I already have dust under my screen!

Last Updated:

1. rookie1082

rookie1082 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't believe it... I have been playing with this phone for 6 hours or so, and I just wiped it down with a cloth... and there are specs of dust underneath the screen that I can't get to!

WTF! Anyone else?

Advertisement
  2. TaeKwonDonkey

TaeKwonDonkey Active Member

Already this is not looking good. Reminds me of the Droid

3. rookie1082

I had the same problem with 3 iPhone 3G's...

Always got dust underneath them. Granted I always keep the phones in my pocket at all times, but there should NOT be any dust getting in.
    :(

4. 7thson

7thson Active Member

Wow that sucks..

How does insurance work on these phones? Anyone getting insurance through T-Mobile if you bought it at full price off-contract?

5. TaeKwonDonkey

Your answer is in here

6. snovvman

snovvman Well-Known Member

Wow... That was one of the reasons I returned the Hero. Many people have that problem.

I kept the N1 in my pocket all day, now looking at the screen (turned off) under bright light, I see 3 specks of dust.

Grrrr....

7. TaeKwonDonkey

Sounds like its becoming a problem on a lot of Android phones now and its not just limited to HTC.

8. 7thson

7thson Active Member

Thanks!

Sorry for the OT question, but are you snovvman from ppcgeeks.com?

9. snovvman

Yes, indeed I am. Also the same snovvman from XDA and many other forums :D

My Touch Diamond (HTC) had from the day it was released: No dust, been in my pocket all this time. T-Mobile Touch Pro2, Sprint Touch Pro2, Sprint Touch Pro (1), all carried in pocket, no dust.

2 Heros, dust within a day. Nexus One, DUST TODAY!

10. rookie1082

Ridiculous...

My friends 1st gen iphone has not one spec of dust... And he has been carrying it in his pocket from the day he got it... 2 1/2 years ago..

Very irritating.

11. Napoleon_PhoneApart

Napoleon_PhoneApart Well-Known Member

I've owned three iPhones and never had a speck of dust under the screen.

12. 7thson

7thson Active Member

Dust is android-specific, don't you know that? :D

13. BrianR

BrianR Well-Known Member

Did you have the back cover off much/at all?

I just got my 2 first specs of dust in my Hero - just now - and it wasnt from being DIRTY, it was from being CLEAN.

I just decided to take the back cover off and give the phone a good wipedown. I keep it clean at all times, but my old samsung Blackjack used to get grimey under the battery cover. So I took the back off the Hero and used a lens cleaning brush and lightly brushed the edges, put the cover back on and used a microfiber cloth to wipe the phone down, including screen, and g*dd*mn it, there's dust under there now.

It's enough to annoy me, but I'm sure it's not enough for BestBuy to do an exchange.

lol. literally 2 tiny specs and I'm going mental. (And I am, by no means, a "neat freak".)

14. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

15. nyfinest32

nyfinest32 Well-Known Member

Are u guys using the pouch that comes with the n1?

16. six2one

six2one Active Member

the first gen blackberry curves (83xx series) had this problem. the good news is that you could take it apart and not void the warranty and clean it when this happened.

dust under the screen, no matter how minor is annoying as HELL. it drives me nuts.

on another note...i asked my google friend and he said none of theirs have dust.

17. snovvman

Yes... It's beginning to seem that way. I was really hoping that the N1 didn't have the same problem as the Hero.

Someone (on this forum, I think) took apart the Hero (posted pictures too) and determined that it was a seal/gasket problem. I had 2 Heros, they both got dust within a day. I carry phones in my pocket without protection :eek:

I think it's maybe time we start keeping track of how many devices have dust.

Edit:

Here is a survey to keep track:

http://androidforums.com/nexus-one/33982-do-you-have-dust-under-sceen-not-survey.html

18. burton71

burton71 Well-Known Member

All three of my iphones had dust under the screen.

19. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

htc eris, no dust.

20. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

I think most of the dust infiltrating these phones is coming from the ear piece. I think if you throw your phone in your pocket head first, into the bottom most part of your pocket (where there's the most lint), the ear piece is likely to be exposed to the most dust.

21. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

i would think the phone has a super fine screen behind the earpiece, most phones do to prevent this. then again the only real way to absolutely prevent dust on screen is to deal it to the cover glass as a single unit.

22. panmoria

panmoria New Member

Seems HTC that manufactures the phone doesn't mind. Tested some 2 dozen HTC Hero for dust - all of them had.

It's all about cost-saving / higher profit-margins. Production in a dust free environment a d dust-sealing cost extra.

But boy how long it took to get a dustfree iPhone 3GS. Testing the screen in direct sunlight all of them seem to have at least one piece of those buggers. Many have clear production errors with whote dust spots between the glass and black frame.

Anyway me won't be buying a N1 with dust issues. That's one of the early adopters' pains.

As weird as it is, most people dont seem to care about dust and dirt in their phones.

23. Ludo

Ludo Member

No dust under my Hero screen, carried all the time in my pocket without protection.

It's like a lottery, some are affected, some are not. But this is common to ALL phones (same with Nokia N97 for example)

24. alejovh1

alejovh1 Well-Known Member

Got my nexus one yesterday and today I have two specs of dust on the top part of the screen. It looks like they are coming in from the speaker grill. I have been using the pouch they included.
    Total deal breaker, will be sending it back or a refund before the 14 days. :(

25. kboy

kboy Member

Just looked at my phone and noticed a spec of dust toward the bottom left side. Boooooo... Now I need to decide what to do? Keep or Return? I was having so much fun with this phone.