24+ hours on a charge with the stock battery. For me though, I don't mind the added weight and some bulk to take that charge even farther. This weekend I'll be away on vacation and will be able to use GPS, hotspot for my wife's iPad and take plenty of pictures simultaneously without worrying about a recharge before getting back to the hotel.
  14. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

Hyperion has a case for $10 delivered and there are belt cases that hold it. I have two that fits.

As far as battery shots, not sure what relative info to others that would provide, since depends on your own actual weight of use on apps, app settings for background data, display brightness, Flash use, etc.

I get nowhere near the posted numbers unless I use the device lightly. "Lightly" to me could be someone elses "medium" use, hence a perception of great battery life.

Still, not raining on posts here :) A fair summary would be if you do not use you device much for media or web (especially streaming), the stock battery is MORE than fine. If you are a media freak like some of us, the Hyperion 4000 is a great purchase for $21 delivered.
  15. rushmore

I got mine, it is functional (kind of), but of course makes a big device bigger. The bottom gets in the way of the charger and I prefer cut outs for the power and volume, rather than the case covering them. Exacto knife time.

Edit: Nope, I do not like the case much at all after using more.
  16. davewoon

davewoon Member

That's a disgustingly fat bulge that you just created with the battery.... not the way that the s3 was meant to be. external battery dude
  17. kennychaffin

kennychaffin Well-Known Member

Thanks, I appreciate the info, review, and pic, but have to say,

My, it looks like a speedbump now. :D
  18. rushmore

I am either going back to the stock battery and my handy dandy clamshell case with built-in stand, or not using the extended case. It just makes it IMO too big. I will cut out space for the power, volume and usb charger, but the device with case is thicker than my HTC View- WITH body case. Yikes. Also, for an already big phone, it is taller & wider (of course).

If just seems like I am carrying a stand-alone GPS device around with me. You would think just adding a case would not make much difference, but something already too big becomes "too bigger". The Hyperion case fits well, none the less, but needs space cut out for the buttons and usb port. Too awkward to use the buttons and charging is problematic.

Added:

It just hit me that the key word that sticks in my mind is "awkward". Definite Batman prop and makes me less inclined to bother using the phone. Not too comfy to use now and the extra footprint makes it juuust too awkward to use one handed. Wild how a cover can make such a negative user experience, but the extended battery cover results in no threshold for a size increase.

Added 2: Yep, much better without the case. That $10 could have went for a nice lunch at Qdoba :(
  19. UserName872

Thanks for the info! You just saved me from buying the case! I don't mind the device at all the way it is with the extended battery without the case.

Currently: 1hr, 3min of talk time, 15 minutes Foxfi usage, 1 hour of Waze GPS, 150+ texts, google talk, 4 emails, twitter and facebook updating... Unplugged for 1day,2hours,37minutes and sitting at 65% right now!
  20. rushmore

If you can palm a basketball, you would be fine. I have medium sized hands and is too awkward. Since a sunk cost for me now, I am going to carve on it as mentioned above, to see if my opinion changes any.

Update:

I cut out the area and bezel where the volume, power and USB are. Makes it more usable, since easier to locate/operate the buttons and less chance of pressing by mistake. In fact, it IMO looks better and functions like it should now. Feeling a little better about the purchase.

Update 2:

Yep, I got used to it and cutting out the area around the buttons and charge port made it more usable, so still using the case. Got used to using the heck out of the GS3 and REALLY notice the difference with stock battery. Too slippery and exposed without the case and like the extra battery juice.
  21. GatorLCA

GatorLCA Member

Coming from a Moto Bionic(w/ extended battery), I'm used to the heftiness of a phone. To be honest, the S3 is an awesome phone but a little too thin for my liking. I actually dropped it yesterday because it slid out of my hand and thankfully nothing broke. I'm looking forward to the extra battery capacity because I work in a cooler and the signal isn't the greatest so the phone drains quicker than when I'm not in it.
  22. shortride

shortride Well-Known Member

I bought a 4,000 mAh battery before I got my phone. I like it big time now that I only have to charge it about every 5 days.
  23. dennygreen

dennygreen Well-Known Member

I'd be all over one of these if I could get a case or screen protector that would fit this and just protect the front/screen, without adding anything over the huge back cover.
  24. bigmahi

bigmahi New Member

I find opening the case for SIII is more difficult thatn the Nexus so dont want to have to open alot