I absolutely love my Droid, but the camera is awful

Last Updated:

1. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I love my Droid, it has been a while since I have been so excited about a new piece of technology, it is great.

But the camera, oh, my God, it is just awful.

It takes forever to load, focuses, takes a long time to take the shot, and by the time the shot is taken, the subject has already moved.

I was expecting something a little better, after all, it's a 5MP camera, right :rolleyes:

The menus are terrible, the switch between camera and video record is horrible, and it FC on me all the time

I guess I should carry my other camera with me all the time

Advertisement
  2. gonzoguy24

gonzoguy24 Well-Known Member

I am praying 2.1 takes care of this..at least partially. About 50 percent of my photos come out like shit...25 percent are okay and 25 percent are beautiful...so the capability is there. We shall see my friend.

3. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

It seems to me that not all DROIDs are created equally. My DROID takes very nice pics all of the time. In a recent comparo by one of the major sites, they tested the DROID's camera against several other smart phones, and it WON! I can find the link if you don't believe me.

I highly recommend buying the Camera ZOOM FX app. A much better UI that the stock app.

4. neemo6

neemo6 Well-Known Member

I agree, when I read 5mp i was like alright! Only to be completely dissapointed to where i dont think i would ever use it since its completely useless. I came from a 3.2 megapixel which took better quality pix.

5. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the camera seems "so so" to me. I'll post some pics I took at CES in this thread later...Some came out good, some OK. I got a few bad ones as well, but I think I didn't hold down half way for the focus to correct...

6. rlevine

rlevine Well-Known Member

agreed with the complaints here.
    i think the quality is in there somewhere. the photos i take are good, but the operation is very slow and clumsy. from what i've heard it's not related to the hardware. so hopefully android updates will solve these problems.

as for CameraZoom FX, i have it and i do like it, but i can't give up the onboard camera app. CameraZoom force closes a bit (i've never had an issue with the onboard app). if you are really into the whole photo thing i recommend getting PicSay Pro. it's a great mobile photo editor. and flickrdroid isn't bad. could be better but it's a great way to check out your photos (as well as your contact's photos) and upload new photos.

randy
    A Place For Photographs.
    Flickr: randyglevine's Photostream

7. Bramsy

Bramsy Well-Known Member

2.1 WILL fix this. (nervously crossing fingers)

8. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Pics outside are generally fine for me...this camera really needs light to work well.

inside they are a crapshoot...with lots of light they can be fine, but things fall apart pretty quickly when things aren't nice and bright, and your subjects had better hold very still...

9. joneee

joneee Well-Known Member

I agree with you as well. When I read that the Droid was going to have 5mp I shivered because when you try to put THAT many pixels on such a small chip you're bound to get crappy results. But people want to have a high mp on their cameras and cell phones so Motorola has to deliver in order to succeed.

Anyway, I tried Camera Zoom FX Pro and ended up returning it since it requires sooo much memory that if you start up the camera app without killing the rest of your apps using task killer, it will undoubtedly crash.
    What I do recommend however is Pro Zoom Camera 5X, which handles memory really well and I noticed that it takes better pictures than the stock camera app. I think their UI is better than Camera Zoom FX Pro too. One of the complaints I have however is that it takes about 5 seconds to save a picture after you click on "save" but the dev informed me that a new update by the end of January would take care of this. They will also be adding geotagging very soon.

10. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

:confused: Camera ZOOM FX is my default camera app. It has yet to crash on me ... not once. Then again, I think I am a little more anal regarding memory usage on my DROID than most others.

Again ... I respectfully disagree. ZOOM FX interface rocks! Are you sure you don't have your apps mixed up? ;)

This was the straw that finally broke the camel's back for me. Sometimes it wouldn't save the pic at all. :(

11. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

I'll have to agree. I think my droid takes very good pictures. I took a picture from a moving car and it focused and took a very nice picture. I do wish the UI was better but that's about it.

12. mully

mully Well-Known Member

Kick A$$ avatar!!! I'm going to the Caps/Red Wings game tonight! :)

Completely unrelated to topic....sorry.

13. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

I agree.
    This is a very nice program and perked up my pics quite a bit!

14. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

seems that outside does do better! inside, nah!

i can take HD vids outside and it looks great, inside grainy and not good!

same with pics! looks like better than 5mp sometimes outside, inside, no better than my 1.3 at times!

15. nycebo

nycebo Well-Known Member

Slow, grainy, overexposed, and mediocre. Please let 2.1 resolve these issues.

16. xavious85

xavious85 Well-Known Member

I approve of this thread! Outdoor shots are great but everything indoors sucks unless the lighting is very bright. I hope Motorola/Google are listening!

17. SteveJones

SteveJones Well-Known Member

+1 for Camera ZOOM Fx - tried all the camera apps and this is by far the best - has been working perfectly and taken some great pics

18. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Do any of the marketplace camera apps take good indoor photos with relatively low light?

19. tracerr00

tracerr00 New Member

Agree as well. It takes so darn long just to snap the friggin photo. And then I must keep hitting some other buttons while I'm trying to take photos because the search feature keeps coming up while I"m trying to snap. The photos I took at a company event look like crap.

20. gidget

gidget Well-Known Member

i have had 3 droids now, and the camera has been pretty much the same with them all (the first one, pre OTA update, was probably worse, of course). inside, low light pics are a crapshot, you can get some pretty good still life shots every 6 frames, and some really grainy ones. outside, i can get pretty good shots even while driving...er, stopped at lights. and the sunset and other settings work nicely most of the time. i've had good experiences with the video both inside (and with not great light even) and outdoors, so i think that works a lot better.

i cannot stand that this droid's camera button does not always snap for me. often i will frame a shot, hit the button (the physical side button) and it will not snap. it will focus, it will click, but it does not take the photo. sometimes it does, but it delays a VERY long time. it's ridiculous. it's impossible to take the photo with that dumb on screen button. and the settings scroll tab is really clunky and difficult. if they can just make the actual camera function as nicely as the new gallery for 2.1, i'll be pretty damn happy. but i'm not entirely hopeful.

i've tried both of the camera apps mentioned above, and stopped using them. i really just want a simple physical key camera that takes less than horrible shots. i've got a pretty nice sony at home, i just need something to capture moments when i'm without it, nothing too intricate or fancy. hope 2.1 fixes us up.

21. ParadingLunatic

ParadingLunatic Active Member

GO CAPS!! Sorry...had to Mully :)

I honestly didn't expect the camera on the Droid to be worth much. That's kinda what happens when you force such a tiny sensor to do 5MP. As for my results, my indoor images are hit or miss depending on light, which is what I expected. Outdoor images are actually better then I expected them to be. I'm not at all surprised with the lackluster indoor images though. I'm sure the camera cranks up the ISO settings and because of that you get a ton of noise/grain. This of course can be fixed with software, but only to a certain extent. You will always need extra lighting indoors with the Droid in order to have a decent image. It's the nature of the sensor.

22. ttaylor0024

ttaylor0024 Well-Known Member

My camera is fine, its the video that is bad on mine... I get these colored lines running across my screen 25% of the time...

23. gidget

gidget Well-Known Member

you're right, of course. i get similarly crappy shots from my sony h-20 indoors on auto focus. so...yeah. never mind. we're all mullied, i guess. ;)

24. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

Many times, when I take a picture, it's going to be in a low-light setting. What disturbs me most is that you often can't see what you're taking a picture of b/c the screen is mostly black. It's not until the first flash of the camera that you see what you're taking a picture of. And that first flash blinds the people you're taking the pic of, and when the second flash goes off, most everyone is squinting.

25. ParadingLunatic

ParadingLunatic Active Member

Yeah, I find that rather annoying as well. Once again, the only thing I can really tie that to is a possible mix of sensor and optics shortcomings. Cameras use a mix of iso setting, shutter speed and aperture to change the exposure. These tiny optics are severely limited to the amount of light they can allow to pass through to the sensor, yet another reason low light images suck. This is one reason why I always carry my camera with me (Canon Powershot G9) if I believe I'll need to take any pictures I want to keep. It's not exactly a compact point and shoot, but that's because I've never been happy with the performance of any compact camera, once again, for the exact reasons of the shortcomings of the Droid. Pretty much most compact point and shoots are all lacking in flash, optic capabilities, and a good sensor. All of those shortcomings lead to lousy indoor pictures.