• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I already hate T-Mo

What a bunch of idiots and a-holes...

I was all excited about jumping ship from Verizon, too.

Ok, here's the story/rant.

Last Thursday, I called up T-Mo and ordered service, told the nice girl on the phone that I was leaving my $100 a month Verizon bill behind for a nice, low $50 plan with them. She was happy to assist me with that, and asked me what kind of phone I wanted, and I immediately said "the Samsung S4!"

So she got that ordered for me, and told me my total would be $187 and change, and I agreed to that. She proceeded to charge my bank account for the entire amount of the phone and tax, somewhere around $690.

Now, I am not rich, and was planning on paying the $20 a month to pay off the phone, possibly paying it off early sometime in the future. Needless to say, this $690 coming out of my account hurt a bit.

The nice girl on the phone fell all over herself apologizing and promised that the money would be back within 24-48 hours. This was a week ago. Still no money.

I called up the sales line and asked the guy that answered about my situation, and he said he would check into it, and put me on hold. About 5 minutes later, another guy picked up the phone and asked me to go through the whole rigmarole again. I asked him what happened to the other guy, and he said he didn't know, and that the call came through as if I had just called. So, I started telling him my info, and he hung up.

Furious at this point, I called back and got another nice girl. She took my info again, and didn't hang up! I was amazed. I told her my story, and she said she saw a note about this happening, but that their records showed that they only charged $187 to my account, and that they needed me to have my bank fax them a statement.

:mad:AAAAARRRRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!:mad:

I asked to speak with her supervisor, and she basically said the same thing. So sorry, sir, but you are out of luck. We are going to charge you full price for the phone, and make you pay it off again in your monthly billing statement. Have a nice day.

So, I am sitting here spitting nails and ready to break something. I figured I had better get this off my chest on a forum somewhere, and came to good ol' Phandroid.

Thanks for listening.

Oh, I guess my main reason for doing this is to warn any potential new customers to watch out for this, and don't let them hang up before refunding your money if this happens to you.

Or better yet, just stay far away from T-Mo. Stick with your current carrier. Trust me, the grass isn't greener.

Not sure what happened there, but I'm sorry you had to go through all that. I'm sure if you get a bank statement and walk into a physical T-Mobile store you'll have much better luck (which has been my experience... I hate speaking to customer service on the phone with any company). I've been with T-Mobile for about a year now after being with Virgin Mobile... grass is lush, green, and feels wonderful between my toes. I <3 T-Mobile!

Upvote 0
While it's frustrating dealing with mistakes like that, remember that the other representatives didn't do anything wrong. Taking it out on them will only get them angry too and result in many "sorry, have a nice day" answers instead of them sticking it out and trying to find a solution.

But yeah, like others suggested print out your bank statement and go to an actual store to get it resolved.

Upvote 0
Well, ok, I guess they are back in my good graces. They refunded the money they owed me after two weeks. I guess I can live with that. Hell, what choice do I have? I can't leave, since Verizon is getting $150 ETF outta me. The other carriers are WAY more expensive, and I have everything I need at a reasonable price.

Thanks for the replies. I had expected more hate for T-Mo, but their customers seem to be quite satisfied! Hopefully, I will become one of you with time.

Upvote 0
Yep, T-Mobile is the reason people strap a bomb on and blow up corporate buildings.
It's unnerving and disgusting how there reps treat customers. It takes a lot of patience to talk to almost any of the main providers. I have been scammed by, lied to, condescending advice, stupid answers to questions, and the famous click.
I have paid my devices off. Then boom! I suddenly get a random charge for a "un returned" device out of no where. Conveniently 62 days after I could have made a insurance claim. I have gone rounds with them. Loyalty? Nothing is funny anymore. I have never got a long term result out of contacting them regarding any issue. Usually, companies that I have encounters with that didn't go well, I would just move on. The only thing I can say positive about T-Mobile is, nevermind........
Anyway, they inspired me to start learning about things like "rooting" and "unlocking" my device. I now have something new and exciting to learn about!
I feel liberated!
They suck

Upvote 0
OP here,

To be fair, they did fix my original issue after a couple of weeks.

But now, my bill is screwed up. I signed up with some promo that gave me 10% off and zero activation fees. I just saw my very first bill, and guess what. That's right, the promo isn't active. No 10% discount, and activation fees out the rear end. I am going to end up fighting with them over this, now, and probably won't win.

A month with T-Mo, and nothing but problems.

Oh, and I can't keep a call going for more than 5 minutes without being disconnected, even with 3 bars.

I never thought I would say this, but I miss Verizon. I never ONCE had a problem with them. If only they didn't cost an arm and a leg. You get what you pay for, I guess.

Upvote 0
OP here,

To be fair, they did fix my original issue after a couple of weeks.

But now, my bill is screwed up. I signed up with some promo that gave me 10% off and zero activation fees. I just saw my very first bill, and guess what. That's right, the promo isn't active. No 10% discount, and activation fees out the rear end. I am going to end up fighting with them over this, now, and probably won't win.

A month with T-Mo, and nothing but problems.

Oh, and I can't keep a call going for more than 5 minutes without being disconnected, even with 3 bars.

I never thought I would say this, but I miss Verizon. I never ONCE had a problem with them. If only they didn't cost an arm and a leg. You get what you pay for, I guess.
I'm a new customer as well.
My first bill is due 07/06/13 besides the annoying $50 deposit and a mistake a new in store customer rep made, I have had good service.

Whenever I call 611 there is no waiting and friendly English speaking representatives.

The data speeds have been good, the call quality is good, texts arrive promptly.

Nothing in life is perfect, If the cons outweigh the pros for you, you should leave.
There are other networks that will be glad to have you and you are not committed to stay.

You might even be able to ship the phone back for a refund on it.

Upvote 0
I'm a new customer as well.
My first bill is due 07/06/13 besides the annoying $50 deposit and a mistake a new in store customer rep made, I have had good service.

Whenever I call 611 there is no waiting and friendly English speaking representatives.

The data speeds have been good, the call quality is good, texts arrive promptly.

Nothing in life is perfect, If the cons outweigh the pros for you, you should leave.
There are other networks that will be glad to have you and you are not committed to stay.

You might even be able to ship the phone back for a refund on it.

Nope, I am stuck. I can't get away from this deal. It is perfect. I just hate fighting phone companies. Besides, my two week phone return time is long over, so I would have to give them another $400+ bucks to leave.

As far as speed goes, yeah, at work I get 15Mb down. 3x faster than Verizon.

Upvote 0
Nope, I am stuck. I can't get away from this deal. It is perfect. I just hate fighting phone companies. Besides, my two week phone return time is long over, so I would have to give them another $400+ bucks to leave.

As far as speed goes, yeah, at work I get 15Mb down. 3x faster than Verizon.
Ya, That is why I despise using credit.
Everything I own I bought in full in cash.

Debt is as close to slavery as you can get in the U.S.
Until you pay off your debtor you're their bitch basically.

Upvote 0
I would never buy a device from T-Mo under their new EIP payment methods. Case in point, Nexus 4 retails for $349.99 from GP, but T-Mo is selling it for $427.99. No thanks.

There is no question Sprint (and Verizon) did the same thing with the Galaxy Nexus, they just never showed you the total price they were actually charging. At $350, the Galaxy Nexus should have been free from any type of down payment (there is typically at least $400 for the phone built into the contract price you pay), yet both Sprint and Verizon charged at least $100 (if not $200, so a real cost of $500 to $600 for the Nexus) when the phone was released; it was a rare sale, at EOL, when it was given away for free.

The fact is that Google "subsidizes" the price of the Nexus series. It is unclear if they actually lose money on the phone or if they just sell it at cost. Regardless, this is why the carriers sell the Nexus for a higher price and why the Nexus is a bad example of a carrier overcharging for a phone. All the other phones I've seen, the GS4, HTC One, etc. T-Mobile's prices are roughly the same as other carriers.

Upvote 0
There is no question Sprint (and Verizon) did the same thing with the Galaxy Nexus, they just never showed you the total price they were actually charging. At $350, the Galaxy Nexus should have been free from any type of down payment (there is typically at least $400 for the phone built into the contract price you pay), yet both Sprint and Verizon charged at least $100 (if not $200, so a real cost of $500 to $600 for the Nexus) when the phone was released; it was a rare sale, at EOL, when it was given away for free.

The fact is that Google "subsidizes" the price of the Nexus series. It is unclear if they actually lose money on the phone or if they just sell it at cost. Regardless, this is why the carriers sell the Nexus for a higher price and why the Nexus is a bad example of a carrier overcharging for a phone. All the other phones I've seen, the GS4, HTC One, etc. T-Mobile's prices are roughly the same as other carriers.

Oh, I know that. I just don't like the idea of paying over time. I would rather pay full retail for the device upfront. I've gone that route for quite some time now.

Upvote 0
Oh, I know that. I just don't like the idea of paying over time. I would rather pay full retail for the device upfront. I've gone that route for quite some time now.

I won't argue with you about paying for the device upfront, unfortunately the system is stacked against you. The one nice thing about T-Mobile is they have, at least, disclosed exactly what you will be paying. Better yet, when it is paid off your bill decreases. Until more companies do this, phone prices will remain inflated.

Upvote 0
k

That's what I do to keep unlimited data on vzw however it pisses me off that there is NEVER a sale on full price phones. After a few months a phone with a 2 year plan drops in price, sometimes to zero. That's basically like a $200 off sale so why not offer a sale on full price phones? I just don't trust investing $400 or more with ebay or swappa and hoping my used phone with no warranty holds up.

BTW, I have horror stories about vzw too. Once vzw refused to allow my wife to cancel an 11 year old corporate account! A sales rep had to basically tell me some password we never knew in the first place to let us out. It looked like we'd be paying vzw $18 a month for life! I mean they just wouldn't allow us to cancel even though bills had been sent to our home and we had paid them all along. It makes me anxious just thinking about it. It took months to straighten out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones